Gaff and Shuey

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Going back to Toast and Roast Threads. Haven't seen posters on here doing the odd Toast or Roast anymore.

But I'll go with a major one for Roast.
These two have fallen off the cliff in 2022.
What the hell happened to them both. Was bound to happen with Shuey but Gaffs fall has surprised me the most. He has fallen more then Shuey. I would say Gaff is the player that's gone the most backwards in 2022. Biggest disappointment in the side. Both Shuey and Gaff is one of the main reasons for our downfall in my opinion.
Both use to be elite players but just been horrible watching them be half the players they use to be this season. They don't impact the game like they use to and Shuey has lost his biggest asset. His break speed pace. Gaff is the most concerning to me though. Is half the player he is. Just not even AFL standard the way his been playing.

I don't think we can carry both of them anymore in 2023. Shuey is old and lost a yard of his main asset and Gaff looks completely cooked.

What do we do with these two next season. Midfield isn't the answer anymore for them.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

I don't think Shuey's been too bad when he's actually fit, though doubt he'll ever be elite again. He could maybe go another year at half forward if his hammies hold up. Big if.
It's hard to know what to make of Gaff. I'd be happy to trade him for a second rounder at this point, but he could well have a renaissance in him ala Kerr, Cox and Embley in 2011. For the love of god, play him as an outside winger though.

Play Shuey and Gaff Forward Pocket/ Flanks for the remainder of the year to see if they could handle it.

7 games remaining. It's time we started to seriously experiment with our seniors being able to play other roles and push them out of roles they can no longer cope with or perform to do.

If they can't adapt then we got our answer on what we need to do come end of the season. Chop Chop

Ridiculously harsh on Gaff - he’s turned into a bigger punching bag than Andy Brayshaw’s glass jaw this year.

Go back and watch his delivery into the forward line on the weekend - when given the opportunity to actually play in his best role, he is still a contributor and we are a better team with him out there.

Shuey has no consistent base of fitness or form due to his continual injuries. He’s harder to gauge but again, he was improved again against Richmond. That all said, he’s 32. He’s probably going to go around again next year but another mid term injury could happen at any moment and end it all.

Thought Shuey was pretty good on the weekend.
Shuey still has heart. He was alright. But the criticism isn't about the weekend but a whole year so far and us changing it up now so we are ready for 2023. It's Shueys decline in ability to play midfield that's the issue. He is too slow for the modern game. Now is the time to move them both forward.

Been watching his game closely. Can't do his normal break speed pace runs through the middle anymore. That's the major concern as even defensively he is struggling to run with opposition. Likewise Gaff. Both are way too slow to play Midfield. Disregard nothing possessions on the weekend. It's about both offensive and defensive and what they do to be a mid. They can't do it anymore.

Both need to play forward.
They cant be in the centre square with Reddon. Kelly is the only mid we have with a bit of pace and able to apply pressure. Can see why it's so easy for opposition to beat us. It's lost majorly in the Midfield for us. We can't apply any pressure. That needs to change for 2023.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

Shuey’s best game on the weekend and he will still kill himself for the boys, just doesn’t have it in him anymore to stay fit.

Should be transitioned through the HFF but candidly that should have happened a few years ago to help save his body somewhat, so now I doubt it ever will.

Gaff. Tough one. Has declined in such a sharp way. I wonder if he’d look good in a better side or if he’s just cooked. Hoping that once people can reflect on his career they’re kinder to him than we see now, cause by god he’s getting push back after being an absolute gun for us for a decade.

Shuey’s best game on the weekend and he will still kill himself for the boys, just doesn’t have it in him anymore to stay fit.

Should be transitioned through the HFF but candidly that should have happened a few years ago to help save his body somewhat, so now I doubt it ever will.

Gaff. Tough one. Has declined in such a sharp way. I wonder if he’d look good in a better side or if he’s just cooked. Hoping that once people can reflect on his career they’re kinder to him than we see now, cause by god he’s getting push back after being an absolute gun for us for a decade.
I'll back Gaff in for next year. Needs to get on top of these leg injuries he's carrying and this ridiculous idea of playing him on-ball needs to end. His offseason should focus on getting his elite endurance running back and refining his disposal. He plays on the wing or he doesn't play at all.

Shuey should retire if he's not going to be able to play HFF.

I'll back Gaff in for next year. Needs to get on top of these leg injuries he's carrying and this ridiculous idea of playing him on-ball needs to end. His offseason should focus on getting his elite endurance running back and refining his disposal. He plays on the wing or he doesn't play at all.

Shuey should retire if he's not going to be able to play HFF.
To be fair to Gaff, his CBAs lately have gone down very sharply. Only attended three of 37.

I think he has better footy left in him than he’s showing, I’m concerned West Coast can’t unlock that and his trade value isn’t worth exploring so he won’t get to find it at another club.

I have no idea why Shuey hasn’t been played forward more, whether a flanker or a crumbing forward. Can still attend a few CBA’s but especially now the season is done, I have no idea why we aren’t giving guys like Clark that midfield time and seeing if Shuey can play elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I have no idea why Shuey hasn’t been played forward more, whether a flanker or a crumbing forward. Can still attend a few CBA’s but especially now the season is done, I have no idea why we aren’t giving guys like Clark that midfield time and seeing if Shuey can play elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He's the captain and we need leaders around the ball.

Looks like Clark is out to give Trew and others a run. Clark is contracted and we know what he can produce. The fringe kids we dont know if they are up to it and we have some tough list cut calls to make in another 6 games.

I think the game has passed Gaff by.

For a wingman now you’d want someone who has more leg speed like a Langdon, or contributes more on the scoreboard.

Gaff does neither. He can hit up a lead when he has time and space, big whoop. Time to move on.

Time after time we get killed on transition, we can’t retain players who are defensive liabilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More and more, Gaff is becoming the new Chris Masten: an elite runner that is a decent footballer, as opposed to an elite footballer with great running ability

"So Simmo, what would you say Gaffs best attributes are?
"He can run!"
"OK, and what else?"
"Ummm, he can run!?"
"And......?"
"Arrggghh, he can guard space?"

You get the picture

I will reserve my judgment on Gaff until seasons end as I am hoping that his days on the inside are now well and truely over.

Agree his production has declined.
Agree he looks slower.

However I have suspected that he is not a 100% right and that he has been carrying an injury all season.

I also think that the wear and tear on him and his body, the last few seasons, asking him to play the inside role have been detrimental to his game style and impacted his body in a harmful manner.

He is and always was- an outside midfielder and to have tried to turn him into an inside extractor has had a negative impact on his production.

In short IMO he has been played out of position to his detriment.

Gaff. Tough one. Has declined in such a sharp way. I wonder if he’d look good in a better side or if he’s just cooked.
I have now decided he is entirely cooked. Being on a good team would only result in him playing reserves.

A shame, the bloke has been really good for us but he’s done. It’s over mate.

I honestly wonder how Gaff was good at any point? He has no good points to his game other than 30-40m kick when he's got heaps of time on his left foot, which wouldn't happen often
I dont like to harp on about it but I never rated him even in his AA days. Got a lot of the ball yes, but was the least damaging player in the comp.

Hard to justify giving shuey a 1 year contract given where we are at.

Gaff will be the most expensive player permanently playing wafl next year also.

Your joking. gaffs been hiding his credits under the bed… where he hides when he hears footsteps

I honestly wonder how Gaff was good at any point? He has no good points to his game other than 30-40m kick when he's got heaps of time on his left foot, which wouldn't happen often
I dont like to harp on about it but I never rated him even in his AA days. Got a lot of the ball yes, but was the least damaging player in the comp.
And Peter Matera hasn't played a good game in 20 years. Overrated.

Gaff's best days are well past him but he was very, very good at his best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back