Luke Shuey - Where Does He Rank?

Remove this Banner Ad

As a mid (including wing) he's comfortably top 10 but not top 5. Judd, Cousins, Matera, Mainwaring, Kerr are 5 options for top 5 I'd have above him.

As an overall player it's a tough one. We've had a few good ones.
A couple of the best full backs ever, Jako as CHB, JK up front etc.
Then there's Cox who could be considered a mid. Always that ruck argument, are they a separate ruck category, or are they mids?

I'd have Shuey just scraping into the top 10 group of midfielders.

Judd, Cousins, Matera, Kemp, Kerr and Priddis would be classed as our top elite group of players.

Yeo, Mainy, Shuey and Turley would be the remaining players in my top 10.

You can make a case for each of Pyke (Club Champ), Banfield (Club Champ), Embley (Normy) and Fletcher (AA) who were unlucky to miss the T10.
When Shuey came into the team he had the best disposal and was marked in preference to others like Priddis. I think hes was fantastic.

On SM-T875 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree he was a legend but an absolute step behind Shuey.

This thread is acting as if he should’ve been that explosive goal a game mid while also being our best defensive mid and clearance player, who else has done that in our history?

He came pretty close to this annyway and at his peak there was not many better two way mids in the league.
Both in my top 5

Priddis is a Brownlow Medalist and All Australian. Embley agree.
Pridda will always be a great of our club but IMO was well below Shuey.
I remember Luke Shuey bursting out of centre bounces bouncing the ball and either hitting JK or JD lace out or going the extra bounce and kicking the goal.

He was our best player for a decade and was at his best when it really counted.
Even through the last 2 years when we have been really struggling he would come back into the side underdone and be one of if not our best Player.

He gave the club everything he had for 15 years and I put him up with the greats of our club.

IMO our perception of Shuey is distorted a little by the fact he offered so much of what we were lacking throughout most of his career. Brilliant footskills, acceleration and goal kicking nous. Our midfield was decidedly vanilla/workmanlike from 2008, and then Shuey burst onto the scene and was a massive POD.

I think that made him stand out a bit more - but attacking mids will always stand out in that regard. I think his ‘big game’ reputation is a bit inflated as well - he as much as anyone is responsible for our flattrackingness during the 2010s (premiership year excluded obviously).

Saying all that, he made watching us infinitely more enjoyable than it was when he wasn’t playing. Especially in combination with NN and JK.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO our perception of Shuey is distorted a little by the fact he offered so much of what we were lacking throughout most of his career. Brilliant footskills, acceleration and goal kicking nous. Our midfield was decidedly vanilla/workmanlike from 2008, and then Shuey burst onto the scene and was a massive POD.

I think that made him stand out a bit more - but attacking mids will always stand out in that regard. I think his ‘big game’ reputation is a bit inflated as well - he as much as anyone is responsible for our flattrackingness during the 2010s (premiership year excluded obviously).

Saying all that, he made watching us infinitely more enjoyable than it was when he wasn’t playing. Especially in combination with NN and JK.
Yes he offered all that but was also a clearance and tackling machine. He’s genuinely one of the best two way mids of the last decade.
Gaff was tagged before Shuey for a lot of the time.
absolutely not, Shuey was always first tagged.

I'd have him top 5 level with Kerr. He was always first marked.

LOL, IF Priddis was first marked, it was when we had a very ordinary / young midfield.

This is from the 2015 grand final:

Centre - Masten, Priddis (30), Yeo (21)
Followers - Hutchings, Shuey (25), Sheed (20) and Gaff (23)

Priddis could tackle (stationary objects) and he could extract well by hand, and dispose by foot average (at best) using his preferred left foot.

Hardly troubled the goal scorers, and did not lace out inside 50 kicks to leading forward.

People need a strong reality pill (or uppercut yourself) suggesting Priddis is ahead of Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Matera, Kemp, Pyke, Mainwairing, Embley, Shuey, Yeo... to name 10.

I’d have him 5th in my list of best ever midfielders
1. Judd
2.Matera
3. Cousins
4. Kerr
5. Shuey
6.Kemp
7. Gaff
8. Mainwarring
9. Priddis
10. Embley

I don't bother trying to rate players comparatively across era's because you can't. I'd prefer to group players we've had who rate in the top five players in the league through their era's. Shuey hits that threshold.

I don't bother trying to rate players comparatively across era's because you can't. I'd prefer to group players we've had who rate in the top five players in the league through their era's. Shuey hits that threshold.

Was he, though?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back