NT Alice Springs: 2024 Curfew

Remove this Banner Ad

Let me give you a few bits of helpful advice
  • Most people who were Stolen Generation do not speak about the truth of what happened. They do not want to relive it.
  • The Rabbit Proof Fence version of Stolen Generation is a very kind version. No disrespect to Aunty as it is a story of courage, but it is nothing and I mean nothing compared to the brutality that took place. The truth is something that would make most people cry if they heard it. It is a story of pain, hurt, abuse and murder.
  • Half Castes were stolen so they would be bred out, mixed in with the whites. It was the split the litter system.
  • The Stolen Generation is still very relevant now. Some peoplein late 40s and their 5os are Stolen Generation
  • Second habd accounts of Stolen Generation do not wash.
  • The hope was pure bloods would die out, the half castes bred out and Aboriginals would no longer exist.

You are a condescending arse… how dare you dismiss my first hand experience? What gives you that right?
I’ll give you some helpful advice ….. your case studies and your opinions based on what you have read mean SFA to me…
racism occurs inside aboriginal communities…. I’ve seen it verbal and violent ..
also some of the missionaries truly believed they were doing the right thing.
There are also plenty of aboriginals that are also grateful that they were given education in those missions.

No story is the same. No community is the same….

Should we bring back initiations? Open wounds full of hot coals?
Allow tribal spearing?

And to be clear …. I have never supported the actions that lead to the stolen generation.
I support the voice to parliament.

Last edited:
You are a condescending arse… how dare you dismiss my first hand experience? What gives you that right?
I’ll give you some helpful advice ….. your case studies and your opinions based on what you have read mean SFA to me…
racism occurs inside aboriginal communities…. I’ve seen it verbal and violent ..
also some of the missionaries truly believed they were doing the right thing.
There are also plenty of aboriginals that are also grateful that they were given education in those missions.

No story is the same. No community is the same….

Should we bring back initiations? Open wounds full of hot coals?
Allow tribal spearing?

You do not have first hand experience of Stolen Generations so stop claiming you do. As for your experience with racism I would never undermine that. Your input is invaluable. I will tell you what my my case studies and the opinions I have read tell me. They do tell me SFA
You know what the fact that I am Aboriginal, I am one of your ‘half castes’ and that I am stolen generation gives me every right to have an opinion. Yes I was a ‘creamy’. That’s what we were called, not ‘half castes’. My mother was full blood, my father I don’t know him. A worker passing through. My brothers and sisters all dead (drugs, alcohol, beaten), incarcerated or not able to be located. I have nothing but the best memories of my mum and my community. She taught me to survive and that is why I am here today. We were one. Memories of the rivers, learning to spot crocs and fishing. A life of peace. I was ripped out of my mothers arms and she was left pinned to the ground. They beat her then from what I have found out later on, they took her behind a bush and men (authorities ) took turns at raping her. Beating her stomach continuously afterwards to avoid pregnancy. She later took her own life as the pain of losing her kids was too much to live with. We were beaten, abused and told they would make us bruised just to beat the black out of us. We could’n’t speak our language and one boy was beaten to death ( his skull crushed because he refused to comply). Yes that was your missionaries who thought they were doing right. The girls were raped. We were whipped with stock whips and beaten with the back end of fern hooks. If you went to bed not bleeding you had a good day. Despite having incredible resources I still don’t know my name or my birthdate. There is no photos of my family or me as a kid and my memories of my early life are fading. You second guess if they are real or not as there is no family to reminisce with. I just know the name I was given. The corrugated iron roofs suffocated you at night. The heat stifling. Your mother was belittled, we were told how bad she was and we were retrained.
I saw several kids die for a variety or reasons. I escaped into the bush. Surviving on my own at age young enough not to be at school. Yes my mothers and uncles skills helped me survive. I got to the Long grass camps in Darwin and lived there as an orphan before being fostered to Melbourne by the most amazing non Aboriginal people who gave me life, became my parents and not once, not once did they ever put my birth mother or people down. They made me connect even though I tried to hide being Aboriginal for 40 years. They built my mother up, made me proud. They researched for me and did everything they could to find my other family. I went on to have a great life. I was one of the lucky ones but I tell you it still haunts you at night, it wakes you, and even though you may have beaten it during the day due to wonderful professional support, it will come to you in your nightmares. As I said I have been blessed and I have always tried throughout my life to give back to our Aboriginal people because I am in a position where I can. What I have written is a censored version. Please don’t lecture me on the Stolen Generation. I lived it and unfortunately I will carry it to my grave. Those that have survived will die with it.

* Mods if this post causes any discomfort to anyone then please remove. Thanks so much.

Last edited:

Let me give you a few bits of helpful advice
  • Most people who were Stolen Generation do not speak about the truth of what happened. They do not want to relive it.
  • The Rabbit Proof Fence version of Stolen Generation is a very kind version. No disrespect to Aunty as it is a story of courage, but it is nothing and I mean nothing compared to the brutality that took place. The truth is something that would make most people cry if they heard it. It is a story of pain, hurt, abuse and murder.
  • Half Castes were stolen so they would be bred out, mixed in with the whites. It was the split the litter system.
  • The Stolen Generation is still very relevant now. Some peoplein late 40s and their 5os are Stolen Generation
  • Second habd accounts of Stolen Generation do not wash.
  • The hope was pure bloods would die out, the half castes bred out and Aboriginals would no longer exist.
Damn straight.

I am a Stolen Child.
I can still see the Police take us from the lounge in our home.
I can remember the Catholic Orphanage.
I would not wish what happened to me on another living soul.

I am sad, that people have so much hatred for our people.
We all bleed the same,but we are still treated differently than everyone one else.

You do not have first hand experience of Stolen Generations so stop claiming you do. As for your experience with racism I would never undermine that. Your input is invaluable. I will tell you what my my case studies and the opinions I have read tell me. They do tell me SFA
You know what the fact that I am Aboriginal, I am one of your ‘half castes’ and that I am stolen generation gives me every right to have an opinion. Yes I was a ‘creamy’. That’s what we were called, not ‘half castes’. My mother was full blood, my father I don’t know him. A worker passing through. My brothers and sisters all dead (drugs, alcohol, beaten), incarcerated or not able to be located. I have nothing but the best memories of my mum and my community. She taught me to survive and that is why I am here today. We were one. Memories of the rivers, learning to spot crocs and fishing. A life of peace. I was ripped out of my mothers arms and she was left pinned to the ground. They beat her then from what I have found out later on, they took her behind a bush and men (authorities ) took turns at raping her. Beating her stomach continuously afterwards to avoid pregnancy. She later took her own life as the pain of losing her kids was too much to live with. We were beaten, abused and told they would make us bruised just to beat the black out of us. We could’n’t speak our language and one boy was beaten to death ( his skull crushed because he refused to comply). Yes that was your missionaries who thought they were doing right. The girls were raped. We were whipped with stock whips and beaten with the back end of fern hooks. If you went to bed not bleeding you had a good day. Despite having incredible resources I still don’t know my name or my birthdate. There is no photos of my family or me as a kid and my memories of my early life are fading. You second guess if they are real or not as there is no family to reminisce with. I just know the name I was given. The corrugated iron roofs suffocated you at night. The heat stifling. Your mother was belittled, we were told how bad she was and we were retrained.
I saw several kids die for a variety or reasons. I escaped into the bush. Surviving on my own at age young enough not to be at school. Yes my mothers and uncles skills helped me survive. I got to the Long grass camps in Darwin and lived there as an orphan before being fostered to Melbourne by the most amazing non Aboriginal people who gave me life, became my parents and not once, not once did they ever put my birth mother or people down. They made me connect even though I tried to hide being Aboriginal for 40 years. They built my mother up, made me proud. They researched for me and did everything they could to find my other family. I went on to have a great life. I was one of the lucky ones but I tell you it still haunts you at night, it wakes you, and even though you may have beaten it during the day due to wonderful professional support, it will come to you in your nightmares. As I said I have been blessed and I have always tried throughout my life to give back to our Aboriginal people because I am in a position where I can. What I have written is a censored version. Please don’t lecture me on the Stolen Generation. I lived it and unfortunately I will carry it to my grave. Those that have survived will die with it.

* Mods if this post causes any discomfort to anyone then please remove. Thanks so much.
Excuse me, but I have never lectured you .. the oposite is accruing.

I have had first hand experience speaking directly to people that grew up in the missions. This is not second hand information, so stop claiming it was.
I’ve lived and traveled extensively in the Northern Territory and it’s communities. I’ve lived in the communities in a capacity that was different to most who work there. So I saw things. Things that I simple don’t like discussing.

And thank you for sharing your experience and I’m sorry for your experience, which is clearly different from other peoples experience. I would never dismiss your experience like you have dismissed mine.

I’ve Witnessed extremely poor treatment of half castes, FIRST HAND, in “some” communities … racism that I had never seen before …. Full bloods to half castes, they were second class citizens … it’s not something I prefer to discuss because it doesn’t do anything positive towards anything. But if you would like, I can give you 100’s of example.

…. And what you do you mean by one of “my half castes” ???????? Should I take offense to that?

Last edited:
Excuse me, but I have never lectured you .. the oposite is accruing.

I have had first hand experience speaking directly to people that grew up in the missions. This is not second hand information, so stop claiming it was.
I’ve live and traveled extensively in the Northern Territory and it’s communities. I’ve lived in the communities in a capacity that was different to most who work there. So I saw things. Things that I simple don’t like discussing.

And thank you for sharing your experience and I’m sorry for your experience, which is clearly different from other peoples experience. I would never dismiss your experience like you have dismissed mine.

I’ve Witnessed extremely poor treatment of half castes, FIRST HAND, in “some” communities … racism that I had never seen before …. Full bloods to half castes, they were second class citizens … it’s not something I prefer to discuss because it doesn’t do anything positive towards anything. But if you would like I to I can give you 100’s of example.

…. And what you do you mean by one of “my half castes” ???????? Should I take offense to that?

I never undermined you experience. I clearly said ‘As for your experience with racism I would never undermine that. Your input is invaluable.’

I too have worked in Aboriginal communities for over 50 years. I still am to this day even now I am retired

I never undermined you experience. I clearly said ‘As for your experience with racism I would never undermine that. Your input is invaluable.’

I too have worked in Aboriginal communities for over 50 years. I still am to this day even now I am retired

Yirkala is one of the nicest communities in NT.
I’d also say there wouldn’t be too many people living on the TIWIs that would say too much bad about the missions there and the influences. St Mary’s football club is testament to that.
Interestingly I believe the Rilois were originally desert people and were taken to the Tiwis.

So going back a few pages, the term “stolen generation” doesn’t fit every individuals experience in the missions.
Again I am 100% against what occurred.
So using the term Stolen generation when discussing the current kids in danger does nothing to help them!!!

Have we learnt from the stolen generation, IMO yes.
Would the atrocities that you went through happen again? I’d highly doubt it… it would be more likely to occur in some of these alcohol fueled communities.

thanks guys for sharing those brutally honest and at times hard to read experiences.
I just want to say, I'm sorry.
It really highlighted to me how different experiences can be within any community and that we need to remember that in this current discussion.
I think most people in this thread care enough to want the problem fixed, its just how to get there.

And “in danger” I mean kids that are in danger of ruining the rest of their lives.
We talk about breaking the cycle, this would need drastic measures, unpopular measures.
Or we just happy to fail another generation?

Last edited:

Thanks again for sharing.

In what is a terrible story, one shining light is that your foster parents sound amazing people.

thanks guys for sharing those brutally honest and at times hard to read experiences.
I just want to say, I'm sorry.
It really highlighted to me how different experiences can be within any community and that we need to remember that in this current discussion.
I think most people in this thread care enough to want the problem fixed, its just how to get there.
I'd even say politicians on both sides (well most) also do as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yirkala is one of the nicest communities in NT.
I’d also say there wouldn’t be too many people living on the TIWIs that would say too much bad about the missions there and the influences. St Mary’s football club is testament to that.
Interestingly I believe the Rilois were originally desert people and were taken to the Tiwis.

So going back a few pages, the term “stolen generation” doesn’t fit every individuals experience in the missions.
Again I am 100% against what occurred.
So using the term Stolen generation when discussing the current kids in danger does nothing to help them!!!

Have we learnt from the stolen generation, IMO yes.
Would the atrocities that you went through happen again? I’d highly doubt it… it would be more likely to occur in some of these alcohol fueled communities.

Some beautiful communities. Unfortunately many people from the Tiwi’s had horrific experiences. The Tiwi islands had the highest suicide rate in the world. Much of it attributed to Stolen Generation and inter generational trauma linked to Stolen generation. There is a dark history on the beautiful Islands. Old lady Rioli was from Daly River. Agnes met Jack Long when she was ripped away from hey family. Jack was a desert man from Ti - Tree. Both never saw their parents again and will both tell you about the devastating impact of Stolen Generation

But isn't the past relevant to the many of the issues Indiginous Peoples face today?

Absolutely. I’ve never said it wasn’t relevant and it’s the major factor of most issues. An ingrown racism in the fabric of the nation exists.
European colonization all over the world has been destructive.
But here we are …and now it’s our responsibility to acknowledge the past, whilst moving forward. To help heal and make everyone’s lives better.

Some beautiful communities. Unfortunately many people from the Tiwi’s had horrific experiences. The Tiwi islands had the highest suicide rate in the world. Much of it attributed to Stolen Generation and inter generational trauma linked to Stolen generation. There is a dark history on the beautiful Islands. Old lady Rioli was from Daly River. Agnes met Jack Long when she was ripped away from hey family. Jack was a desert man from Ti - Tree. Both never saw their parents again and will both tell you about the devastating impact of Stolen Generation

Lots of the issues also stems from Nguiu club. The spikes on the power poles to try and prevent suicides are confronting . Milikapiti and Pirlangimpi don’t have as many issues.

Last edited:
Thanks again for sharing.

In what is a terrible story, one shining light is that your foster parents sound amazing people.

No probs at all mate. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It has only been in recent months that I have decided to share. They were amazing people, life changing.

I don't believe alcohol is the "actual" problem here but rather just a symptom of the problem. but it is interesting to read the challenges between alcohol and discrimination over the years

FYI - the actual challenge is many people in remote localities have no hope or opportunity. no matter what we do for people, it will fail unless we can bring hope and opportunity to them or the other way around.

It's taken me a day to digest this since reading it, so I hope you dont mind me responding now, but its really sad to hear these things and I'm sorry you went through it. I'm amazed how you can get through that at all...

Worse though for me is that some people actually do these horrible things to each other. "Humanity" never ceases to amaze me.

It's taken me a day to digest this since reading it, so I hope you dont mind me responding now, but its really sad to hear these things and I'm sorry you went through it. I'm amazed how you can get through that at all...

Worse though for me is that some people actually do these horrible things to each other. "Humanity" never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks so much. Appreciate the lovely message. It is horrible and unfortunately it continues to happen all over the world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back