The Law Australian Police brutality thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't have anywhere near the same level of threat of firearms that police need to delay with here, so of course it's rare and the culture is different. Having said that, police in the US rarely go overboard with shootings, despite what the narrative is. It's extremely rare for a shooting to not be justified over there.

Their problem IMO is not when and how they fire on suspects but the general attitudes and policing methods they employ in general. That's a huge, complex topic on its own.
look I agree but the bolded, we've all seen the videos, and that's the ones where someone filmed

If they're doing it right then why would they be afraid? If they're afraid, it's because they're likely doing something dodgy.
Very easy to say from an armchair, but extremely disconnected from reality. It's absolutely not an easy thing to take out a firearm, point it at another human and pull the trigger. And if you do, the absolute chaos involved combined with the bodily affect of a stressful situation like that simply can't be described with any justice. Cops know this. Having 100% confidence in using your weapon as a police officer is critical for everyone's safety.

Do you recall that incident a few years back when there was a guy with a knife who'd stabbed people and there were two cops on the street circling this guy with guns pointed and not firing? A bystander civilian was involved trying to hit the suspect with a shopping cart of all things and yelling at the cops to shoot. Their hesitation could easily have resulted in more severe injuries or death and it was pure luck that it didn't. That's what I'm talking about here.

look I agree but the bolded, we've all seen the videos, and that's the ones where someone filmed
It's has happened of course, and I'm sure it still will from time to time. But like I said, it's actually extremely rare, especially in the context of how many police interactions there are and officer involved shootings. Even the ones that go viral on social media with people losing their minds about it are usually completely justified.

When there is a threatening, aggressive person with knife in hand, then that should be a situation where police shouldn't be afraid of using a firearm.
Yet in the past we have seen police criticized for shooting in this situation.
Where? when they shot a kid in his backyard? yes, here? no chance

A bystander civilian was involved trying to hit the suspect with a shopping cart of all things and yelling at the cops to shoot. Their hesitation could easily have resulted in more severe injuries or death and it was pure luck that it didn't. That's what I'm talking about here.
So the fourth person - I honestly laugh at the term "civilian", like they're a separate class - was in the way?

Not enough to stop them firing. Many opportunities to do so and they didn't.

And of course you'd laugh at that... Ya civvi flog 😁
You're not one of us proles any more?

It's has happened of course, and I'm sure it still will from time to time. But like I said, it's actually extremely rare, especially in the context of how many police interactions there are and officer involved shootings. Even the ones that go viral on social media with people losing their minds about it are usually completely justified.
Yeh look we can argue about what's rare/cultural/justified til the cows come home, there's way too many that have made it to the internet for my liking. But sure, it's a messed up situation in the US, the people that would be willing to sign up to be a cop in those circumstance feeds into it too

Yeh look we can argue about what's rare/cultural/justified til the cows come home, there's way too many that have made it to the internet for my liking. But sure, it's a messed up situation in the US, the people that would be willing to sign up to be a cop in those circumstance feeds into it too
Yeah people will absolutely have different opinions about what constitutes a justified shooting. As you allude to there, the problems in the US regarding gun violence and policing runs very, very deep.

If they're doing it right then why would they be afraid? If they're afraid, it's because they're likely doing something dodgy.

Generally though, I agree that since the bad old days of VicPol shooting people for going mentally unwell in public they seem to have eased up.
Classic Monday morning QB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't play dumb, it's not cute

You've raised it now in two threads(in the crime board), literally no one has questioned the use of firearms in this situation yet you're trying to create a narrative of 'people are calling for justification for every shot'

I've raised it because it's a genuine question, it's nothing to do with disarming the police, that's a dumb idea. There's no narrative of 'people calling for justification for every shot', it's me musing on whether or not it will be asked. It is part of the requirement to be licensed to carry.

In any shooting by police there is an enquiry / investigation and the officer involved would have to justify their actions, including how many shots they fired. I'm asking if this shooting would be as thoroughly investigated as any other one or whether it will be rubber stamped because everyone is happy with the outcome. It's about consistency and integrity.

I used to be licenced to carry a handgun as a prison officer, each year when we had to requal. we had to know that relative section of the Crimes Act verbatim when it came to justification / proportionality and even more emphasis was placed on the section dealing with firing multiple shots.

I've raised it because it's a genuine question, it's nothing to do with disarming the police, that's a dumb idea. There's no narrative of 'people calling for justification for every shot', it's me musing on whether or not it will be asked. It is part of the requirement to be licensed to carry.
I think you're the only one doing it
In any shooting by police there is an enquiry / investigation and the officer involved would have to justify their actions, including how many shots they fired. I'm asking if this shooting would be as thoroughly investigated as any other one or whether it will be rubber stamped because everyone is happy with the outcome. It's about consistency and integrity.

I used to be licenced to carry a handgun as a prison officer, each year when we had to requal. we had to know that relative section of the Crimes Act verbatim when it came to justification / proportionality and even more emphasis was placed on the section dealing with firing multiple shots.
Seems like that was part of the job yeh, pretty reasonable

I think you're the only one doing it

Seems like that was part of the job yeh, pretty reasonable

Who cares if I'm the only one doing it, if the question makes you uncomfortable, keep scrolling.

Yes part of the job so very reasonable. If she fired more than one shot they need to determine if all were justified, pretty simple.This is something that should be done as a matter of course, there's nothing controversial about it.

Who cares if I'm the only one doing it, if the question makes you uncomfortable, keep scrolling.

Yes part of the job so very reasonable. If she fired more than one shot they need to determine if all were justified, pretty simple.This is something that should be done as a matter of course, there's nothing controversial about it.
Fair enough, maybe I was reading too far into it, carry on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back