after the Hawks premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong > Brisbane > Hawks > Sydney > Port > Collingwood > West Coast

No

Geelong, Hawthorn and Brisbane = @ at 3 flags, 4 GF's
Sydney is on the next rung with 2 flags, 4 GF's
Collingwood is on the next rung with 1 flag and 4 GF's
Port Adelaide, West Coast and Essendon = @ 1 flag and 2 GFs

The tie breaker are minor premierships...

Between Geelong (2), Hawthorn (2) and Brisbane (-)
Port Adelaide (3), West Coast (-) and Essendon (2)

So...

1. Geelong and Hawthorn =
3. Brisbane
4. Sydney
5. Collingwood
6. Port Adelaide
7. Essendon
8. West Coast

I cringe when I see our supporters make threads like this
In his/her defence they are only asking for confirmation that the Hawks are 3rd of the obvious top 3 teams since 2000.

lions>cats=hawks.

lions were an awesome team I never thought they would be beaten in one of those GF's. They were a very confronting team when they were on. Their best was just better than the rest of the comp, they seemed to turn it on whenever they wanted (like hawks 88/89).
Cats were the best regular season team I think I have seen over a long period(bombers 2000 were amazing for a year).
hawks, maybe have under archived a little(sounds ridiculous after 3 cups) I believe they were the equal of the cats for some of those years but soiled ourselves when playing them, should have won 2012 also. Our list is as good as ever and really should be there abouts for next year also.

No

Geelong, Hawthorn and Brisbane = @ at 3 flags, 4 GF's
Sydney is on the next rung with 2 flags, 4 GF's
Collingwood is on the next rung with 1 flag and 4 GF's
Port Adelaide, West Coast and Essendon = @ 1 flag and 2 GFs

The tie breaker are minor premierships...

Between Geelong (2), Hawthorn (2) and Brisbane (-)
Port Adelaide (3), West Coast (-) and Essendon (2)

So...

1. Geelong and Hawthorn =
3. Brisbane
4. Sydney
5. Collingwood
6. Port Adelaide
7. Essendon
8. West Coast

The fact that Brisbane have done nothing could still well mean they are above Hawks and geelong. You obviously don't understand how hard it is to win 3 premierships in a row (obviously if hawthron does it this year they'll go to no.1) but I'd nearly put that over 5 premierships in 14 years. Geelong only goes ahead because they were the most dominant side of the last 14 years overall and won 3 and one by 119 so that puts them above Hawks who have also gotten 3.

The fact that Brisbane have done nothing could still well mean they are above Hawks and geelong. You obviously don't understand how hard it is to win 3 premierships in a row (obviously if hawthron does it this year they'll go to no.1) but I'd nearly put that over 5 premierships in 14 years. Geelong only goes ahead because they were the most dominant side of the last 14 years overall and won 3 and one by 119 so that puts them above Hawks who have also gotten 3.

Well you've just contradicted yourself in this post so congrats!

3 flags in a row is equivalent to 5 flags in 14 years, yet there is no destination for going b2b with an equivalent flag count...am I missing something here :confused:

Last time I checked flags were worth the same, when did the AFL introduce a flag trade off for b2b2b flags???

I trust you 'understand' how difficult it is to win 3 premierships in a row :confused:

Was on
Well you've just contradicted yourself in this post so congrats!

3 flags in a row is equivalent to 5 flags in 14 years, yet there is no destination for going b2b with an equivalent flag count...am I missing something here :confused:

Last time I checked flags were worth the same, when did the AFL introduce a flag trade off for b2b2b flags???

I trust you 'understand' how difficult it is to win 3 premierships in a row :confused:
was on my phone and couldn't be bothered re typing it to explain what I meant properly.

It many cases the acheivement of winning 3 in a row is so good I'd take it over winning 5 in 15 years in many cases.

However, the dominance of geelong in the 14 year period of regular season and 119pt win in my opinion puts them above Brisbane.

But I'd take Brisbane over hawthorn as they had periods of fluctuations, missing the 8 etc.

There are lots of things that justify each of our opinions that's why i disagree with you just simply stating premierships and minor premierships as it doesn't always show how hard the premiership was or how dominant the club was during the whole period. Vice versa your opinion may be that Brisbane have done nothing since 2004 so can't be labelled no.1 which is fair enough. Definitely not an easy judging criteria. A lot of variables in the question.

lions>cats=hawks.

lions were an awesome team I never thought they would be beaten in one of those GF's. They were a very confronting team when they were on. Their best was just better than the rest of the comp, they seemed to turn it on whenever they wanted (like hawks 88/89).
Cats were the best regular season team I think I have seen over a long period(bombers 2000 were amazing for a year).
hawks, maybe have under archived a little(sounds ridiculous after 3 cups) I believe they were the equal of the cats for some of those years but soiled ourselves when playing them, should have won 2012 also. Our list is as good as ever and really should be there abouts for next year also.

The Lions were very different to Hawthorn 1988/89. The Hawks were the undisputed pacesetters having won successive b2b minor premierships, the Lions never won the minor premierships (allowing Essendon and a port to be the pacesetters) but found the perfect mix of form in the finals

Geelong 2007/08 was the closest to Hawthorn 1988/89 over the last 25 years

Was on
was on my phone and couldn't be bothered re typing it to explain what I meant properly.

It many cases the acheivement of winning 3 in a row is so good I'd take it over winning 5 in 15 years in many cases.

However, the dominance of geelong in the 14 year period of regular season and 119pt win in my opinion puts them above Brisbane.

But I'd take Brisbane over hawthorn as they had periods of fluctuations, missing the 8 etc.

There are lots of things that justify each of our opinions that's why i disagree with you just simply stating premierships and minor premierships as it doesn't always show how hard the premiership was or how dominant the club was during the whole period. Vice versa your opinion may be that Brisbane have done nothing since 2004 so can't be labelled no.1 which is fair enough. Definitely not an easy judging criteria. A lot of variables in the question.

Agreed.

That said the Lions most definitely had fluctuations, they basically won a wooden spoon in 1998 (having made the finals in the three previous years and 6 years thereafter) with almost the exact same list.

I'm not saying Hawthorn is most certainly above Brisbane (although our win loss is most definitely better) but to say that b2b2b should be a distinction (between Hawthorn and Brisbane) while b2b isn't (for Hawthorn and Geelong) is a contradiction IMO

The Lions never dominated the home / away season (unlike Hawthorn and Geelong) so it'd very difficult to position them relative to Hawthorn and Geelong - Hawks (70% since '07), Cats (72% since '04).

It can also be said that Brisbane played much more inferior opposition in 2002 (Collingwood 15-10) than the Hawks (2008, 2012-14) or Geelong (2007-2009, 2011) but that's personal opinion.

Last edited:
This debate will be mute once the Hawks win another. I'm looking at you Cats supporters. A Cats workmate said to me even if Hawks do 3peat, Cats still better. Lol WTF? I thought some Hawks supporters were over the top, but some Cats fans think that Geelong team (2007-2011) was the best team ever assembled, in any sport, ever in the history of mankind. Ammmm hello.... 2008.

Right now I'm happy to say Cats and Hawks are even. However it must be noted, Hawks did beat Cats in 08, knocked out Cats in 2013 prelim and smashed em in 2014 qualifying final.

This is gonna be a great summer la di da

This debate will be mute once the Hawks win another. I'm looking at you Cats supporters. A Cats workmate said to me even if Hawks do 3peat, Cats still better. Lol WTF? I thought some Hawks supporters were over the top, but some Cats fans think that Geelong team (2007-2011) was the best team ever assembled, in any sport, ever in the history of mankind. Ammmm hello.... 2008.

Right now I'm happy to say Cats and Hawks are even. However it must be noted, Hawks did beat Cats in 08, knocked out Cats in 2013 prelim and smashed em in 2014 qualifying final.

This is gonna be a great summer la di da
...and lost 11 in a row to cats :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

0.jpg

Now now now steady on there if the school kids didn't have Bigfooty on the weekends they'd be out stealing cars, doing drugs and having sex in my front yard.
Got infrared cams?

Id have Hawthorn slightly ahead of Geelong ( Brisbane 3rd - because of their inferior home and away record)

Why id rate it like that - is i think the competition has improved each year - and its alot more competitive at the top - so using that logic - i think the more recent the Premiership- the better quality

You go back to 2008 - StKILDA finished 4th with a 13-9 record - youd finish about 7th with that record in the last 2-3 years - similarly there wasnt much depth in 2007

In 2008 Richmond were been compared with Fitzroy they were that poor- similarly West Coast in 2008 lost by 135 points to Geelong at Subiaco - the Eagles were shocking - non competitive

And the best comparasim is Hawthorn 2014 v Hawthorn 2008- and in my view their 2014 team is streets ahead of their 2008 team- theve got Smith- Burgoyne - Hill - Lake -Gibson- Breust - plus alot better rucks - its chalk and cheese

Thats the worrying thing for opposition supporters - the Hawks just keep getting better and better( thats why i rate them 1st) - and keep raising - the quality/standard of their play each year - and as a result alot of other teams are finding it hard to keep pace

The Lions were very different to Hawthorn 1988/89. The Hawks were the undisputed pacesetters having won successive b2b minor premierships, the Lions never won the minor premierships (allowing Essendon and a port to be the pacesetters) but found the perfect mix of form in the finals

Geelong 2007/08 was the closest to Hawthorn 1988/89 over the last 25 years

Lethal and the lions realised there was no advantage to either finish first or by a good margin. It took a while for some teams to twig this.

Having said that, the awesome hawks of the late eighties would probaby cruise through most of their games, then quickly put teams awray in a short burst or two.

do you think that hawthorn is officially the 3rd best team in this century ? Brisbane with 3 peat, Geelong superstar team and now Hawthorn has won 3.. safe to say that they r the 3rd best ? or which team would b higher than hawthorn ? Syd? West Coast? Port? whoever else hehe.. i forget.. But i personally think they cemented their top 3 spot after this grand final.

Define best? If you are talking sustained excellence than yes, I would have Geelong at the top followed by Hawthorn with Brisbane in third.

If you are talking about the heights of the best football they can play, than I say Essendon of 2000 (cue calls of biased).......

Lethal and the lions realised there was no advantage to either finish first or by a good margin. It took a while for some teams to twig this.

Having said that, the awesome hawks of the late eighties would probaby cruise through most of their games, then quickly put teams awray in a short burst or two.

That may have been the case but their approach was totally different to the Hawks of the late 1980s who pretty much had a mortgage on 1st or 2nd for 7 or 8 years.

Geelong is the closest comparison IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back