Aussie team of the century flaw

Remove this Banner Ad

ghost

Debutant
Oct 23, 2000
Syd Barnes should have been in the Australian team of the century.

In 1963, Wisden had him rated as one of the top 6 players for the past 100 years. Other Australian batsmen included Trumper and Bradman.

No Australian playing as many tests has a higher average than Barnes, excluding Bradman. Barnes averaged 63.06 from 13 tests. Would have played many more except for the war, then the Australian adminstrators.

Arthur Morris rates Barnes as the best player of the new ball he has ever seen.

After the Aussies were nearly beaten by Yorkshire during the 1948 tour (when both Barnes and Bradman did not play), Bradman decided that either himself or Barnes would play in every game. This is a compliment of the highest kind, given that Morris, Hassett, Miller, Brown and Harvey also toured that year.

Scrolling through some of the back pages on the Cricket forum out of curiosity and found this thread. The Syd Barnes referred to in Wisden 1964 was the English bowler Sydney Barnes who played before World War I. The Australian Barnes was Sidney Barnes with an I, not a Y.
By the looks of the details relating to the original poster, he hasn't logged into Big Footy for over a decade, but hopefully I've imparted some knowledge to somebody.

Bumping a 0-reply thread after 14 and a half years....

52a88b141605fb395d000115.jpg

The all time Australian team should be:

Victor Trumper
Arthur Morris
Don Bradman
Greg Chappell
Keith Miller
Neil Harvey
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn McGrath

And in the 16 man touring squad:

Ricky Ponting
Alan Davidson
Ray Lindwall
Ian Healy
Bill Ponsford

If Chuck approves then I'm happy to have done it.
Have I set a new bump record?
Pretty hard to top considering BF has been around since 99 IIRC.

The all time Australian team should be:

Victor Trumper
Arthur Morris
Don Bradman
Greg Chappell
Keith Miller
Neil Harvey
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn McGrath

And in the 16 man touring squad:

Ricky Ponting
Alan Davidson
Ray Lindwall
Ian Healy
Bill Ponsford
Matthew Hayden, Steve Waugh, Allan Border very stiff. Could argue that all three have a place in the starting XI, let alone the touring squad.

Matthew Hayden, Steve Waugh, Allan Border very stiff. Could argue that all three have a place in the starting XI, let alone the touring squad.
True. I'm no Hayden fan, but I love Border and I absolutely love Waugh. Ponting deserves a spot though, Ponsford was a great who could open or bat middle order. Def no arguments from me if someone includes those other guys tho.

True. I'm no Hayden fan, but I love Border and I absolutely love Waugh. Ponting deserves a spot though, Ponsford was a great who could open or bat middle order. Def no arguments from me if someone includes those other guys tho.
Hayden is my favourite player ever so I have a little bit of bias there haha. Would get Waugh and Border in the XI for O'Reilly and Harvey, Miller to go to 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hayden is my favourite player ever so I have a little bit of bias there haha. Would get Waugh and Border in the XI for O'Reilly and Harvey, Miller to go to 8.

Not for mine. Harvey was an unbelievably good batsman, brilliant against pace and spin, and exceptionally good on s**t wickets. Again though, I'd take no issue or have no argument with someone who saw Border or Waugh as more worthy, I see them all about on par really.

O'Reilly is a must for me, must be in the best 4 bowlers in Aus history, plus having Miller top 6 gives you three proper quicks and two spinners. This is contentious, but I see O'Reilly as the best spinner in cricket history.

Hayden was good, but often went missing when opposition attacks had a couple of top tier quicks. Not the opener I want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back