Toast All things Paul Roos + Coaching: McCartney joins coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends. Isn't he a bit suspect over the Dons stuff?
Depends, Justice Middleton is a Dees supporter isn't he?

I'm sure he can draw a line in culpability somewhere.:D

Essendon people love Goodwin's work from what I have heard... Would get around him.

We could do a lot worse. Liked him as a player and he was well-respected, so hopefully that's translated well into his coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are people's thoughts on Michael Voss?

At the time I thought he was rubbish, particularly with some of the trading decisions he made. However reading that he was told that he had to make finals etc I can gain an appreciation for why he did what he did. I also felt at the time he seemed a little naive in the media.

Now listening to him speak on SEN, he seems to have matured considerably. I actually rate a lot of the insights he gives and the opinions on situations he has. Maybe a couple of years under Roo's and he might be ready for a second crack at it.

Seriously though I reckon Goodwin would be a great get. Surrounded by Hird, Bomber and Craig the last few years would've taught him a lot.
Even if we forget his alleged role in the drugs-saga, has Hird really proven to be anything but a mediocre coach yet? Neil Craig, I liked him when he was here but he clearly didn't do a great mentoring job with Neeld!

I'd probably prefer others to Goodwin but really I know bugger all about it so will trust Roos and PJ to pick the right guy. Just don't let Garry Lyon get involved!

Even if we forget his alleged role in the drugs-saga, has Hird really proven to be anything but a mediocre coach yet? Neil Craig, I liked him when he was here but he clearly didn't do a great mentoring job with Neeld!

I'd probably prefer others to Goodwin but really I know bugger all about it so will trust Roos and PJ to pick the right guy. Just don't let Garry Lyon get involved!
People have forgotten how much he turned us around after the Knights debacle. Plus you can't question his football brain.

People have forgotten how much he turned us around after the Knights debacle. Plus you can't question his football brain.
The bombers made a final under the Knights regime. That's as far as the bombers got under Hird.

Knights also didn't preside over a pharmaceutical regime that has brought your club to it knees.

The bombers made a final under the Knights regime. That's as far as the bombers got under Hird.

Knights also didn't preside over a pharmaceutical regime that has brought your club to it knees.
As someone who watched every game of both coaches, I can tell you the difference was significant. Knights had zero defensive aspects to his game. We'd score 110 every week but we'd have 130 scored against us. Hird presided over the change that has us now in the top 4 defensive sides in the league. He also has had us at the pointy end of the ladder before falling away (fitness? coach? who knows who's to blame for those collapses), and had us up in the top 4 for the bulk of last year before the pressure finally got too much. He's a very good coach based on what we've seen so far.

And that's irrelevant to the discussion at hand therefore I won't dignify it with an answer.

Was over in Adelaide for month about a month ago and rumours on the radio were suggesting the crows are trying to lure Goodwin back home.
Also from Essendon though I don't mind Nathan Bassett

Was over in Adelaide for month about a month ago and rumours on the radio were suggesting the crows are trying to lure Goodwin back home.
Also from Essendon though I don't mind Nathan Bassett

Would he move for another assistants gig? Or are they looking at a senior assistant like us?

Would he move for another assistants gig? Or are they looking at a senior assistant like us?
no idea, Mark Rucciuto is Adelaide's triple M breakfast host and he was interviewing someone from the Crows (president/CEO?) and Roo said he's hearing the Crows after trying to get Goodwin back, the Crows guy denied it though.

As someone who watched every game of both coaches, I can tell you the difference was significant. Knights had zero defensive aspects to his game. We'd score 110 every week but we'd have 130 scored against us. Hird presided over the change that has us now in the top 4 defensive sides in the league. He also has had us at the pointy end of the ladder before falling away (fitness? coach? who knows who's to blame for those collapses), and had us up in the top 4 for the bulk of last year before the pressure finally got too much. He's a very good coach based on what we've seen so far.

And that's irrelevant to the discussion at hand therefore I won't dignify it with an answer.
Yep no worries, clubs would lining up for his services...

no idea, Mark Rucciuto is Adelaide's triple M breakfast host and he was interviewing someone from the Crows (president/CEO?) and Roo said he's hearing the Crows after trying to get Goodwin back, the Crows guy denied it though.
Riccuito isn't the most reliable source.

What are people's thoughts on Michael Voss?

At the time I thought he was rubbish, particularly with some of the trading decisions he made. However reading that he was told that he had to make finals etc I can gain an appreciation for why he did what he did. I also felt at the time he seemed a little naive in the media.

Now listening to him speak on SEN, he seems to have matured considerably. I actually rate a lot of the insights he gives and the opinions on situations he has. Maybe a couple of years under Roo's and he might be ready for a second crack at it.

I'm a Voss fan. I reckon he'd be a good candidate after a couple of years under Roos especially.

He coached a fairly attacking brand though - and I totally understand why Roos wants a coach who will not make major changes to the game plan, in order to provide the players with consistency they've lacked for many years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back