Teams Arizona Cardinals - The Buzzsaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Sole possession of the NFC West lead :thumbsu:. Defense showed huge improvement over last weeks pathetic effort at San Diego and they had to since Max Hall came in and made his NFL debut.

Scoring 30pts without a passing, rushing or special teams touchdowns is very unlikely to ever happen again but i liked a few of the things Max did so hopefully with more reps the offense will click a bit more.

Was a huge improvement mate - was pretty impressed by Halls performance. I think he could have a future.

All NFC West teams winning this week especially the Seahawks pulling of an improbable road victory have hurt us a little bit during our bye week.

Hopefully resting up this week we can get back Steve Breason, Early Doucet and Gerald Hayes for the game against Seattle next week.

Ugh we are terrible atm, Anderson is rubbish and we have no viable other option. Hilarious thing is even with our pathetic record we are still only 2 games behind the division leaders, gotta love the NFC West sometimes

I don't think we'll get high enough to get Luck, and nobody else is particularly appealing. Mallett? Meh.

Oh and Warner just got evicted from Dancing With The Stars. Get on the phone Whiz. :p

Happy with some of the moves we have been doing so far. Not like the Cardinals of old, we are actually getting involved in free agency and making big moves. Chatter atm that we might get Braylon Edwards as well, fingers crossed that it goes through.

Add to that Deuce Lutui failed a physical at the Bengals and has now re-signed for a year with us.

Stewart Bradley
Daryn Colledge
Nick Eason
Todd Heap
Jeff King
Richard Marshall
Kevin Kolb

With eyes at Braylon Edwards and potentially Leonard Davis - good week so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First pre-season game wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. Kolb looked ok, i like that he's not afraid to just chuck it up for Fitz when he's in a 1 on 1 situation.

Biggest concern looks to be our pass rush, even when we blitz we can barely get any pressure on the opposing QB :(. Oh well here's hoping for improvement in the next 3 games.

Sucks that Ryan Williams is done for the year :( he was looking so damn good as well and probably would've taken the starting spot from Beanie midway through the season. Might need to pick up a veteran RB after cuts are made from other teams.

And now Toler our starting CB is also done for the year with an ACL :( might end up being a long season. Picked up Bennett to replace him but he's no world beater, going to have to throw Peterson into the deep end in his rookie year.

Well, an ugly win to start with. I don't think the OOD games will be that important this year, division wins are critical.

Defense needs to pick up big time.
A win's a win :thumbsu:. Starting with 2 rookie CB's and a completely new defense there was always going to be some growing pains, but if we had lost to Carolina it would've shattered everyone's confidence.

Washington up next after their good win against the Giants, up against Hightower lets hope he has some of those fumbles that we traded him for.

So close. Stupid fumble.

Haven't watched the game, will do that tonight, but Hightower had a nice stat line.
Yeh i had a feeling Kolb wouldve led a game-winning drive if it wasn't for that fumble. Our defence was terrible again which was expected but we were in the game till the last minute and only gave up 2 touchdowns so that was an improvement from last week.

Kolb Regressing

The Cardinals scored only ten points in Seattle last week, which is the same total they put up in 2010 when Max Hall and Derek Anderson were roaming the NFC West.

The one touchdown came on a low-percentage throw that Larry Fitzgerald pulled off. The second half was a disaster. Kevin Kolb’s development in Arizona has become a topic of conversation.

“You don’t want to take a step back,” Kolb said via AZCardinals.com. “That game I probably took a step back.”

Ken Whisenhunt admitted the performance was uneven. Kolb said watching film on the game “was as bad as we thought it would be.”

Brock Huard of 710AM in Seattle broke down Kolb’s game-sealing interception this week in a fun video segment. In it, Huard said he was very surprised Kolb made such a basic mistake in not identifying the right matchup.

While Kolb is a fifth-year player, he hasn’t started that many games. There are bound to be bumps in the road this season.

For the money he’s getting, though, he needs to show an ability to move forward quickly after taking a step back.

Matter of time, Dagless. Matter of time ;)

Whisenhunt Keeping QB a Secret

The 2011 Arizona Cardinals are one of the great fourth quarter comeback teams of all time. Really.

They have six fourth quarter comebacks in seven wins this year. Only one team in NFL history has more late comebacks. After a 1-6 start, the Cardinals are still alive in the playoff race at 7-7.

Second-year quarterback John Skelton has been at the helm for five of those wins. That’s why there is a legitimate quarterback controversy in Arizona this week.

Do the Cardinals play big money franchise quarterback Kevin Kolb, who is now apparently recovered from his latest injury? Or do they roll with Skelton? Coach Ken Whisenhunt isn’t saying yet, but the fans want Skelton.

“Everybody is entitled to their opinion,” Kolb said. “All I can do is come to work every day, work, and do my best to prove I need to be out there.”

Larry Fitzgerald wonders why Skeltonmania hasn’t caught on nationwide.

“Tebow gets all the love. Skelton gets no [love],” Fitzgerald said with a smile, via the team’s website. “John has done a terrific job. He finds a way to get it done. In the huddle it’s like sitting in there like a two-time Super Bowl champion.”

Whisenhunt said Thursday was a key day to evaluate Kolb and decide who gets more snaps in practice. The two men split work on Wednesday. Both had press conferences.

It’s remarkable we’re even having this debate. It’s even more remarkable that Skelton seems like the better choice.

Lol, you biter. I totally know it's not 100% because of Skelton. The team, OL, D, has improved a lot, just like the Broncos, that ALLOWS a Skelton and even a Kolb to get wins during this period (as Kolb's only start recently also 1-0 for him).

Still, one thing to watch out for as i said ages ago, it's a matter of time before Skelton eventually usurps Kolb. He has by far more ceiling once/if he can get the intangibles improved upon.

And I like the whole angle of this in terms of Alpha too ;)

And there you have it Dagless!

Both healthy, both taking equal snaps, HC chooses Skelton, GG wins: Skelton beats out Kolb
happy0005.gif

Skelton To Start Over Kolb

Skeltonmania lives on.

Even Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt can no longer deny something strange is happening this season in Arizona, and it’s happening when John Skelton is at quarterback.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Skelton is expected to start over Kevin Kolb on Saturday in Cincinnati. Kolb was able to practice the last two days after suffering a concussion last week, and seemed ready to go. But Skelton has won five of six games in which he’s taken the majority of snaps.

It’s a quietly remarkable moment in a quietly remarkable Cardinals season. Arizona gave Kolb $21 million guaranteed in the offseason. Skelton was at Fordham this time two years ago. And now he’s getting the call over Kolb in a Week 16 game with playoff implications.

Six of Arizona’s seven wins have been fourth quarter comebacks. They need a ton of help to get to the playoffs, but we’re not ruling anything out after this wacky run.

It's called winning continuity. If they're winning, and Kolb has been injured, they'll just keep on going with Skelton, trade him to some schmuck team who thinks he's actually good after looking at the W/L column.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back