Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure is exciting to have such highly rated Aussie players. We seem to always have euro/sometimes nba quality bigs, but Exum and Simmons just add a whole new dimension going forward. Both seem like the types that will support the national teams big tournaments with passion. :thumbsu:

I watched all of Exum's match yday and he was really promising. He was basically looking for the pass everytime, and should have finished with 7 or 8 assists if his teammates and had shot half decently.

And an interesting thing was the commentators suggesting that Orlando, already, and made a mistake by passing on him with pick 4.

I'm sure orlando won't regret picking a player who can't shoot at all....

Anyone know why Thon Maker isn't playing for us in the u17 World Champs? I know he's signalled his intent to play for Australia.

Whether it is true or not is questionable - but the excuse given was that it was going to conflict with some exam period and he didnt want to commit unless he could commit to the whole thing. Thon tweeted about it a couple of months ago.

Wasn't there some issues with timing/funding? Either way i'm not counting Thon as a Boomer until he pulls on the jersey. Way to much risk he bails on us.
I know someone who taught Thon when he was 12. The entire Maker family adores Australia and views the country as changing their pathway in life. I am super confident he will be a passionate Australian Boomer. I used to work at an English intensive school who's school population consisted of 50% refugees. The vast, vast majority of refugees fall in love with Australia very quickly, contrary to what is reported in the media I would be stunned if Thon didn't put playing for his country as a priority in any NBA contract he signs, similar to Exum.

I know someone who taught Thon when he was 12. The entire Maker family adores Australia and views the country as changing their pathway in life. I am super confident he will be a passionate Australian Boomer. I used to work at an English intensive school who's school population consisted of 50% refugees. The vast, vast majority of refugees fall in love with Australia very quickly, contrary to what is reported in the media I would be stunned if Thon didn't put playing for his country as a priority in any NBA contract he signs, similar to Exum.
The threat is that if he keeps developing an Agent will get into his ear and convince him he'll make the USA teams and there'll be more money in it.

Good to hear that insight though and fingers crossed.

I thought the family had gone back to Sudan ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the family had gone back to Sudan ...

No, I'm pretty sure he was here without his parents, but with alot of his brothers and sisters, I'm pretty sure some of them are still in Aus.

The threat is that if he keeps developing an Agent will get into his ear and convince him he'll make the USA teams and there'll be more money in it.

Good to hear that insight though and fingers crossed.
his either Sudanese or his australian right??? u can't just play for USA because u won't to

his either Sudanese or his australian right??? u can't just play for USA because u won't to

He's been in the US at high school for the last 2 years, what he's saying is, by the time he's eligible to be drafted, and then possibly an established player, he may have been in the US for 10 years, longer than he lived in Australia.

I liked this post so much I liked it, unliked it and liked it again.

Exum, Simmons, Maker is the core a very exciting team.

On Thon Maker - no doubt the kid can play, but he has some major deficiences.

I don't want to seem negative towards the kid here and doubt his talent, if he realistically wants to play representative basketball at Olympics / World Championships etc he would be absolutely stupid to select the USA as his country of choice.
I will go on record as to say that he will never play for the USA if that is the choice he makes.

On Thon Maker - no doubt the kid can play, but he has some major deficiences.

I don't want to seem negative towards the kid here and doubt his talent, if he realistically wants to play representative basketball at Olympics / World Championships etc he would be absolutely stupid to select the USA as his country of choice.
I will go on record as to say that he will never play for the USA if that is the choice he makes.
That's a big call given that he's rated the no. 1 or no. 2 prospect for his age group. Yes he's got holes in his game and work to do, and it's very hard to make it into the USA team, but it's not inconceivable.

Anyway Thon will be a Boomer and along with Exum and Simmons lead us to gold at the Olympics!

That's a big call given that he's rated the no. 1 or no. 2 prospect for his age group. Yes he's got holes in his game and work to do, and it's very hard to make it into the USA team, but it's not inconceivable.

Anyway Thon will be a Boomer and along with Exum and Simmons lead us to gold at the Olympics!

Same question for Deng Adel i guess, does he consider himself an Aussie?

Same question for Deng Adel i guess, does he consider himself an Aussie?
I had a player named Deng, also Sudanese play for and then against the team I coached in the KBA... surely couldn't be the same Deng.. like he was tall.. but not that exceptional...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back