Toast Andrew Gaff - 250 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

I made it through a whole year steadfastly defending Petch last season, against all odds.

Gaff may have broken me after one round. I wasn't even angry or mystified watching it. I just felt sad.

It seems inevitable he'll be out of the side next week and into the foreseeable future. This is exciting for the young lads who will get a chance. But it's important we don't forget the immense contributions Gaff has made to the club over many, many years.

Whether he rotates in and out a bit through the year or not, I hope he puts his head down and becomes a great mentor for those developing in the WAFL. He can play a really important leading role there.

I made it through a whole year steadfastly defending Petch last season, against all odds.

Gaff may have broken me after one round. I wasn't even angry or mystified watching it. I just felt sad.

It seems inevitable he'll be out of the side next week and into the foreseeable future. This is exciting for the young lads who will get a chance. But it's important we don't forget the immense contributions Gaff has made to the club over many, many years.

Whether he rotates in and out a bit through the year or not, I hope he puts his head down and becomes a great mentor for those developing in the WAFL. He can play a really important leading role there.
He will be the highest paid wafl player of all time (apparently he gets $1.1M this year), so he'd want to be a good mentor.

Yup the goodwill contract after missing the 2018 GF is coming to the end

Still sort of thought I'd see you shoehorn him into your votes ha

Congratulations Kermit, I hope you get your mojo back soon.
He Looks Dead Amazon Video GIF by Red Oaks

Makes sense but kind of ironic how the main strength endurance players fade out unspectacularly.

Only round 1 but the end is probably getting near. Been one of my favourites since I started watching.

Agree that this is very important and as bad as he has been over the past season or two we may have forgotten how incredible he has been for our club over the past 10+ years.

Makes sense but kind of ironic how the main strength endurance players fade out unspectacularly.

Only round 1 but the end is probably getting near. Been one of my favourites since I started watching.
“Probably” getting near? I’d say that’s an understatement. I’m not sure we’ll see him back in the team this year unless we have some injuries

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has lost some speed and his ability to win the ball. His kicks are lacking penetration. He is done

You've started the week as the grim reaper - will we have any players left by the end of the season according to your standards?

He was invisible more than actively bad. I don't know which one is worse.

His 2015 season was fantastic especially mid year where he went turbo getting 30 touches a week.

Has lost some speed and his ability to win the ball. His kicks are lacking penetration. He is done
This is the main thing I’ve noticed with him. If he’s not doing his signature ‘wait at the back of a contest for a cheap handball and then throw it on the boot and hope’, his kicks lack any distance or penetration. They’re all high loopy flour bags that drop 10m short of the target.

I remember him failing to make the distance from set shots inside 50 more than once last season, which is pretty sad for a professional player. He is disgustingly one footed as well, can probably count the number of times he’s used his right boot on one hand.

That all being said, he has been a magnificent servant for the club and even though he’s not in our best 22 anymore, I’m grateful for everything he’s done over the years.

He was invisible more than actively bad. I don't know which one is worse.

His 2015 season was fantastic especially mid year where he went turbo getting 30 touches a week.
I don’t think you watched close enough. There were a few times the ball came his way and he fumbled it or even clean missed it. He did chase hard but simply did not have the pace to catch the port players involved

Putting his wonderful service to the club aside, and all his stats and achievements, would he be the most unspectacular wingman we've ever had?
I acknowledge all that he's done and wish him the best of luck, but I look forward to a team with a different wingman......finally.

Putting his wonderful service to the club aside, and all his stats and achievements, would he be the most unspectacular wingman we've ever had?
I acknowledge all that he's done and wish him the best of luck, but I look forward to a team with a different wingman......finally.

He's already been dropped after the first round in 2024, after being subbed out, after being made the sub in 2023. The writing is on the wall regarding his future so I don't think we need to sink the boots in on the way out. Peak Gaffy was something special. I don't think anyone saw the cliff coming for him so quickly and dramatically.

Would the cliff have come so quick if he was a premiership player in 2018? I reckon he's still moping around from missing that.

Would the cliff have come so quick if he was a premiership player in 2018? I reckon he's still moping around from missing that.
Attitude is one thing, but he just isn't physically matching it at AFL level anymore. Can't kick the footy past 30 metres and is slow as treacle.

Not necessarily, his body might just be physically shot from doing the team thing and playing through injuries last few years.

The way he's fallen off the cliff is reminiscent of Dean Cox in his final years when he could no longer match it with the opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back