Socceroos Australia's 2022 World Cup Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The squad sucks, I dont think we will score a goal, unless someone fouls us in the box and we get a pen.
Hrustic plus 25 plodders, basically.

I've never been less enthused about seeing the Socceroos play in over 40 years of watching.

Not many in there capable of taking their chances at the top level.

Boyle, Souttar and Kuol would be my top three for any chance to score. Behich and Leckie should be important too. The rest, you can pretty much raffle.

Last edited:
I will be impressed if we score ,or get a point . Fully expect Arnold to plonk the usual team out there . FFA don't care , the money from FIFA is all they worry about .
As for Volpato , he wants to play for Italy , so be it . i really only want players who want to play for AUS on the team , so he can just * off!!

I will be impressed if we score ,or get a point . Fully expect Arnold to plonk the usual team out there . FFA don't care , the money from FIFA is all they worry about .
As for Volpato , he wants to play for Italy , so be it . i really only want players who want to play for AUS on the team , so he can just * off!!
While that is true, part of that reason is probably due to him being dumped out of A league club academies, and embraced by the Italian clubs.

Seriously, what the hell does it say about our talent scouting when we deem a teenager not good enough in 2020 and he gets released from an Australian academy, and then a couple of years later he scores for Roma in the Serie A....

Meanwhile you then look at the level of talent in our squad and scratch your head.

While that is true, part of that reason is probably due to him being dumped out of A league club academies, and embraced by the Italian clubs.

Seriously, what the hell does it say about our talent scouting when we deem a teenager not good enough in 2020 and he gets released from an Australian academy, and then a couple of years later he scores for Roma in the Serie A....

Meanwhile you then look at the level of talent in our squad and scratch your head.
To be fair you can say that about any academy throughout the world. Some players will be missed or fall through the gaps for whatever reason.
The problem with Australian football is that it’s political and deeply entrenched. Players are going to get overlooked due to many reasons out of their control

To be fair you can say that about any academy throughout the world. Some players will be missed or fall through the gaps for whatever reason.
The problem with Australian football is that it’s political and deeply entrenched. Players are going to get overlooked due to many reasons out of their control
Including their own ethnic background. Racism in football is self inflicted and rife.

Arzani... I can't believe people wanting him in the squad. His done SFA in the pass 2-3 years, struggled big time in every club his try at since he did his knee at Celtic....

My question is ( yeah I know let's just worry about this years World Cup ) but who are our up coming Goal Keepers behind these 3?
Ryan is struggling game time, but the over 2 all mid 30s, there is no real young names jumping out, as our Goal Keepers for years has been our biggest strength
Gauci.

Valpato's statement for not accepting his call up is pretty week imo. either he want to play for Australia or he doesn't stop dancing around. Denying a chance to play in the World Cup to concentrate on playing for Roma? yeah right. Bet 100% he wouldn't have put up this statement if Italy come calling.

Newcastle rejected Alan Shearer when he was young cause they tried him out as a keeper.

Valpato's statement for not accepting his call up is pretty week imo. either he want to play for Australia or he doesn't stop dancing around. Denying a chance to play in the World Cup to concentrate on playing for Roma? yeah right. Bet 100% he wouldn't have put up this statement if Italy come calling.

Volpato came through the Australian system and was rejected by the powers that be. He's gone over to Italy, and they've nurtured his talent to the point he is now one of the very few Australians plying the trade at a major European club (i'm sorry but Celtic are only a major player in Scotland).

He believes he'll get more benefit remaining in the Italian development and international system. I don't blame him, considering he was cast aside by the FFA and they've only came back knocking after another nation has managed to extract his worth.

It says something about the poor technical and tactical direction here in Oz which has been apparent now for at least a decade, and we probably need to consider how much the development of others is being stuffed up too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our best keeper has been dropped to the bench in Denmark. Does that mean Redmayne might start. Arnold against France will park the cruise liner not a bus

No doubt, the objective will be draws at the very least against France & Denmark, and jag a win v Tunisa.

Unfortunately, the top coaches and players are too good these days to simply park the bus against them.

He could have put it much simpler. “If i don’t get picked for the Italian team I’ll be in touch.”

There was no official callup. Arnie rang him, said would you be prepared to play. Said ill have a think about it over Breakfast and then said not really.

An official call to represent was not sent to Volpato / AS Roma. That is what Arnie should have done. It gets difficult to refuse official FIFA endorsed call ups.

There was no official callup. Arnie rang him, said would you be prepared to play. Said ill have a think about it over Breakfast and then said not really.

An official call to represent was not sent to Volpato / AS Roma. That is what Arnie should have done. It gets difficult to refuse official FIFA endorsed call ups.

That would've burned the bridge forever. I think Arnold did all he could with this one.

Volpato's camp was just on SEN. Reinterated what Volpato released, "too young" blah blah. Then went on to say that if Italy calls him up he'll play. Totally contradicting the "too young" reasoning.

We're soggy seconds.

All the crap about Australia letting him down, geesus grow a spine. Our best kids SHOULD be heading to Europe ffs. If the Aus system is poor, not ideal, but why carry that as a chip on the shoulder? I'd be stoked to develop in Europe. Most of our best from the 90s and 00s grew up in Europe. Doesn't mean they choose play for another country.

Volpato can use all the excuses he wants, end of the day he's planning to play for Italy. We're the backup. Good luck to him, but he's not endearing himself one iota to the Australian supporters.

FWIW he would be locked into Australia if he played during the WC, but he can still play up to three other international matches for us yet still be eligible for Italy (if under 21 and excluding AFC Cup finals). Volpato's looking after himself. He could very well accept a Socceroos call up for the next friendlies or qualifiers.

That would've burned the bridge forever. I think Arnold did all he could with this one.

Volpato's camp was just on SEN. Reinterated what Volpato released, "too young" blah blah. Then went on to say that if Italy calls him up he'll play. Totally contradicting the "too young" reasoning.

We're soggy seconds.

All the crap about Australia letting him down, geesus grow a spine. Our best kids SHOULD be heading to Europe ffs. If the Aus system is poor, not ideal, but why carry that as a chip on the shoulder? I'd be stoked to develop in Europe. Most of our best from the 90s and 00s grew up in Europe. Doesn't mean they choose play for another country.

Volpato can use all the excuses he wants, end of the day he's planning to play for Italy. We're the backup. Good luck to him, but he's not endearing himself one iota to the Australian supporters.

FWIW he would be locked into Australia if he played during the WC, but he can still play up to three other international matches for us yet still be eligible for Italy (if under 21 and excluding AFC Cup finals). Volpato's looking after himself. He could very well accept a Socceroos call up for the next friendlies or qualifiers.

It wouldnt have burned the bridge. If it was the other way around it is exactly what Italy would do to secure his services. They would keep picking him until he plays and keep using FIFA to ban him for any refused call ups.

4 years in A League academies also did not let him down at all.

Thomas Deng.... yeah I can remember when played at the Olympics he did show a bit... but his been playing the J League 2nd division? The 2nd division in Asia quality doesn't excite me.....

Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back