Luke Shuey - Where Does He Rank?

Remove this Banner Ad

In a weird way you could say Shuey is more rounded than the other star mids we've had.

Better off both feet, better tackler than any of the others, better user by foot (skills that is, not always decision making).

Loses points for consistency though, to me he has always been an AA level player but yet he's never made it, but he can compete with any other mid in the centre circle.

Not sure why he never developed into a goal kicking mid (looked for JK too much arguably) but that is one of the bigger let downs given his dual sided-ness and ability to break tackles, figured he'd be good for a goal a game.

Averages about the same GPG as Kerr though, should be closer to 1 per game with his skill set.

Club legend though, always gives it everything and puts in on defence, if there was a stat for smothers he'd have to be up there, used to get 1 a game when he was younger.

Top notch player without being a superstar due to both injuries (early and late career) and consistency.

Shuey is way ahead of Embley and Priddis. Inconsistency probably was his downfall. He probably has a handful of complete seasons but that's also due to injuries I guess.

Amazing player off both feet, could don a goal from either wing at the 50 no sweat. Not as good as Kerr or Kemp due to rarely playing a blinder of a game.
Turned upon GF day which counts for a lot.

This was my line of thought, but colleagues who are older than me (I’m 32) swore black and blue Shuey was better than Embley, Braun and Mainy which had me doubting my childhood recollection
I agree with this. Shuey is definitely better than them but below our other top flight (the 3 Brown low medallists, Kerr, Kemp and probably P Matera too).

It's his lack of consistency. At his best, he stands shoulder to shoulder with the Kerrs and Materas.

Its amazing how one game can stay in your memory.
It was actually 2, that's why it stays in the memory. Got done against Pies in QF and then again in one of the other ones. I'm pretty sure it was against the cats around the same spot at the MCG, that's why it is memorable.

Got run down once or twice in 2018 GF too, but the rest of his game made up for it.

In a weird way you could say Shuey is more rounded than the other star mids we've had.

Better off both feet, better tackler than any of the others, better user by foot (skills that is, not always decision making).

Loses points for consistency though, to me he has always been an AA level player but yet he's never made it, but he can compete with any other mid in the centre circle.

Not sure why he never developed into a goal kicking mid (looked for JK too much arguably) but that is one of the bigger let downs given his dual sided-ness and ability to break tackles, figured he'd be good for a goal a game.

Averages about the same GPG as Kerr though, should be closer to 1 per game with his skill set.

Club legend though, always gives it everything and puts in on defence, if there was a stat for smothers he'd have to be up there, used to get 1 a game when he was younger.

Top notch player without being a superstar due to both injuries (early and late career) and consistency.

This post is spot on... read my mind.

I'd have Shuey just scraping into the top 10 group of midfielders.

Judd, Cousins, Matera, Kemp, Kerr and Priddis would be classed as our top elite group of players.

Yeo, Mainy, Shuey and Turley would be the remaining players in my top 10.

You can make a case for each of Pyke (Club Champ), Banfield (Club Champ), Embley (Normy) and Fletcher (AA) who were unlucky to miss the T10.

Really struggle with Priddis being named in upper echelon.

Elite take and give skills at contests, but gee we took some hurt from his opponents going the other way and his kicking was sub par.

Shuey in the Priddis, Mainy (avge kick as well), Turley group of players.

Turley maybe moves up a bit due to his (alleged) rendezvous with the coaches daughter.

Turley =

1678600185411.png

Really struggle with Priddis being named in upper echelon.

Elite take and give skills at contests, but gee we took some hurt from his opponents going the other way and his kicking was sub par.

Shuey in the Priddis, Mainy (avge kick as well), Turley group of players.

Turley maybe moves up a bit due to his (alleged) rendezvous with the coaches daughter.

Turley =

View attachment 1627191
Mainers was a lot better and more consistent that Turkey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Takes in here are genuinely mind boggling.

Shuey is only behind Cousins, Judd and Matera. Similar level to Kerr.

Many in here forgetting he would cop a tag absolutely week in week out and was still one of the most damaging inside kids in the game.

How many of our other top mids through history had to do practically all of the heavy lifting while also expected to be offensively damaging?

Genuinely extremely disrespectful having him on a similar level to the types of Embley and the like.

Give me 20 shuey disposals over 40 of most of the stat padders these days. Was one of the best kicks in the team.

Unfortunately he didn’t get those easy possessions many others did so never got the personal accolades he deserved but in terms of influence on a game there’s not many better.

Grand Final was the prime example of what he is capable of if he doesn’t get the tag.

Statistically over his career he is very similar to Fyfe and I certainly know who I’d take delivering the ball.

One is revered as a great of the game and the other is being talked about by his own fans as on the same level as Kemp.

Also doubt we’ve ever had a more clutch big game player in our history.

Show some respect.

Many in here forgetting he would cop a tag absolutely week in week out and was still one of the most damaging inside kids in the game.

How many of our other top mids through history had to do practically all of the heavy lifting while also expected to be offensively damaging?

Genuinely extremely disrespectful having him on a similar level to the types of Embley and the like.

Give me 20 shuey disposals over 40 of most of the stat padders these days. Was one of the best kicks in the team.

Unfortunately he didn’t get those easy possessions many others did so never got the personal accolades he deserved but in terms of influence on a game there’s not many better.

Grand Final was the prime example of what he is capable of if he doesn’t get the tag.

Statistically over his career he is very similar to Fyfe and I certainly know who I’d take delivering the ball.

One is revered as a great of the game and the other is being talked about by his own fans as on the same level as Kemp.

Show some respect.
Practice what you preach, Kemp was an absolute legend.

Practice what you preach, Kemp was an absolute legend.
Agree he was a legend but an absolute step behind Shuey.

This thread is acting as if he should’ve been that explosive goal a game mid while also being our best defensive mid and clearance player, who else has done that in our history?

He came pretty close to this annyway and at his peak there was not many better two way mids in the league.

There’s not another mid in our history that could have won us that 2018 GF, even at all of their respective peaks.

Probably the best game of any eagle in our history.

Most disposals, contested possessions, most effective disposals, most clearances, most metres gained by 200, most tackles, most score involvements, most goal assists of any eagle on the field and he kicked a goal.

Was rated the clear best final of all time by champion data.

There’s not another mid in our history that could have won us that 2018 GF, even at all of their respective peaks.

Probably the best game of any eagle in our history.

Most disposals, contested possessions, most effective disposals, most clearances, most metres gained by 200, most tackles, most score involvements, most goal assists of any eagle on the field and he kicked a goal.

Was rated the clear best final of all time by champion data.
Peter Matera could have, but only him.

I think people forget just how good Peak Matera was. Before the slow down, the injuries and time at half back.

At their absolute peaks the only players on his mark are Cousins and Judd. Judd was spectacular but I regularly watched the games greatest superstar and thought Cousins played better games. What people forget is that Peak Cousins was 2001. By the time Judd was at his superstar best cousins was already starting to slide a touch but still won a brownlow. If you discount the rabbit hole we went down after he was irrevocably hooked to Meth he was on a Captaincy level i've only held Paul Kelly and Woosha at in similar times.

People also unfairly disparage Kemp, he was an absolute superstar, super clean and absolute silk and in an era where it was still common to be getting wiped out by thugs (he did plenty) he was the fairest player on the field.

I also think people really don't rate Don Pyke and just how good he was, no he's not in the upper tier but if I was picking a best 22 and the last bench spot was coming down to Pyke or Priddis then Pyke would be getting the slot every time.

I would have Shuey and Kerr on a similar level. Kerr was astounding and the best player in a horrendous side even after an injury that at the time wiped out 90% of professional sportspeoples careers. However Kerr was third banana and would regularly start on the bench such was our midfield setup all whilst Shuey has copped a tag for 150 odd games. Personally I'd take Kemp above both but by an absolute bees dick.

We really have had 3 top 5 in league superstar mids and they are Matera, Judd and Cousins. Then there is an ever so slight drop to where I have Kemp a tiny bit ahead of Shuey and then Kerr but all at a very similar level.

If Shuey was a stat padder and got an extra 3-4 touches a game he would have 4-5 All Australian blazers.

Show some respect.

Tony Evans laughs at this

Agree he was a legend but an absolute step behind Shuey.

This thread is acting as if he should’ve been that explosive goal a game mid while also being our best defensive mid and clearance player, who else has done that in our history?

He came pretty close to this annyway and at his peak there was not many better two way mids in the league.

Nah, Kemp was a legend who had to play to losing rucks 98% of the time and still was a dominant midfielder…

Shuey isn’t even in the same league

Nah, Kemp was a legend who had to play to losing rucks 98% of the time and still was a dominant midfielder…

Shuey isn’t even in the same league
Swap Shuey and Kemp and Shueys reputation goes significantly up and Kemps down.

Same could be said for nearly any of our mids.

His combination of elite foot skills, elite contested ball winning and ability to burst from a pack is very very rarely seen.

The guy has come top 10 in the AFLCA twice, both times getting all the oppositions attention.

We’ve recently seen Kelly go from looking like a top 5 mid in the AFL, to struggling, meanwhile Shuey at his peak was looking like a top 10 player with similar help.

The question will always remain what he could have produced genuine support around him but as it stands, on ability he sits firmly in our top 5 midfielders.

Show some respect.

Shuey = god

Remove this Banner Ad

Back