Teams Arizona Cardinals - The Buzzsaw

Remove this Banner Ad

ESPN's Jon Gruden denounced Matt Leinart Wednesday for not taking advantage of his prime opportunities in the NFL.
"He's clearly been average," said Gruden. "He hasn't been a guy who's really taken control and choked the opportunity that's been given to him, and obviously there's something missing there." Jonny Sunshine criticizes players with extreme reluctance, so it's notable that he's willing to publicly knock Leinart.
Source: Los Angeles Times

I dont think theres much chance of him being at Arizona after this fiasco, even if he dominates the final preseason game (unlikely since he wont get much playing time) he will be either cut or traded.
Not sure why any team would trade for him thought since they'd be quite certain he will be getting cut and can then just claim him off waivers.

Did Warner give indication that he was wanting to retire prior to the end of this past season?

Watching the Birds in pre season has been painful. Their season may be long and ugly with the questionable quarterback situation.

Who knows, maybe Ben Graham can better his outstanding 2009 season. It looks like his leg will be well used this year.

There was constant heavy speculation, but nothing confirmed. I don't recall Warner saying anything but I'm sure the organisation knew there was a good chance he would go.

The Cards are playing well tonight.
Hall is doing well in the quarterback position and Graham kicking a 63 yard punt. :cool:

I wonder if any team may take Leinart since the Cards told him he could shop around.

The last preseason game is such a bore, its pretty much there to pick the last members of the 53 man rosters.

Max Hall is looking better and better every game though, Leinart should be gone and possibly pick up a veteran QB to play backup behind Anderson since im not sure Hall will be ready to play if DA goes down.

Daryl Washington was great this morning and it wouldnt surprise me if Whis put him in the starting spot. He has amazing speed for a LB and will help with sideline to sideline pursuit.
Most other starting spots are settled although im worried about Beanie, he hasnt had a good preseason and was icing his knee during the game.

Cards, Leinart continue their game of chicken
Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2010 7:30 PM ET
The Cardinals would like to get something, anything in return for 2006 first-round pick Matt Leinart. And by all appearances the Cardinals don’t want to cut him loose, since doing so would likely result in Leinart making a beeline for Pete Carroll and his Seahawks.

So with the Cardinals expressly giving Leinart permission to seek his own trade and Leinart opting not to do so because he thinks staying put is his best chance of starting in 2010, coach Ken Whisenhunt has taken things up a notch.

Per Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic, Whisenhunt summarized the key question on Friday: “[C]an he survive in the role as a No. 2 on this team? And that’s really what the decision is about.”

On the surface, it’s an unusual question, given that Leinart has survived in that role for the last two seasons behind Kurt Warner. But Derek Anderson is a far cry from Kurt Warner, and the fact that Leinart can’t beat out a guy who flamed out as the Browns’ starter surely makes it much harder for Leinart to accept his role.

The fact that he thinks staying in Arizona gives him the best chance to start proves it.

Either way, the only way the Cardinals will keep Leinart is if they decide to carry four quarterbacks. Rookies Max Hall and John Skelton have looked good so far, and the Cardinals likely wouldn’t be able to sneak one of them through to the practice squad. And given the franchise’s historical luck, the guy they’d cut would end up being the next Kurt Warner, and the guy they keep would end up being the next Matt Leinart.

For now, we’re sticking with our prediction that the Cardinals will cut Leinart and that he’ll sign with the Seahawks within hours thereafter

And the worst kept secret in sport has finally happened....farewell Matty
TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals have released quarterback Matt Leinart, ending a rocky stint with the team that began with fanfare as he was drafted 10th overall in 2006 and ended this preseason with the former USC star taking a backseat to Derek Anderson.
The team announced the decision to release the 2004 Heisman Trophy winner Saturday.

Leinart played in 29 games with 17 starts for Arizona, and threw for 3,893 yards with 14 touchdowns and 20 interceptions.

Leinart came into this season looking to finally prove himself and show his teammates he was ready to handle all the responsibilities of starting as quarterback.
Leinart started the first two preseason games but was mostly unimpressive.

The Cardinals started Anderson the next two games as rumors swirled about Leinart's future with the team and he complained to reporters about being left out of the loop.
Leinart's initial stint as Arizona's starter in 2007 didn't go so well, either.
Leinart was coming off a decent rookie season in which he threw for more than 2,500 yards and 11 touchdowns after replacing Kurt warner in Week 5.

That gave Leinart the edge over the veteran the next training camp and the left-hander opened as starter. He lasted five games, sharing time with Warner while throwing four interceptions and two touchdowns with a quarterback rating of 61.9 before a broken collarbone ended his season.

Leinart spent the past two seasons as an understudy to Warner, who led the Cardinals to the Super Bowl in 2008 and another division title last season before retiring.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5531595

Just surprised they took so damn long to cut Leinart, bringing in another QB now is too late - and who that would be is another issue. Cards still strong enough to win the division, and I have no doubt Wisenhunt & staff are good enough to make up for some of our weaknesses. Whoever's QB, just throw it up to Fitz'.

On another note I see Benny Graham has been made a Special Teams captain this season. Noice one mate!

Well that was a ****ing s**t win. At least Leinart would have been OUR hack, rather than drafting in another team's hack. Thank christ for Breaston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always good to start of with a road win against a division opponent :thumbsu:. It was really obvious Anderson just had no chemistry with Fitz today, im really hoping that improves in a few weeks.
MVP for week 1 has to be Steve Breaston, that touchdown saving forced fumble was an amazing hustle play and really saved our asses. However we seriously need to fix our fumbling, how many did we have to day 6 or 7? ridiculous :mad:

I thought the running game today was quite good - we just didn't go with it enough.
We are going to have a really good 1-2-3 punch there when Beanie is ready to go.

LSH is excellent when he gets beyond tackle - has a lot of MJD about him.

What are u guys predictions for this weekends game against Atlanta?

2 road games are tough to start a season with but if we can manage an upset against the falcons then 2-0 is a very welcome however unlikely start.

Doucet is out for 3-6 weeks after having an op on a sports hernia injury so we will be seeing more of Willams and Komar in the WR spot. Komar needs to sort out his fumbling problems, i know it was his first game and the jitters were probably flying around but 3 fumbles in 1 game(only 1 lost) is way too high.
Beanie might be back this week but its still 50-50 after his bruised knee, Hightower and LSH did a good job last week (apart from Timmy's 2 fumbles) and i wouldnt be too adverse to giving Beanie another week just to make sure hes 100%.
We'll see how DA adjusts to coming into a game where we are heavy underdogs instead of favourites and can connect on a few more passes. But if he can give us 290 odd yards 1TD and no turnovers every week we will take it. I dont think he and Fitz could connect any worse so we'll see how much they improve.

Atlanta have a good running game with Turner back this year plus i think Norwood and Turner. They had a poor game last week against the Steelers and would want to come out and rectify that at home this week. Im most worried about Tony Gonzalez since we in recent times have had trouble covering receiving Tight Ends i.e. last year Davis,Finley,Olsen.

All in all it will be a tough game, i just hope we can hang in there as long as possible and manage a few key turnovers when its needed. Atlanta should be too strong but u gotta have hope :thumbsu:

Head- Atl 17 - Ari 10
Heart- Atl 14 - Ari 17

Stevie B is out for a couple of weeks because of surgery on his meniscus, we are playing against San Diego away and New Orleans @ home next 2 games so i guess we wern't expecting a win with a full strength team anyway.

I dont really think we'll beat you, but the only problem with the Raiders is the passing offense. It's not even NFL standard. Our defense and rushing is decent if not great at times.
Turned out the problem was the kicker :O

And yes, I can't see the Cards winning either of these two games anyway. Though the 49ers almost beat the Saints so who knows?

Hags will win our division in a canter i reckon.
Their D and ST are head and shoulders above the rest of us.

Ill wait to judge Seattle after this weekend, if they cant beat St.Louis @ St.Louis then its fair to say probably they wont win an away game all year.

I dont think Washington is going to return 2 kickoffs every week as well, plus San Diego's ST is very suspect and was torched in Week 1 against the Chiefs. LSH has been brilliant on kickoffs so far this year just we are having a real tough time finding a competent punt returner for some reason.
However i agree with you that the Seahawks are in pole position to win the division since our offense is so damn aneamic and i dont see us winning more than 8 or 9 games.

Sole possession of the NFC West lead :thumbsu:. Defense showed huge improvement over last weeks pathetic effort at San Diego and they had to since Max Hall came in and made his NFL debut.

Scoring 30pts without a passing, rushing or special teams touchdowns is very unlikely to ever happen again but i liked a few of the things Max did so hopefully with more reps the offense will click a bit more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back