Toast Andrew Gaff - 250 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Not necessarily, his body might just be physically shot from doing the team thing and playing through injuries last few years.

The way he's fallen off the cliff is reminiscent of Dean Cox in his final years when he could no longer match it with the opposition.
Don't remind me. 2012 AA to inflatable arm man by 2014. Was a hard watch.

I don’t think you watched close enough. There were a few times the ball came his way and he fumbled it or even clean missed it. He did chase hard but simply did not have the pace to catch the port players involved
"I don’t think you watched close enough." with something so pedantic doesn't make your points any stronger. Everyone saw the bad fumble early in the game.

He's already been dropped after the first round in 2024, after being subbed out, after being made the sub in 2023. The writing is on the wall regarding his future so I don't think we need to sink the boots in on the way out. Peak Gaffy was something special. I don't think anyone saw the cliff coming for him so quickly and dramatically.
Not putting the boots in, just being honest. I was never a big fan, I respect his contribution, wish him all the best, but look forward to a new wingman. That's footy, it moves on...

Not necessarily, his body might just be physically shot from doing the team thing and playing through injuries last few years.

The way he's fallen off the cliff is reminiscent of Dean Cox in his final years when he could no longer match it with the opposition.

And both had been candidates for our first 300 game player before the drop-off.

I'm glad the *ingg idiots at the club are finally seeing this guy is done.
Shame it took them 4 years longer than everyone else to notice.

how can we take the club seriously when Simmo is out there saying the same s**t about every loss and this spud is running around pointlessly every week?

how can we take the club seriously when Simmo is out there saying the same s**t about every loss and this spud is running around pointlessly every week?
Glad to see we haven't resorted to eating our own.

4 years you say?

That’s the beginning of 2020

A year after Gaff was in the AA squad of 40. Didn’t make the final team but making the squad would suggest he was playing better than most

Oh and he made the squad in 2020 as well

Probably should’ve been dropped at stages last year but more often than not the lack of available alternatives due to injury kept him in the side

I always find it amazing that an athlete of only 30 years old or there abouts can have a drop off in physical performance like Gaff is showing. He genuinely looks like he's in his 50s out there.

The game waits for no one. I would say he wasn't really the same after he whacked Brayshaw, but in the 2019 season he had 700 disposals..so who the hell knows...the game has slowly moved past him over the last two years and like Simmo said on Channel 7 last night they're 'blessed' with availability now so they can afford to drop him.

Last edited:
The game waits for no one. I would say he wasn't really the same after he whacked Brayshaw, but in the 2019 season he had 700 disposals..so who the hell knows...the game has slowly moved past him over the last two years and like Simmo said on Channel 7 last night they're 'blessed' with availability now so they can afford to drop him.
The game plan goes against his strengths also. Constant chipping around to find an opening suited him, because he could run all day to find space.

Now we're going for a much faster breakaway style with an emphasis on the contest, him not being able to either outbody an opponent, or burst through congestion, has seen him fall away massively.

Just look at Chesser's first possession, for instance. Reid gets clearance and Chesser bursts through the opening for an I50. In no universe if Gaff even remotely capable of that, but he never was to begin with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best wingman in the comp for years despite not being an explosive burst player. Death by 1000 cuts, exceedingly reliable option by foot without being a 50m laser style user, ran people into the ground for fun and punched them there for a change of pace.

His body has deserted him so spectacularly and it’s very sad to see the state of him now. Seemed a lock for racking up 300 games for the longest time, but now the cliff has eaten him. A one paced, endurance midfielder who has gotten slower and lost the endurance. Won’t be a 30 touches in the WAFL and press for selection guy, not moving like this.

It’s a real shame and all I hope is that once the recency wears off, people look back at when he was one of our most vital weapons and the best of the best in his position throughout multiple flag tilts.

Best wingman in the comp for years despite not being an explosive burst player. Death by 1000 cuts, exceedingly reliable option by foot without being a 50m laser style user, ran people into the ground for fun and punched them there for a change of pace.

His body has deserted him so spectacularly and it’s very sad to see the state of him now. Seemed a lock for racking up 300 games for the longest time, but now the cliff has eaten him. A one paced, endurance midfielder who has gotten slower and lost the endurance. Won’t be a 30 touches in the WAFL and press for selection guy, not moving like this.

It’s a real shame and all I hope is that once the recency wears off, people look back at when he was one of our most vital weapons and the best of the best in his position throughout multiple flag tilts.
Was going over Gaffs stat's in comparison to some of our all time wingers and he stacks up really well.

Peter Matera has more goals and highlights but is dwarfed in almost every other stat to Gaff.
(I know some stat's were not collected during his playing days so only compared what could be).

Was going over Gaffs stat's in comparison to some of our all time wingers and he stacks up really well.

Peter Matera has more goals and highlights but is dwarfed in almost every other stat to Gaff.
(I know some stat's were not collected during his playing days so only compared what could be).

Ive referenced him a lot lately but Mark Duffield did a piece on Gaff this week and the stats he outlines from when Simmo came to the club are pretty impressive. From 2015 he went on an absolute tear and was basically a lock for 30+ for a considerable amount of time there. Was a critical cog in us chalking up home and away wins for two GF appearances.

Ive referenced him a lot lately but Mark Duffield did a piece on Gaff this week and the stats he outlines from when Simmo came to the club are pretty impressive. From 2015 he went on an absolute tear and was basically a lock for 30+ for a considerable amount of time there. Was a critical cog in us chalking up home and away wins for two GF appearances.
Way too many reasonable and educated posts in here now - bring back the pitchforks!

For all the flack he gets, Gaff was important to the side for a long time, and but for a terrible brain fade should have been a premiership player. I thought he was a lock for 300, but alas, he's faded fast.

I’m almost 50% certain Gaff won’t be in our next premiership side.
Will always be remembered as a club great, his gut running in his hey day was next level, unfortunately Father Time has caught up with him, and it’s been plain for all to see for a long time.

Gaff and Darling came in and tore up the competition in their rookie year, lifted the whole level of the club tbh. Sadly they've gotten older and can't compete at the top level anymore. That's the world of footy. Good luck to em with their futures, hopefully they're good role models for the younger fellas around the club but they seem to both be pretty quiet guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back