Toast Andrew Gaff - Update: Re-signed for 2017 & 2018!

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaff might be a great linkup man and works hard but he gives us zero leg speed. Currently his ball use is so bad using him to link up and create play is pointless.

Would rather Parto, Karpany, Cole whomever get it 17 to 20 times a game and be damaging.

If we had multiple players we could use and who could be dangerous that could help greatly.

I'm not against trading Gaff at the right price.

Moving him on for an unproven player & a pick somewhere between 8 & 12 is another discussion.

You also have to consider who we play on the wing to replace him.
Acres has shown a bit but isn't getting a look in at a team that has a good on ball brigade.

Short term we won't have a Gaff replacement but probably have to address through drafting and player development. Parto could potentially be that as he does have a good tank by the sounds of it and can kick a goal. Tim kelly for south freo is someone i want and he could potentially play that role.

Gaff might be a great linkup man and works hard but he gives us zero leg speed. Currently his ball use is so bad using him to link up and create play is pointless.

Would rather Parto, Karpany, Cole whomever get it 17 to 20 times a game and be damaging.

If we had multiple players we could use and who could be dangerous that could help greatly.
This is true, we don't necessarily have to replace Gaff with a 30 plus possession player, just have to replace his 30 possessions across the team.

Acres being played out of position. I love Gaff but he holds some trade value we need to be a bit bold if we want to rebuild and have a quick turnaround.

Yup its time hard decisions are made on.players that have currency. We have to do something to push us towards the next flag whilst we still have guys like Nick Nat and JK

This is true, we don't necessarily have to replace Gaff with a 30 plus possession player, just have to replace his 30 possessions across the team.

I personaĺly think that the past has shown it is easier to pickup and replace a middle of the pack mudfielder. Which I think Gaff is

Some of the criticism of him is quite ridiculous on here. The only one that is 100% valid would be his ball use at times. Emphasis on "at times". A lot of stuff like "he doesn't go hard enough" is tripe.

Gaff's disposal is neat, but he has those kicks that stand out for all the wrong reasons, he'll miss a target by foot 3 or 4 times a game but he has a lot better kicks than poor ones.

I wouldn't say he's damaging though, his best kicks are little 30m stab passes, he can't hit forwards off a step or anything spectacular, but he creates movement through the middle and others have to go with him.

He had a s**t game but he has value in the team. There's far bigger issues.

His kicking has been going downhill since 2015.
It's a steady decline.
I remember him delivering good passes to team mates 9 times out of 10.

This and his work ethic is what compensated for his lack of leg speed and strength.

Not anymore sadly.

Gaff runs hard and work ethic is never an issue. He has been looking so ragged in games lately though so id love to know the reasons for this.

Is he running hard and not smart? Just running for the sake of it looking for cheap possessions?

Does he have a niggle? Cant train and has lost a bit of fitness?

Is he running himself into the ground because he is picking up tge slack for teammates that cant defend?

Nobody else looks more spent than this guy in games and i have no doubt that this is effecting his disposal.

If we could get a pick 7 to 9 id trade him, otherwise hes more valuable to us and we need to share the load and as someone else said stop making him so integral to our game plan. Ive heard simmo say previosuly we want to get the ball into his hands as much as pissible. When we have dumb players like ours we simply do that every time even when hes in horrible positions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back