Toast Luke Shuey - Retiring End of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

absolute gun, winning the ball and powering out of the stoppage, great kick on either foot. Shame he has been crueled by recent hamstring injuries and couldnt go out on a better note.

Amazing the quality of players gone since 18' Lecras, Kennedy, Sheppard, Hurn and Shuey a real turnover of absolute stars, will be a hard few years.

Burrows… you forgot Burrows

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Talking on 6PR tonight he said he’d like to stay involved at the club in a development capacity working with the young blokes

We would have worse options to guide the likes of Hewett, Ginbey and Chesser etc
That's a no brainer from a club perspective. pay for his coaching courses and have him work in development is a perfect fit.

Surely Shuey would be a million times better development coach than that former WAFL player that is one of our development coaches

That's a no brainer from a club perspective. pay for his coaching courses and have him work in development is a perfect fit.
I suspect he has been doing it over the last few years. I did see on the freo board some suggest that he’s been doing work with the WA u/18’s

The post on the freo thread about the rumour of him joining freo as an assistant
B8D6717B-F893-4996-A7A3-B728B779FC68.jpeg

Was really hoping we could get one more year and am sure Shuey was hoping the same. Unfortunately this latest strain was the goodbye ticket and he knew it. As with most on here he is amongst my top few current players so gonna be sorely missed.

Please please please get through 3 more games, even if it means playing half games as sub.

Thanks for all you achieved for yourself and this club.

assuming both boots and bunga line up against the crows, I wonder when was the last time a team had their current and previous captain play their last game together.

Was really hoping we could get one more year and am sure Shuey was hoping the same. Unfortunately this latest strain was the goodbye ticket and he knew it. As with most on here he is amongst my top few current players so gonna be sorely missed.

Please please please get through 3 more games, even if it means playing half games as sub.

Thanks for all you achieved for yourself and this club.
Already confirmed that he isn't playing the Derby. Playing the final 2 rounds of the season to end on 249 which is heartbreaking but also sums him up as a player - team first.

I remember watching this video when he nearly won the rising star, the part around 3.20 when he talks about how much the club supported him when he tragically lost his sister and he’s say that when I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my career at this club, he stuck true to that promise. so glad he won a premiership so glad he won a norm smith and so glad he got to captain this club, your an absolute champion Luke one of the all time greats to ever pull on the jumper. He is the definition to bleeding blue and gold.

watching this, our injury problems this year are not really abnormal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you share? Assuming it's locked..

Forgot about the locked part. Here

Most people’s favourite memories of Luke Shuey revolve around performances in big games, kicking goals after the siren and captaining the West Coast Eagles. He was all of that and more. A fierce competitor, ice cold under pressure and a terrific leader and developer of people.
But my favourite memory of ‘Boots’ wasn’t one fans cheered for.

We were playing Hawthorn on a Saturday night in 2012. I remember it like it was yesterday. There was an emotion in the race that night that I’d never felt before. As I looked around at my mates, I knew they had my back.

Some players put a hand on my shoulder. Some ruffled my hair.

One was crying.

That player was Luke Shuey.

Earlier that week, I had lost my old man to a heart attack. I was 23 at the time and it was a big shock to the system and to our family and friends. Dad was pretty well known by the boys, he lived for his footy and followed my career closely, making regular trips across to Perth in my early years at the club.

It was a Tuesday night when Dad died. I was at the club the next day. It just felt right to be around my mates. The first person I walked into at the club was Luke Shuey, then just 21. I don’t think we said much – we probably cried a bit – but there was an immediate understanding.

He knew how I felt and what I needed in that moment.

Luke tragically lost his sister, Mel, after being hit by a motorbike in his first year at the club. I can’t imagine how he felt in the days that followed because loss and grief are different for everyone. But, despite his young age, he was able to show the empathy and care that I’d come to the football club for that day.

It was an emotional week for me, one that I don’t have clear memories of. Football clubs are pretty remarkable places when dealing with personal hardship and adversity. As brutal as it sounds, they move on very quickly and wait for nobody, because there‘s always a game to play next week.

That game arrived but standing with Luke in the race was anything but brutal. We hugged, we gritted our teeth and we went to battle. Luke and my teammates made it their mission to win that night against the Hawks and that was clear to me standing in the race at Subiaco Oval, waiting for the all-clear to run out through the banner.

And we did. By five points. In a truly unique game of footy.

We kicked three goals in the last quarter in a come-from-behind win having only kicked five goals for the match. But our five goals, 21 behinds were enough to beat Hawthorn’s five goals, 16 behinds. The wind was blowing sideways. Someone was definitely looking down on us that day.

The following week we held Dad’s funeral.

It was held at Geelong Grammar chapel followed by a wake at Jan Juc surf club. The travel and logistics were significant, especially from Perth. The plan for me was to train in Geelong, at the Mick Turner footy factory the Geelong Falcons, and play the following game against Richmond at Docklands stadium.

Preparation is so important to players, and this was far from ideal. But given the circumstances, and I was the only one impacted, the club was happy with the plan.

It was quite a big gathering. Dad played a lot of sport and was involved in a lot of community programs. There were people there that I never got to see or speak to. But I do remember two people who had flown across the country in the middle of their week to support a mate.

Both were at the funeral, then drove down to the surf club and were the last to leave the wake with me before taking the plane back to Perth. They then trained in Perth, got back on another plane to Melbourne and played the following day against Richmond alongside me.

They were Luke Shuey and Scott Selwood.

I’ll never forget that support from those two young men. I didn’t have to ask. We didn’t have to speak. They were just there because they had my back.

We won that game against Richmond, too.

Luke Shuey is a Norm Smith medallist, two time best and fairest winner, premiership player and captain of our club. He kicked the goal after the siren against Port Adelaide in overtime at Adelaide Oval in a final. He kicked the goal from the stoppage in the 2018 grand final that turned the game in our favour. He kicked his first ever goal in the AFL with his first kick.

He had explosiveness from stoppage unmatched in his prime, connection with teammates in the forward line like no one else, knew where they’d be, and when, and would deliver it on a platter with ease. He had a step and a shrug. He could run and carry and kick goals.

He was determined, a winner, hard, tough, reliable.

All of those things.

But above all, he is a mate who is there when his mates need him.

And that is what I would like you to know about Luke Shuey.

Nah, Jarrad Brennan is fine.
This Is Fine GIF

One of the best Eagles ever!
As has been said, the Nic Nat tap to Shuey bursting through who deftly delivers a sublimely measured kick to JK was sexy AF!

A committed leader, consummate clubman and genuine all-round great bloke - huge boots to fill!
Well said👍

Talking on 6PR tonight he said he’d like to stay involved at the club in a development capacity working with the young blokes

We would have worse options to guide the likes of Hewett, Ginbey and Chesser etc
Absolute perfect role for Shuey.

Nah, Jarrad Brennan is fine.
This Is Fine GIF

Is the assumption that he's no good because he wasn't much chop at AFL?

I'm not sure whether he's the best we can get, but it would be difficult developing much top line talent with the picks we've had, the state of our WAFL team, list injuries and coming off a sustained period of success where youth didn't get too much of a look in unless they were an early pick.

Not saying you are right or wrong, just asking how you would judge him and if it goes any further than looking at the list for who the successful kids are given the above.

Is the assumption that he's no good because he wasn't much chop at AFL?

I'm not sure whether he's the best we can get, but it would be difficult developing much top line talent with the picks we've had, the state of our WAFL team, list injuries and coming off a sustained period of success where youth didn't get too much of a look in unless they were an early pick.

Not saying you are right or wrong, just asking how you would judge him and if it goes any further than looking at the list for who the successful kids are given the above.
Just an inference from his playing days. No idea how he goes in the role

Absolute perfect role for Shuey.

Asked about Shuey having an off field role next year, Nisbett was more than open to the idea and said whilst there hasn’t been formal discussions yet he was hopeful there would be soon

Asked about Shuey having an off field role next year, Nisbett was more than open to the idea and said whilst there hasn’t been formal discussions yet he was hopeful there would be soon
People like Shuey, Hurn, NN and Gov are far too valuable to not be around in some sort of capacity. The young guys would learn so much from them. The love of the club that Shuey expresses is second to none. The perfect person for young interstate player's to learn from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back