News Another Possible American Rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

That is why I said we would have to put on CAT-B List before he can play VFL.

Who is Jordan Maetera?

But he plans to play VFL this season and he can't be drafted until the end of the year.

Jordan Matera's... Peter Matera's son apparently and one of the guys on the bike next to the yank according to the story.

He's not on anyone's list. This appears to be his DOB:- 11-Apr-97.
So eligible for this year's draft. If he's any good we'll no doubt hear plenty about him, and he would surely end up at West Coast.

Ah, must be 1 of the AIS kids training with clubs if he's that young. Interesting he's at the Tigers rather than the weagles.

Ah, must be 1 of the AIS kids training with clubs if he's that young. Interesting he's at the Tigers rather than the weagles.
He's with the Sandringham Dragons, though, so I guess that's why he would be training with a Melb. based club.

I've just looked at the article again. He's not actually training at Richmond Football Club is he?

He's not on anyone's list. This appears to be his DOB:- 11-Apr-97.
So eligible for this year's draft. If he's any good we'll no doubt hear plenty about him, and he would surely end up at West Coast.

I've just looked at the article again. He's not actually training at Richmond Football Club is he?

Sorry, read "pro sport altitude in Richmond" as "at" Richmond, my bad.

Again interesting the kids playing TAC in Melbourne. I guess there are a lot of reasons like choice of school so we shouldn't get too excited that he won't want to play at the weagles if he's good enough to be drafted.

Yeah, I wasn't aware until fairly recently that he was even living in Melbourne. I don't know if Peter is in Melb. too, or if some split happened.

Young Matera isn't in the Academy (which you seem to have worked out yourself). Here's an article that shows what clubs the young players were training with recently. Interesting to see Sam Weideman went to Hawthorn, I've no idea why he wouldn't have come to Collingwood, not that it really means a hell of a lot:-

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2015-01-05/academy-players-head-to-clubs

Yeah, I wasn't aware until fairly recently that he was even living in Melbourne. I don't know if Peter is in Melb. too, or if some split happened.

Young Matera isn't in the Academy (which you seem to have worked out yourself). Here's an article that shows what clubs the young players were training with recently. Interesting to see Sam Weideman went to Hawthorn, I've no idea why he wouldn't have come to Collingwood, not that it really means a hell of a lot:-

They might just get allocated. Dunkley's at Hawthorn as well and he's likely to go F/S to Sydney.

Well, Moore did not do that either but he did not go in the Academy thing.

They might just get allocated. Dunkley's at Hawthorn as well and he's likely to go F/S to Sydney.
That's probably the answer, I'd say.

Just saw this thread, now I really am :confused:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/darcy-parish-and-josh-schache-to-train-with-pies.1083089/

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-01/2015s-class-on-show-now-at-your-club

It has proved a valuable experience for clubs and players in the past, so much so that it will be the first of two separate club visits for each player at different clubs in the restructured academy program.

Seems the Academy kids have trained with more than one club over the last month or so.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't be considering any international rookie over 21/22

For the investment you're making and the years it'll take them to develop it's pretty pointless if they finally make it when they're 29 and have 2 years max left
mike pykes paid off big time

That's probably the answer, I'd say.

Just saw this thread, now I really am :confused:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/darcy-parish-and-josh-schache-to-train-with-pies.1083089/

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-01/2015s-class-on-show-now-at-your-club

It has proved a valuable experience for clubs and players in the past, so much so that it will be the first of two separate club visits for each player at different clubs in the restructured academy program.

Seems the Academy kids have trained with more than one club over the last month or so.

Yeah, happens every year. We had Boyd at the club the preseason before GWS drafted him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got very excited about Marty Clarke and excited about Kevin Dyas. I was wary by the time Caolan Mooney turned up, never liked Shae, and won't form an opinion on Mason Cox until he's played 20 games for us. Aussies seem to be the best at Aussie Rules - unaccountable!

I wonder if it has to do with Collingwoods development programs of Inter players? Other teams like Brisbane and Swans seem to have much greater success with it.

I got very excited about Marty Clarke and excited about Kevin Dyas. I was wary by the time Caolan Mooney turned up, never liked Shae, and won't form an opinion on Mason Cox until he's played 20 games for us. Aussies seem to be the best at Aussie Rules - unaccountable!

Well no wonder Aussies are Better at Footy then people outside of Australia.

Though we can get some Awesome Athletes from the US

I wonder if it has to do with Collingwoods development programs of Inter players? Other teams like Brisbane and Swans seem to have much greater success with it.
Could well be. Player development seems to be a major concern for some supporters. Certainly it's an area where you'd hope Collingwood could deploy some of its financial advantage.

Well no wonder Aussies are Better at Footy then people outside of Australia.

Though we can get some Awesome Athletes from the US
I can't remember how to quote more than one post at a time, sorry.

Yes, some fine specimens, no doubt. I just wonder if they only consider Aussie Rules when they've failed to get picked up in the US. I wouldn't blame then; obviously there's a lot more money to be made over there.

Could well be. Player development seems to be a major concern for some supporters. Certainly it's an area where you'd hope Collingwood could deploy some of its financial advantage.

But isn’t it Capped now?

I can't remember how to quote more than one post at a time, sorry.

Yes, some fine specimens, no doubt. I just wonder if they only consider Aussie Rules when they've failed to get picked up in the US. I wouldn't blame then; obviously there's a lot more money to be made over there.

All the Yanks that came over to try AFL where never a Chance to get Drafted in the NBA or NFL Draft

But isn’t it Capped now?
Eddie's capable of some lateral thinking.;)
All the Yanks that came over to try AFL where never a Chance to get Drafted in the NBA or NFL Draft
Maybe because they're great athletes, but critically flawed in some way?
You reply to the first one and then reply to the next one and then hit post reply.

By Jove, I think I've got it! But I have a feeling it used to be easier. :$

By Jove, I think I've got it! But I have a feeling it used to be easier. :$

Hit the plus sign (next to reply) on all the posts you want to reply to then hit the "Insert Quotes" button and then the "Quote These Messages" button and you can reply like that too.

Well that's even better/easier thanks:thumbsu:

Hit the plus sign (next to reply) on all the posts you want to reply to then hit the "Insert Quotes" button and then the "Quote These Messages" button and you can reply like that too.
I've wanted to know how to do this for ages but was too embarrassed to ask! Can't wait to try it!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back