Home & Garden Are you a DIY person?

Are you a handy person?

• Yes

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • No

Votes: 30 57.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most blokes are too scared of failure, once you have figured out a few basic tools your set. Buy a diy book, check out youtube, a basic tool box and a couple of power tools and start small, get your confidence up and your set. I'm useless at auto mechanics however I spent a day giving an old car a service which included changing brake pads, didn't matter if I stuffed up, turns out I didn't.
You should be able to do the basics, washers, fuses, bit of painting, basic gardening, the ability to put something up without it going all Frank Spencer on you. Anything more than that you leave to the pros.

I try to do everything myself. I've had to use some tradies in my renovations to do the licensed stuff, but even then I had to re-do the plumber's work for him.
It's not just stereotypically manly things though... I'd love to how exactly how my mum washes clothes, when I do it never feels as nice or clean, and every time I have to put a footy guernsey or something like that in to be washed, I stress that it doesn't come out faded or stretched/shrunk. This is the kinda s**t we should be taught in schools.
I learned from my mum. I can also iron and make the bed with hospital corners. She also taught me a bit about gardening, but mostly that came from my granddad.

I can fix a lot of things yet there's quite a bit I don't know

Something I know: I can screw in door handles, unscrew light switches and connect the wires etc
Something I don't know: Screwing in hand towel rails

I'm more domesticated indoors (I like to keep my house dust free, vacuum and clean it regularly). I clean the outside mowing the lawn, sweeping away leaves etc. One thing I don't do outside is any roof maintenance (cleaning the guttering) I'll leave that to someone that is fine with heights AND doesn't midn the risk of breaking bones if they fall off the roof.

I can do a lot of things with cars (change oil, batteries, smash out dents). But not interested in changing a tyre (yep I am warped).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope,does that rule me out of ever being on The Block or Reno Rescue [whatever this new show is] ?

If so then

Woohoo.gif

From what I can tell, the only qualification required is to be a complete and utter *head.

I'm more domesticated indoors (I like to keep my house dust free, vacuum and clean it regularly). I clean the outside mowing the lawn, sweeping away leaves etc. One thing I don't do outside is any roof maintenance (cleaning the guttering) I'll leave that to someone that is fine with heights AND doesn't midn the risk of breaking bones if they fall off the roof.
I would like to employ you for these services as I cbf doing them. You may watch the 2014 Grand Final while doing these chores :D

Well I'm shite at building things.

But i had a house in the country i fixed up striped back panited picture rails,door frames etc and stained that took a trucking long time.
Did a heap of other things inc painting inside and out,replaced 1/2 the weatherboards.
it was a while back cant remember everything i did.

I think DIY may re emerge as a life skill during and after the next Great Depression.

Arn't we in the great depression now as most people seem to be depressed with Tony Abbott being Prime Minister (I'm not one of them, I lov eth eway he goes about it Luke Darcy style).

I would like to employ you for these services as I cbf doing them. You may watch the 2014 Grand Final while doing these chores :D

I find some Michael Jackson music or something else ot bop along to while doing it (the inside stuff) helps pass the time and makes it less of a chore.

My wife is very handy and does lots of furniture restoration, painting and decorating, making chicken coops etc while I post on bigfooty.

But I know how to change plugs on electrical equipment and changed the wheel when our hire car clipped a kerb in Scotland last year.

Changing a wheel on a car is easier than changing a tyre on a pushbike, if you can't do it you should check your IQ and your balls.

Before I moved out of my house in Geelong, I had a cupboard in the shed full of cheap power tools. If I thought I could do it myself, I'd duck down to Bunnings and buy the tool to do the job. Most of them only got used for the one job, including an Ozito jack hammer, but it was much cheaper than getting someone in to do it. When I left I gave them all to my brother and funnily enough, the one that he's used is the $80 jack hammer.

The only expensive power tools that I had were a cordless drill, which I hung on to and an electric planer which I gave to my brother in law in exchange for helping me out on a job.

I spent 10 years in the Navy and the most practical skills I took from the time was ironing clothes and touch typing.

My old man used to grow the most magnificent vegies, I wish I'd taken the time to learn from him.

One job that I absolutely hate and do under sufferance is painting.

I really miss having my own home to potter around in.

Really? Not the Triple M commentary team?

If it was the commentary team of today hell no, I would listen to it if it were the early 2000's lineup. Brayshaw was less annoying in those days :D, let's be honest if I were to have the 2014 grand final on again nothing would get done I would be too busy paying attention to it and cheering the goals :D.

Back