Luke Shuey - Where Does He Rank?

Remove this Banner Ad

If we replaced him with Ainsworth? Sure it couldn’t be done…

Replace Shuey with a Matera, Kemp, Cousins,Kerr, Judd. Easily although I would doubt we would have been in that spot to begin with if they were in the midfield…
Pretty funny because all of those played multiple grand finals and Shueys was the best of the lot.

They’d easily do it though right?

Really struggle with Priddis being named in upper echelon.

Elite take and give skills at contests, but gee we took some hurt from his opponents going the other way and his kicking was sub par.
I didn't originally think that about that with Priddis as well.

I thought hard about the decision in putting him in the upper level but his numbers speak volumes;

Brownlow
r/u Brownlow
AA in the year he didn't win the BL (should've been 2 AA's)
B&F (not in the year he won the BL)
4 r\u B&F's (also tied in 1 but lost in a countback).

That's better than all bar a handful of our all time greats.

On another note, to those saying that Shuey was better than Kemp, you're just showing your age and the chance you never saw Tommy play live. The guy was a jet and in our top 10 players for sure.

Shuey top 10? Nope

Bit of a personal question and I'm not sure of the relevance but probably one of the big 4 like CBA, ANZ, etc.

Edit: Ohhhhhh you said 'rank'. I've got a cold.

Shuey's "nail in the coffin" goal after the siren against port, 2018 GF Normy, and lets not forget his "shot on goal" in the GF wasting 30 seconds and then kicking it into the pocket for an OOB's time waster.
Clever player and with great courage and deserves to be called Elite.

Nah, Shueys game isn’t even in the same conversation as Materas….
And Shuey also played in multiple gfs.
Matera certainly had a brilliant game, I’d rank Shueys slightly higher given how tight a contest it was and his defensive work throughout. I can see the argument for Matera having the better game of the two.

None of the others got close though, it’s possible they could play as good or even better given the chance.

I just don’t see how you can say it’s likely, Judd/Cousins have a 5% chance of having the same impact, Kerr/Kemp maybe 2%, they’d hardly do it easily.

You swap him with any of those and at absolute best we win 1/10, realistically it’s probably closer to 1/30.

Materas 5 goals were spread throughout the game.

Kicked 2 in the premiership quarter taking us from a 3 goal deficit to a 3 goal lead.

1 in each qtr in 1st half when the game was hottest.

Only got 18 possies but was super effective

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kicked 2 in the premiership quarter taking us from a 3 goal deficit to a 3 goal lead.

Just as a comparison Shuey had 19 contested possession not even mentioning his other stats.

Matera set sail, broke Geelong and shattered Bairstow (Geelong best player after God).

Shuey ran around as he liked and kudo's to him, whilst WC let Adams do the same for Collingwood with his 31 disposals (22 kicks), 5 tackles and a goal.

Shuey's nose to the grindstone approach got us over the line, whilst Matera's brilliance turned a GF on its head.

Bugger stats....

Shuey (Legend) = Kempy (Legend) = Matera (Legend)

Priddis not so.

Not gonna disregard his GF Performance but a reason he was so good was cause how good Yeo was in the EF and that year in general. Pies decided to put most their effort into Yeo and Shuey sorta slipped bye. In the second half Yeo broke the shackled and Shuey wasn’t as dominant.

Not gonna disregard his GF Performance but a reason he was so good was cause how good Yeo was in the EF and that year in general. Pies decided to put most their effort into Yeo and Shuey sorta slipped bye. In the second half Yeo broke the shackled and Shuey wasn’t as dominant.

They moved the tag from Yeo to Shuey at half time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matera certainly had a brilliant game, I’d rank Shueys slightly higher given how tight a contest it was and his defensive work throughout. I can see the argument for Matera having the better game of the two.

None of the others got close though, it’s possible they could play as good or even better given the chance.

I just don’t see how you can say it’s likely, Judd/Cousins have a 5% chance of having the same impact, Kerr/Kemp maybe 2%, they’d hardly do it easily.

You swap him with any of those and at absolute best we win 1/10, realistically it’s probably closer to 1/30.

The only one of the four id have doubts on would be Kerr… the other three comfortably cover Shuey. Heck if we didn’t win he wouldn’t have even won the norm smith.

No they switched the tag from Yeo to Shuey at half time. But by that stage Shuey was on fire and it had little effect on him and Yeo and Darling came into the match. Pretty much every change Buckley made in the second half backfired and our bad kicking nearly cost us a grand final win.

I think I need to rewatch the game :cool:

west coast eagles GIF by AFL

Which of these could Shuey not do, I’ve seen him burst from a contest and hit a 40m stab pass on his opposite on the tit of a forward multiple times.
You speak absolute tripe. Every single one of your posts in here is tripe.

Shuey is a B+ mid. Don't compare him with Matera and Judd.

The only one of the four id have doubts on would be Kerr… the other three comfortably cover Shuey. Heck if we didn’t win he wouldn’t have even won the norm smith.
This is genuinely ******* ridiculous, you think that any of those 3 are more likely than not to pull out an equivalent game?

Judd played 140 games of that quality did he?

I didn't originally think that about that with Priddis as well.

I thought hard about the decision in putting him in the upper level but his numbers speak volumes;

Brownlow
r/u Brownlow
AA in the year he didn't win the BL (should've been 2 AA's)
B&F (not in the year he won the BL)
4 r\u B&F's (also tied in 1 but lost in a countback).

That's better than all bar a handful of our all time greats.

On another note, to those saying that Shuey was better than Kemp, you're just showing your age and the chance you never saw Tommy play live. The guy was a jet and in our top 10 players for sure.

Shuey top 10? Nope
Never able to change a game

Turtle tackles

Never tagged because he had no hurt factor

Opponents rant off him at will

1;000 handballs to team mates feet and flour bag helicopter kicks

But he was a top bloke

Having no doubts on Cousins or Judd producing a better GF performance than Shuey, considering they had two cracks at doing so and didn’t get close in either is *ed.

This is genuinely ******* ridiculous, you think that any of those 3 are more likely than not to pull out an equivalent game?

Judd played 140 games of that quality did he?

Your right. This is ridiculous..
who said Judd played 140 games better than Shueys one game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back