Workshop Australian Flag

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not a case of banging something together and hoping the colours look nice.
This represents Australia.
If you don't understand that, you should probably read more.

IMO it represented Australia. The Union Jack made us colonies. What made us a country was a constitution that said we were more than just colonies and which began the removal of power from 'the Union Jack' and into our own hands. It's historically justifiable but ultimately creates a present-day anachronism and is not sensible to have on one of the nation's primary symbols.

(And ever since the Commonwealth Star got its seventh point it has basically been redundant, given the four already used in the Southern Cross which could be said to represent the same concept. So not a good design there either.)

IMO it represented Australia. The Union Jack made us colonies. What made us a country was a constitution that said we were more than just colonies and which began the removal of power from 'the Union Jack' and into our own hands. It's historically justifiable but ultimately creates a present-day anachronism and is not sensible to have on one of the nation's primary symbols.

(And ever since the Commonwealth Star got its seventh point it has basically been redundant, given the four already used in the Southern Cross which could be said to represent the same concept. So not a good design there either.)
Let's just say we can agree to disagree on the subject of it being anachronistic.

As far as you being wrong about the stars, that's a different thing
The Southern Cross, in itself, is a representation of the nation of Australia.
Others have adopted it since, but it belongs to us.
The Commonwealth Star, being a separate design element has nothing to do with the Southern Cross.
They don't represent the same concept at all.
One represents the unity of the states and territories, the other represents our geographical place in the world.

278637-sporting-flag.jpg

I like this one to be honest. Keeps the southern cross and adds in our national colours. Also, looks like a national flag.

good thread. some good designs and discussions.
I've left the right side of the flag exactly the same.
The left side I've removed the jack and replaced the 7 pointed star with 7 stripes (represents the same thing).
The yellow is for sun, sand and beer - rivers of beer.

australiaflag1_zpsbc6fd71e.jpg

craegus is this more acceptable?
2evgow8.png

Nope, the two "metals" Gold and Silver (Yellow and White) cannot be used beside or on top of each other. The only way it would work was if the stars on the yellow were green and the white divider either had a second stripe in a colour on the yellow side or if it didn't exist at all.

Very similar to the one I posted

AusFlagConceptedit.png

I actually wouldn't mind seeing one of these as our flag
I'm not being mean, but it looks like something you'd see the liberal party advertise as or on a plane.

They look good though, IMO, a nice variation. :thumbsu:

I'm not being mean, but it looks like something you'd see the liberal party advertise as or on a plane.
The other day I had an attempt at a flag and then I realised that I'd almost made the Labor Party logo with red on both sides instead of just one so I decided to add some small white lines in to make it look a bit more different.

2l9gp60.png

I went with green and gold because I believe that if Australia gets a new flag, it should bear neither the colours of the Aboriginal, Torres Straight Islander, or current Australian flag. Instead, it should bear our national (not simply sporting) colours of green and gold (as seen on this website http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/symbols/colours.cfm.). By having the colour combinations of any of the Aboriginal, Torres Straight Islander, or current flag on a new Australian flag, as many others on here have said, places certain groups of Australians higher than others.

If we were to get a new flag with things that represent Aborigines and/or Torres Straight Islanders on it, it would send a message that white Australians feel the need to recognise Aborigines and Torres Straight Islanders. However a new Australian flag should send the message that all Australians, whether we are white, aboriginal, asian, etc. can be represented by one flag, one colour combination. So we shouldn't use red, white and blue, or black, yellow and red, we should embrace the two colours that are iconically Australian - green and gold.

Great thread, I'd like to hear more about people's opinion on what the colour scheme should be for a new Australian flag.

Yellow is part of the Aboriginal flag and green is on the Torres Straight one. Just saying... Otherwise, I like it

I'm sure some of you would of heard of GAZF, well a few years ago he did some standardised flags of Australia. I think the national flag he did needs to swap the gold and white around, but the other flags are brilliant! Anyway here's the link: http://gazf.info/?p=213

Edit: I also thought this would be great for New Zealand:
600px-Kyle_Lockwood%27s_New_Zealand_Flag.svg.png

I did an edit of this concept a while ago by changing the red to a dark grey and the blue to black which I would post but my laptop is screwing up on me.

Nope, the two "metals" Gold and Silver (Yellow and White) cannot be used beside or on top of each other. The only way it would work was if the stars on the yellow were green and the white divider either had a second stripe in a colour on the yellow side or if it didn't exist at all.
So something like this would be okay?
wiknrr.png

Yellow is part of the Aboriginal flag and green is on the Torres Straight one. Just saying... Otherwise, I like it
I thought someone might mention this. I should have said "if Australia gets a new flag, it should bear neither the colour combinations of the Aboriginal, Torres Straight Islander, or current Australian flag."
Therefore having green without blue and white and yellow without red and black is okay.

I did an edit of this concept a while ago by changing the red to a dark grey and the blue to black which I would post but my laptop is screwing up on me.
2gso2s5.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure some of you would of heard of GAZF, well a few years ago he did some standardised flags of Australia. I think the national flag he did needs to swap the gold and white around, but the other flags are brilliant! Anyway here's the link: http://gazf.info/?p=213

Edit: I also thought this would be great for New Zealand:
600px-Kyle_Lockwood%27s_New_Zealand_Flag.svg.png

GAZF's concepts are quite good, not my favourites, but still good.

That is one of my favourite NZ designs, works perfectly.

So something like this would be okay?
wiknrr.png

Yeah, design wise that works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back