Any father-son/father-daughter picks coming up in the near future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Except for "well below average speed". His testing time was 3.02 seconds for 20m. Far from below average, light years away from "well below". Hell guys like Lennon, Bontempelli, Cripps and Matt Crouch ran over 3.15 last year and went in the top 20. I think his endurance needs work and his extended speed but that can be taught over afew pre-seasons more easily than that initial burst. I'm glad people have this perception of him though, means it looks like we get a bargain.

Would a team like port Adelaide play Waterman ?

Port have played guys like Ben Newton this year so probably, what is your point?

Point is I don't think a team like port and others would even look at him, hence why not getting invited to the combine, there is alot of people on here saying he's a top 15 player etc and we will get him as a bargain 3rd rounder, Which I dont buy into yes we will get him cheaper been a father son product, but I wish people would realise he has limitations and that's why he's not a top 15 product,

Point is I don't think a team like port and others would even look at him, hence why not getting invited to the combine, there is alot of people on here saying he's a top 15 player etc and we will get him as a bargain 3rd rounder, Which I dont buy into yes we will get him cheaper been a father son product, but I wish people would realise he has limitations and that's why he's not a top 15 product,

What are his limitations?

He can get the ball, use it well, and is apparently not horrible over the first 20m. Other than walking on water, what more do you want?

What are his limitations?

He can get the ball, use it well, and is apparently not horrible over the first 20m. Other than walking on water, what more do you want?

Doesn't have tattoo's ? The problem with big inside player's in the u18 championships they are playing against alot of kids that are still skinny and undeveloped, and it makes them look alot better than they are, they can get away with shrugging tackles bursting out of stoppages holding onto the ball longer to hit a target and can rack up positions etc, No doubt his limitations is his speed and agility dont have to be Einstein to work that out, Yes he can be a good player the same as priddis but like priddis he will have limitations

Doesn't have tattoo's ? The problem with big inside player's in the u18 championships they are playing against alot of kids that are still skinny and undeveloped, and it makes them look alot better than they are, they can get away with shrugging tackles bursting out of stoppages holding onto the ball longer to hit a target and can rack up positions etc, No doubt his limitations is his speed and agility dont have to be Einstein to work that out, Yes he can be a good player the same as priddis but like priddis he will have limitations

Guys like Rich and Wines made the transition from 18s to AFL fine. I think you are worrying too much, especially when mentioning Priddis whose disposal isn't ideal.

Guys like Rich and Wines made the transition from 18s to AFL fine. I think you are worrying too much, especially when mentioning Priddis whose disposal isn't ideal.

Im not worrying too much , Im just sick of people saying he's a top 15 pick that we will get for a 3rd rounder, Let's see if Waterman can keep his disposal clean at AFL level when he wont have any time, Sheed was a good user of the Footy in the Championships too, but he's struggling a bit with the pace of AFL footy ! He's going to be a good pick but please people stop calling him a top 15 or 20 pick he didn't even make the draft combine and it doesn't matter if your father son product if your good ,teams want to see you screened just like Isaac heeney Sydney's fathers son product !

Im not worrying too much , Im just sick of people saying he's a top 15 pick that we will get for a 3rd rounder, Let's see if Waterman can keep his disposal clean at AFL level when he wont have any time, Sheed was a good user of the Footy in the Championships too, but he's struggling a bit with the pace of AFL footy ! He's going to be a good pick but please people stop calling him a top 15 or 20 pick he didn't even make the draft combine and it doesn't matter if your father son product if your good ,teams want to see you screened just like Isaac heeney Sydney's fathers son product !

Oh you're one of them guys? Carry on.

We are not going to pay a top 15 pick so it doesnt really matter if he is worth that or not? He might have limitations but we will be paying a third rounder or whatever and in that range all players have limitations.

We are not going to pay a top 15 pick so it doesnt really matter if he is worth that or not? He might have limitations but we will be paying a third rounder or whatever and in that range all players have limitations.

Couldn't agree more mate ? With the most part of what you said, It does matter if people think he is a top 15 pick because I think they will be dissapointed

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more mate ? With the most part of what you said, It does matter if people think he is a top 15 pick because I think they will be dissapointed

Agree with that although I think people's perceptions have changed since earlier in the year and if he ends up being taken in the third/fourth, expectations will be lowered again.

Agree with that although I think people's perceptions have changed since earlier in the year and if he ends up being taken in the third/fourth, expectations will be lowered again.

IMO that is a good thing.

Didn't help Swift at all that Voss rated him the best U16's player he has seen for instance. Other F/S players back in the day before the bid rule were always over rated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's nothing wrong with father son bidding. There's everything wrong with the academy system. It's blatantly obvious.
Yeah the academy system is just another example of the AFL's desire to strengthen their hold in QLD and NSW at the cost of the traditional Australian Rules heartlands. You'd be laughing right now if you were a Sydney supporter.

Yeah the academy system is just another example of the AFL's desire to strengthen their hold in QLD and NSW at the cost of the traditional Australian Rules heartlands. You'd be laughing right now if you were a Sydney supporter.

Sydney supporters use deflection and/or play the part of apologists for any unequal leg-up they get from the AFL. They do it with COLA, and they'll do it wrt their academy.

Good write up on Alec waterman. Pretty much sums up what everyone been saying

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-alec-waterman/

Did Eastern Rangers write this? It sounds very much like him describing Waterman.

Biggest highlight for me is... "Waterman plays the percentages and rarely blindly bombs the ball, always ensuring he hits targets, often with serious metres gained."

It's pretty damn in depth.

Anyone have any idea the lucrative amount he was supposedly asking for to play league? And what would someone generally receive as a normal amount?

Speaking of academy.

This statement, from this article, caught my attention, "Heeney joined the Swans academy when he was 12."

Wow, shows the Swans have got a good eye for talent.

Don't they have 50-odd players of every age group? It's not like there are thousands of underage players in each age group in Sydney, it's pretty easy to identify the best 50 and hope for the best.

Did Eastern Rangers write this? It sounds very much like him describing Waterman.

Biggest highlight for me is... "Waterman plays the percentages and rarely blindly bombs the ball, always ensuring he hits targets, often with serious metres gained."

It's pretty damn in depth.

Anyone have any idea the lucrative amount he was supposedly asking for to play league? And what would someone generally receive as a normal amount?
It's a really good write up and basically the level of complexity that we should expect when it comes to differentiating between players or prospects. Rather than just blindly relying on labels such as 'big-bodied midfielder' and referring to stats and combine results.

I am happy to have a player with average top speed if they make good decisions in traffic and are the type of player you want with the footy around 65m out. To me that sounds like a good 2nd or 3rd rounder.

It's a really good write up and basically the level of complexity that we should expect when it comes to differentiating between players or prospects. Rather than just blindly relying on labels such as 'big-bodied midfielder' and referring to stats and combine results.

It sounds biased though TBH. Like it was written by one of us 'trying' to be impartial.

This person has also done their homework and looks to be in the know when it comes to Alec.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back