Prediction What do you want to see by the end of 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

joeyavalanche

Premiership Player
May 30, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
As we all know, finals is already out of the questions so we gotta start looking at the little green shoots.

Thought it would good to have a thread to time capsule some positives we’d like to see before the end of the season.m and re-visit.

• Some continuity and confidence into Culley and Hewett

• Barnett and Burgiel to progress in the WAFL and exposed for 2-3 games later in the season.

• Yeo to get his body right. He’s not going to be the saviour, but unlike some of the others he’s not that old. Doesn’t seem to be the sort of guy who doesn’t love playing and think he’s got at least another solid 3-4 years left. Still big part of our rebuild plans.

• have some clarity and make a call on Nic Nat’s future. It’s the elephant in the room and if he’s going to be injured for half a season for any injury that starts as a niggle, we have to move on from a salary cap and a dark lurking shadow POV.

• Hough to solidify a position on the ground and continue on from his 2022 form.

• SPS and Witherden play enough good footy in 2023 that they join the ‘credits crew’

• Stop reverting back to the old game style for patches of games. Needs to be out of the system by the end of the year.

• Fix the medical and S&D staff. This can’t be a coincidence that it keeps happening.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Honestly, I just want to see:

1. Kids develop. We know they're probably not all going to turn into 200 game players, but I want some to develop into players we think will be a good chance to be premium players, particularly in the midfield.

2. Spoon. I don't want to tank but I do want to finish last and get Reid. He looks a very good chance of being the real deal at AFL level. A guy like him has potential to be a rebuild game changer.

I don't care about the game plan. We're playing okay footy but the game plan will evolve with wider AFL trends over the next few seasons. So where the game plan is now is probably not where it ends up. I have seen enough to know we have moved away from "corale and intercept".

Nor do I care about our old warhorses. They will be phased out in time. Same with any peripheral players - when better players show themselves the peripheral players fall by the wayside.

The only thing that matters is how good the talent is coming in. They are the ones who relieve the weaker players of their contracts.

Would to see Nisbett & Simpson leave but I highly doubt that will happen.

More games into kids, no contracts offered to McGovern, Cripps & for Shuey & Nic Nat to retire.

Bring in as many early picks as we can by making other sacrifices.

A significantly reduced injury list.

Jamieson getting tried as a KPD, Clark getting tried as an inside mid (outrageous that this is still untried), Gaff being banished to the WAFL.

The retirements of Shuey, Hurn, Naitanui. Gaff to fall on his sword and retire or move as a free agent (if possible).

Delist/trade three or four of XON, Foley, Trew, West, Winder, JWilliams.

Assuming we take someone with pick 1 in the MSD that leaves us with picks 1, 20, 26, 39, 45, 57, 75 and about six or seven spots on the list.

Traded pick 1 and/or others to have five or six picks in the first two rounds, and maybe traded in an established player who's best 22 like a Jayden Hunt that can push guys like Petruccelle, SPS, Witho, Rotham, Cole out of the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A fit squad all the talk at the start of the season of how fit the squad is, was rubbish. Still not up to AFL standard.
All players above 30 delisted or traded if that's possible don't care who they are.
At least 10 new players at the club all under 21 years of age.

As many games as possible into yung guys, Ginbey, Long, Chesser, Hewett ect.

Pick up yung guys in Mid season draft.

Obtain Reid.

Farewell older players

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Shuey steps down. No captaincy awarded.

Wait it out and be captainless until new draftee comes through or Dev Robertson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back