Astbury

Remove this Banner Ad

Best game I've seen Dave play by a long way .

Just mabe he will b of good value after all I thought he was moving very we'll and was quite competent looking .

Hope he backs it up for the rest of the season now.

Great to see Griff play his best game to date also. well done to both of em.

Dave did really well and played it smart. Bit slow in his decision making, but our midfield in the second half was poor. (until the last 5 minutes then they just took over and saved me from hari kari).

He matched his man physically and looked smarter. We've known he has footy smarts adn he showed them. Not fast, not slow. A really quick forward could exploit him, but generally he will be OK. If he can produce at that level regularly we have hit a the jackpot. Not beacuse he is a super star. Rance has more talent I think. But because he brings depth, physicality, and smarts to the backline. A strong tall defence causes most teams big problems. We're starting to get that depth of good talls. Astbury coming on just makes us so much stronger as a team.

tradeBait ........................ Send him to Carlton for Yarran MM will be ready to throw him out by then
Not sure if serious! Invest 5 years in a key back who is starting to live up to his promise. then chuck him for a flighty HFF/FP who you think is about to be turfed from his current club.:eek:

He will become our monster full back to match up on the opposition monster full forwards. He will only get stronger too.

I think people are correct regarding his closing speed but as long as he is not opposed to athletic leading forwards he'll be a great defender. Given the way the game is progressing with a resting ruckman and one or two stay at home forwards pushing up the ground, Astbury will be well suited to the bigger bodied types.

Astbury is a confidence player so after a few more solid games he will begin to trust his disposal and decision making skills more and look for the shorter option rather than the safer long kick. Who could blame him with the pressure that was being applied at the end of the Carlton game though.

I'm excited by the competition and depth this is creating with our tall defenders.

He will become our monster full back to match up on the opposition monster full forwards. He will only get stronger too.

I think people are correct regarding his closing speed but as long as he is not opposed to athletic leading forwards he'll be a great defender. Given the way the game is progressing with a resting ruckman and one or two stay at home forwards pushing up the ground, Astbury will be well suited to the bigger bodied types.

Astbury is a confidence player so after a few more solid games he will begin to trust his disposal and decision making skills more and look for the shorter option rather than the safer long kick. Who could blame him with the pressure that was being applied at the end of the Carlton game though.

I'm excited by the competition and depth this is creating with our tall defenders.
Waite is 1 of those athletic, leading fwds and he did alright on him.....

He was as bad as Chaplin. Difference is Chaplin had a poor day and has produced a lot better than that consistently. Astbury's flaws have been there the whole time, and his lack of pace and lack of composure will continue to haunt us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One good week, and then right back to the same old s**t.

I don't have the stats, but I'm guessing you'll find each players fortunes/performances will rise and fall with the rest of his team. I think Dave has played less than 20 AFL games (correct me if I'm wrong).Just too soon to call. I'd put Him with Griff & Grimes as works in progress....

Played ok round 1 and 2.... and today again. ....

He was poor early in round 1 but his second half was good, he was awful today, and last week he was good (though some of Waite's kicking helped him out).

I don't have the stats, but I'm guessing you'll find each players fortunes/performances will rise and fall with the rest of his team. I think Dave has played less than 20 AFL games (correct me if I'm wrong).Just too soon to call. I'd put Him with Griff & Grimes as works in progress....

Of course performances will look different when we win, but Astbury's flaws have generally been visible even then, just no one bothers to critique anyone when we win.

He doesn't have the speed to go with 90% of forwards, and his ball use under even average pressure is poor. One of those cannot be fixed, the other will take quite some doing.

Of course performances will look different when we win, but Astbury's flaws have generally been visible even then, just no one bothers to critique anyone when we win.

He doesn't have the speed to go with 90% of forwards, and his ball use under even average pressure is poor. One of those cannot be fixed, the other will take quite some doing.[/quote]

Both these areas can be improved (speed & ball use under pressure). The extent to which they can be is an unknown...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back