Strategy 2023 Off Field Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Written 7 months ago. Deluded. When the cavalry comes back all will be sweet. Those delusions then flow through various hands all the way down to Simmo.

Thinking out loud, I wonder how much say or final say, Simmo has on match day selection.

Despite the miserable season just gone, new Eagles chairman Paul Fitzpatrick - who was appointed in September - is optimistic of a quick return to form for the West Australian powerhouse, pointing to the weight of players coming back.

“There is a lot to look forward to next season. Doing a quick calculation, I’m calculating there are five players who will push to play in our first 22 that we didn’t see at all last year,” he told SEN WA’s Mornings with Mark Duffield.

“There’s probably another six that we hardly saw last year that will also push to be in the first 22, and then there’s another six or seven developing players who are showing real promise.

Written 7 months ago. Deluded. When the cavalry comes back all will be sweet. Those delusions then flow through various hands all the way down to Simmo.

Thinking out loud, I wonder how much say or final say, Simmo has on match day selection.

Despite the miserable season just gone, new Eagles chairman Paul Fitzpatrick - who was appointed in September - is optimistic of a quick return to form for the West Australian powerhouse, pointing to the weight of players coming back.

“There is a lot to look forward to next season. Doing a quick calculation, I’m calculating there are five players who will push to play in our first 22 that we didn’t see at all last year,” he told SEN WA’s Mornings with Mark Duffield.

“There’s probably another six that we hardly saw last year that will also push to be in the first 22, and then there’s another six or seven developing players who are showing real promise.
To be fair, we were looking alright up until the derby, then it all went to s**t after the injuries copped in that game.

In all seriousness will Toddy stay on with the recruiting staff if Trev gets the chop?
Depends tbh. Has he done enough to show if he’s good enough where other clubs notice? If he hasn’t he might as well just stay around if he isn’t shown the door

Then why are Fremantle doing significantly better with injures than us over the past 3 years?

They travel just as much as we do.
Sorry, I should have expressed myself better. The word "also" was doing a lot of work in my statement.

We have an aging list. The game is deliberately being sped up over the years by the AFL with rule changes and the want for fewer stoppages. At the same time, the AFL is restricting interchange rotations. So, with an aging list, that flies the most every year, with extreme fatigue from the rule changes and constant travel, this is impacting our recovery. Put that on top of the fact OPTUS was meant to be rock hard and Mineral Resources Park may be rock hard (I have no idea), and we have a multitude of factors contributing to why we are in the mess we are in fitness wise.

I am not suggesting medical and strength and conditioning isn't also to blame, because if the issues above are real issues, they sure as s**t should have identified them by now and we probably should be being more public about them and being more conservative with contracting (or not contracting) older, injured players. We actually have seemed to be at a loss to explain it though.

My point is it may be too simplistic to put it down to one issue. Hence a full review would be useful and probably should have been done already.

For what it's worth? what we're hearing in Melbourne is Nisbett is just about done at the Eagles, will be fired by the Eagles board this week, possibly as soon as tomorrow.

His time is almost certainly up at the club, not sure if it means he will leave the club immediately or at the end of the season, he definitely won't be back next year, that's for sure.
* - I hope this is true! Can we poach Brian Cook from you guys?

I agreed with him at the time. The assumption was we were over our injury issues and we would have at least average player availability. Based on performances of the first 3 rounds, I'd be confident we'd be in that logjam in the middle of the ladder.

Unfortunately our injuries actually got worse! Which is why I am delighted that Kofeod has been sacked. If Nisbett goes too, then we've cleared out the clowns that allowed this to happen.

It's also why I don't think we should get a priority pick at this stage. If we can get a team on the park consistently next year, we can probably jump up to 5 or 6 wins and start building from there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6PR reported a press conference this morning from Simmo, can anyone please give me a time.

"Warren Koefoeds reign of terror is over. With that in mind. I am confident now all of our teams problems are solved, including issues with the club song. If anyone has any questions in regards to our struggles I now welcome you to ask Warren about them. This is his home address here"

Sorry, I should have expressed myself better. The word "also" was doing a lot of work in my statement.

We have an aging list. The game is deliberately being sped up over the years by the AFL with rule changes and the want for fewer stoppages. At the same time, the AFL is restricting interchange rotations. So, with an aging list, that flies the most every year, with extreme fatigue from the rule changes and constant travel, this is impacting our recovery. Put that on top of the fact OPTUS was meant to be rock hard and Mineral Resources Park may be rock hard (I have no idea), and we have a multitude of factors contributing to why we are in the mess we are in fitness wise.

I am not suggesting medical and strength and conditioning isn't also to blame, because if the issues above are real issues, they sure as s**t should have identified them by now and we probably should be being more public about them and being more conservative with contracting (or not contracting) older, injured players. We actually have seemed to be at a loss to explain it though.

My point is it may be too simplistic to put it down to one issue. Hence a full review would be useful and probably should have been done already.

Perfectly said mate and no need to be sorry. I think my original message may have come across as confrontational when i meant it more as continuation of your thoughts but yes, there is definitely more than one contributing factor to the health and management of our list.

and won't bother even asking the AFL for a priority pick. Good work Trev.
You know I kind of want another smashing because this club is so stupidly stubborn. Nisbett just needs to piss off and the only way we can do that is by what's happening now. Getting absolutely smashed week in and week out. Season dead for us anyhow so wins now are meaningless.

Also how the hell does Rohan O'Brien get no critism. His our list manager and should be sacked immediately. No way should he keep his job. This dumb ass has given out huge contract to Gaff Gov and Nic Nat. His poor decision making is a huge part of the reason we are completely stuffed right now. I won't be happy going into 2024 with this incompetent fool continuing to give out huge contracts.

FFS.

The board should just hold a press conference and tell us all that Nisbett will be CEO until the day he dies.

It's the living in hope that he'll go that is doing my head in.

You know I kind of want another smashing because this club is so stupidly stubborn. Nisbett just needs to piss off and the only way we can do that is by what's happening now. Getting absolutely smashed week in and week out. Season dead for us anyhow so wins now are meaningless.

Also how the hell does Rohan O'Brien get no critism. His our list manager and should be sacked immediately. No way should he keep his job. This dumb ass has given out huge contract to Gaff Gov and Nic Nat. His poor decision making is a huge part of the reason we are completely stuffed right now. I won't be happy going into 2024 with this incompetent fool continuing to give out huge contracts.
I think we and the media have been banging on about poor list management for ages.

And was recruiting manager over the period of time where we now lack AFL quality players. We didn’t have high end picks, fair enough, I’m not saying he should have nailed star mids with 2nd round picks. But we don’t have any AFL level players since the last time we won the spoon, 2017 maybe but I’m tempted to give that to Rawlings.

The fact this bloke was promoted to manage the entire list (of spuds that he picked) is astonishing. We need a clear out of the boys club, it’s far too stale at the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back