Any father-son/father-daughter picks coming up in the near future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Any chance we use a rookie pick on Matera tomorrow, or are we guaranteed in taking Waterman and Colledge?. Also how many Rookie picks will we use
4 including Waterman and Colledge if nobody takes them before us. I reckon Matera is only a chance if there is nothing better available at our 1st 2 picks or if Essendon or someone else takes Colledge, I'm sure we won't mind if that happens.

Any chance we use a rookie pick on Matera tomorrow, or are we guaranteed in taking Waterman and Colledge?. Also how many Rookie picks will we use
I like both questions. Is young Matera a spud? Uncle Phil was drafted at an older age wasn't he?..I can't remember. Would like to hear from anyone that has seen Junior, or has good info on him. Obviously big pressure on the young fella playing footy in juniors having Peter as his Dad. Can see the point of poor disposal being a negative....Phil had 'poor disposal' , mainly because he didn't pass and would have a shot at goal, (quite successfully too). Is Jordan worth a gamble? I'm very happy with our list, but talented small forward is always handy. Any thoughts folks?

I like both questions. Is young Matera a spud? Uncle Phil was drafted at an older age wasn't he?..I can't remember. Would like to hear from anyone that has seen Junior, or has good info on him. Obviously big pressure on the young fella playing footy in juniors having Peter as his Dad. Can see the point of poor disposal being a negative....Phil had 'poor disposal' , mainly because he didn't pass and would have a shot at goal, (quite successfully too). Is Jordan worth a gamble? I'm very happy with our list, but talented small forward is always handy. Any thoughts folks?

Both Phil and Peter didn't make their Eagles debut until they were about 21, so the Materas do develop a bit later....

Both Phil and Peter didn't make their Eagles debut until they were about 21, so the Materas do develop a bit later....
Cheers Kane. Do you think he is worth a gamble? I am coming from a position of no knowledge about the lad. If he is a late developer, like Dad & uncle, would want a go at it.

Cheers Kane. Do you think he is worth a gamble? I am coming from a position of no knowledge about the lad. If he is a late developer, like Dad & uncle, would want a go at it.

I'm a footy romantic so would love to see the Matera name at the club purely for selfish reasons. As for how good he is? Well INSANE is the best person to ask on that as he got to see him first hand often. He did liken him to a Troy Menzel type.

The chances of scoring gold in the rookie draft is pretty slim, so i'd like to see us take a punt on Jordan tomorrow
Cheers Kane249 & happy-eag. I'm a footy romantic as well, & if the chances of gold in the rookie are slim, hey, Materas all round for me. Hope they do it, and maybe as a bonus he is a late bloomer like Dad and Uncle Phil, how good would that be!? :):thumbsu:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let him spend another year at Tac Cup/VFL and play for metro as an over ager. Some players arent ready at 18 and might take a year or two to be ready for AFL. Matera also had some injuries this year and next year he might have a better/more consistent year. Im not a fan on recruiting people due to their name. Must re-rookie waterman and then go after guys like Glass-Mccasker, snadden and tahana.

Let him spend another year at Tac Cup/VFL and play for metro as an over ager. Some players arent ready at 18 and might take a year or two to be ready for AFL. Matera also had some injuries this year and next year he might have a better/more consistent year. Im not a fan on recruiting people due to their name. Must re-rookie waterman and then go after guys like Glass-Mccasker, snadden and tahana.
Yep, agree avishka5. Recruit talent is sensible. Not by name. Then my brain goes into overdrive with Glass-Mccasker...know nothing about him, the name just sounds good. :) If the club feels they are running deep in talent in the small forward dept, (hence Newman leaving), perhaps a punt on Matera wouldn't be so bad. If he happens to be a late bloomer, as previously mentioned, fantastic. If he isn't, haven't lost much.

Yep, agree avishka5. Recruit talent is sensible. Not by name. Then my brain goes into overdrive with Glass-Mccasker...know nothing about him, the name just sounds good. :) If the club feels they are running deep in talent in the small forward dept, (hence Newman leaving), perhaps a punt on Matera wouldn't be so bad. If he happens to be a late bloomer, as previously mentioned, fantastic. If he isn't, haven't lost much.
If we do let him develop for another year or two, would hate for it to be another Lewis Jetta scenario where we could have taken him as a rookie in 2007 and 2008, then he's taken as pick 14 in the National Draft in 2009... If we feel he will be a late bloomer, would prefer he starts his AFL development earlier with us through the rookie program.

If we do let him develop for another year or two, would hate for it to be another Lewis Jetta scenario where we could have taken him as a rookie in 2007 and 2008, then he's taken as pick 14 in the National Draft in 2009... If we feel he will be a late bloomer, would prefer he starts his AFL development earlier with us through the rookie program.

I think he can still be taken under the F/S in this scenario... provided he wants to go west.
At least we wont be paying full price.

Gee we must not rate him at all to not even give a rookie spot

Wally's kids are not eligible
We dont want Peter's kid
If Phil has a kid will he choose us, If he is good enough ? I remember Phil and Peter being pissed we would not pick the injured phil for the 05 GF

Maybe no materas for us

Good thing we have the Waterman boys

Might have 3 father sons next year in a reportedly good draft, hopefully won't affect our ability to draft other players. Jake might be bid on has high as the 30's or 40's, but who knows about Zane since he didn't really play this year. Jordan could potentially improve enough to be bid in the 60's or later. Wonder if we'll try to stock up on lower draft picks if they do really well. Not the best year to have 3 prospective father sons.

Last edited:
I'm a footy romantic so would love to see the Matera name at the club purely for selfish reasons. As for how good he is? Well INSANE is the best person to ask on that as he got to see him first hand often. He did liken him to a Troy Menzel type.
He can play. Can do some uncanny things, pull a goal out of his arse, take a speccy etc. Saw someone mention they 'heard' he has super poor disposal, I disagree. He has solid enough everything, but his DE% would probably be low as he looks like he wants to do the most difficult thing every time he gets it. I get the feeling he's immature and was just playing for the fun of it, rather than doing all it takes to get drafted.

If he wants to get drafted he'd need to get fitter, push himself more during games, play other positions and have less flat spells during games.

He can play. Can do some uncanny things, pull a goal out of his arse, take a speccy etc. Saw someone mention they 'heard' he has super poor disposal, I disagree. He has solid enough everything, but his DE% would probably be low as he looks like he wants to do the most difficult thing every time he gets it. I get the feeling he's immature and was just playing for the fun of it, rather than doing all it takes to get drafted.

If he wants to get drafted he'd need to get fitter, push himself more during games, play other positions and have less flat spells during games.
You've just described Steve Johnson in that paragraph. Would like to see us take a punt on Matera next year provided he plays U18's again

pretty sure he took it serious. read an article this time last year of him doing an elite fitness program and it had a few hopefuls including some american ruckmen planning on getting drafted.

pretty sure he took it serious. read an article this time last year of him doing an elite fitness program and it had a few hopefuls including some american ruckmen planning on getting drafted.

Matera might respond next year if he really wants to play AFL being rejected and snubbed should be motivation enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back