Toast Shannon Hurn - Retiring End Of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m trying to find an article that I read ages ago which interviewed Hurn, and focused on his leadership philosophy. I remember thinking it was great, and a rather common sense perspective on leadership.

Found this instead. Thanks Glen, ya doofus.

View attachment 1762174

The article is from the year after a Grand Final appearance and at a time where West Coast were currently 9-5 and in the eight, for the record. Finished 6th and had a home final against a Bulldogs side that barely scraped in and I cannot remember what happened after.

The article is from the year after a Grand Final appearance and at a time where West Coast were currently 9-5 and in the eight, for the record. Finished 6th and had a home final against a Bulldogs side that barely scraped in and I cannot remember what happened after.

Relax bro. I know I’m playing hindsight heroes here, it’s ok. Reading through other platitudes such as Mark Duffield’s piece on code, the club knew Hurn was the right choice after shuffling through stand ins when Glass retired.

The laughable thing is McGovern being groomed as a captain though. Which again is a case of the hindsight heroes. But still

Are we to read anything into the subtle tap on Nic’s shoulder by Bunga as he walked past on his way into the presser? Could we see another high profile retirement soon?

Is it just me that was low key surprised that Hurn named Lecca as one of his best mates. I know they both like fishing but as personality types they seem total opposites

That said, it was great to see Lecca there for the announcement

Is it just me that was low key surprised that Hurn named Lecca as one of his best mates. I know they both like fishing but as personality types they seem total opposites

That said, it was great to see Lecca there for the announcement
Schoey mentioned that Bunga has a great sense of humour so likely just keeps it hidden well.

Good interview on 6PR with Bunga

Expresses an interest in coaching at some stage but sounds keen to take a break from football for a year

We should definitely be making him aware there’s a job for him whenever he wants it but the two SA clubs should be all over him given it sounds like he’s going back to the farm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deadset legend. Like most full backs, doesn't do much that is flashy, but was usually so solid and dependable. You knew the ball was in good hands. So resilient and durable too, though had injury woes late, no surprise he's our only 300+ gamer. Thanks for being such a loyal soldier Bunga and best of luck for the future (though I doubt he's reading this).

Had a reminder from Google photos from 9 years ago today and It’s me sitting at Ao watching us put away the crows. Reckon Bunga launches a goal from a good 80m out that day and we definitely need to see him try do it against Adelaide in rnd 24

Sitting there on that day I wouldn’t have imagined that Bunga would go on to play for 9 years. He was 27 at the time and same age as the likes of Duggo and Ryan. Heck in 9 years time I doubt we will see Oscar playing either.

Just watched AFL 360 about Hurn retirement. Ferk, how is slobbo even on tv, the bloke cant even talk. I doubt he even knows who Hurn is. Absolute Muppet. Who ever is the director of that show needs an uppercut.

Late to the party but just wanted to say thanks Bunga, was a pleasure watching you perform for the last 18 years. Will always be remembered as a club champion and premiership captain. As a fan it was always nice to have the heart rate drop a few bpm’s when things got tight and you had the ball in your hands. All the best!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back