NT Alice Springs: 2024 Curfew

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would any self-respecting professional voluntarily put themselves in that environment?
Cops seem able to do it. What would stop experienced mental health professionals going there and doing their job? Throw some suggestions out there.

Cops seem able to do it. What would stop experienced mental health professionals going there and doing their job? Throw some suggestions out there.
The people don’t want help and won’t take it. They need greater police enforcement though, and they can’t reject it.

Why would any self-respecting professional voluntarily put themselves in that environment?
Or stay. At some point packing up and taking your family elsewhere has to have a happier ending than staying and thinking that place is getting better any time soon.

As for people putting themselves in that environment, what redeeming feature does Alice have to lure someone?! You'd need to pay a social/youth worker triple to go there rather than work in one of the capital cities where you can still help people in need but not live there...

Or stay. At some point packing up and taking your family elsewhere has to have a happier ending than staying and thinking that place is getting better any time soon.

As for people putting themselves in that environment, what redeeming feature does Alice have to lure someone?! You'd need to pay a social/youth worker triple to go there rather than work in one of the capital cities where you can still help people in need but not live there...
It’s good to know there are still people out there who think guidance counsellors will solve all of NT’s crime and drug issues

Been there, pray tell.
A tourist or ?
Unfortunately, yes

Dozens upon dozens of adolescent residents wreaking havoc and showing little to no respect for anyone and anything, nor displaying any interest in doing any better

Not to mention the screaming and crying that comes out of the houses all hours of the night

No other place in Australia has ever made me genuinely fear for my safety

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine living there, growing up there, and not being able to just leave.
While you were there, were you able to work out any of the causes for these outcomes? Or did you just react to the outcomes?
As in, do you just put it down to Aboriginal people being a problem?
OR did you look deeper?
I actually don't care that they're Aboriginal. If there was a similar place in Victoria with alarmingly high numbers of violent crimes committed by born and bred white Australians, I would support increased policing and in such extreme cases, actions like this (a short curfew with a set end date, to attempt to combat looting and trashing property)

OK, great.
So you don't think it has anything to do with Aboriginal people or being Aboriginal.

So what do you think the cause of this problem is?
(Without referring to differences between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people, as that plays no part in your view on this issue).
Awful parenting and community leadership, and lack of accountability for bad actions and decisions. As well as alienating the community around them who do good and try to make the area a prosperous place

My sympathy goes to the law-abiding youths who are affected by these decisions, but unfortunately the way forward is not always fair and just.

I actually don't care that they're Aboriginal. If there was a similar place in Victoria with alarmingly high numbers of violent crimes committed by born and bred white Australians, I would support increased policing and in such extreme cases, actions like this (a short curfew with a set end date, to attempt to combat looting and trashing property)

Agree. Who cares what the problems are. Now is the time to protect the victims of this rather than worrying about the feelings of these would-be criminals

Awful parenting and community leadership, and lack of accountability for bad actions and decisions. As well as alienating the community around them who do good and try to make the area a prosperous place

My sympathy goes to the law-abiding youths who are affected by these decisions, but unfortunately the way forward is not always fair and just.
Hit the nail on the head.

Youth crime is out of control across the board (seemingly worse in Alice) because they know they just get a slap on the wrist. Older criminals get the younger ones to do it for the same reason

Part of the fix is offering more opportunity to stop kids going down that path but ultimately poor parenting/lack of leadership is needed.

Why do people always have to be either one or the other.

I havent even been to NT but it looks like the place has just become completely out of control and police need to be majorly reinforced to bring things back for the safety of everybody in the community. But that of course is not a long term solution to the problems causing it, has to be followed up with major increased help in social services and working together with Indigenous leaders.

Really a sad state of affairs in such a wealthy country.

Why do people always have to be either one or the other.

I havent even been to NT but it looks like the place has just become completely out of control and police need to be majorly reinforced to bring things back for the safety of everybody in the community. But that of course is not a long term solution to the problems causing it, has to be followed up with major increased help in social services and working together with Indigenous leaders.

Really a sad state of affairs in such a wealthy country.

Because politics has become highly polarized deliberately by those who control it. Why? because we are easier to control divided and hating each other than unified and hating ALL of them.

I don't think it's just that, Achey.

Polarisation is a function of diametry: either or. When there's not all that much difference between either side, the differences need to be highlighted to provide people with reasons/issues to firmly support one side or the other.

People 'pick' sides because only the differences between both are highlighted in coverage.

You could be forgiven in thinking Labor and the Coalition are entire spectrums apart from their own rhetoric.

But they do it to preserve their position in the diametry, to prevent a third power rising or becoming prominent. As long as people can only drink Pepsi or Coke, shop at Woolies or Coles, buy a Holden or Ford, there's going to be increased polarisation between the groups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back