Autopsy Autopsy. Just stop the game Gil. These fools are criminals.

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean, who am I to question Clarko. But f me, why did their key forward have 25m of space for four qtrs?
Obviously that isn’t part of the plan, someone clearly blew their assignment. I’d have to think if it wasn’t Clarko working on the plan they’d have been playing man on man very quickly after the first few times

He may be hamstrung in that he doesn't have the cattle to execute his plan. If this is the case we should see some real changes over the next few weeks.
I'm sure there will be plenty of changes over the next few years as Clarko builds.

He may be hamstrung in that he doesn't have the cattle to execute his plan. If this is the case we should see some real changes over the next few weeks.
Obviously that’s a possibility but (particularly with logue/McKay/Corr) I wouldn’t be trying it once and writing it off.

He could easily develop a plan to minimise damage but maybe he has an eye on the bigger picture he’s earned the benefit of the doubt.

We are clearly transitioning from being dependent on the older guard, we do need time to get Goater/Bergman/Wardlaw et al physically capable of running out full games . It will be a bit of yo yoing between afl and vfl until they are capable of running like howe can. I’d say by round twelve we will start to see those guys becoming regulars.

We still need to fill a few holes too.

There’s been a lot of overreaction to this result

Be disappointed in the result sure, but we are effectively crawling out of the primordial filth as a club and we are showing improvement .

Your backmen have to be able to win contests one on one.

For awhile last year Corr was ranked worst in the league in defensive contests and McKay was the fourth worst. McKay will make it with time (given he stays) but Corr gets games because he has a long contract. He has NEVER been a commanding defender and I regret we gave him a 5 year deal which I think ends this year.
This is Corr's third year in a five year contract. He's signed up until and including 2025.

Obviously that isn’t part of the plan, someone clearly blew their assignment. I’d have to think if it wasn’t Clarko working on the plan they’d have been playing man on man very quickly after the first few times
Biggest issue for me was it wasnt like cameron and hawkins killed the plan, it was daniher and hipwood ffs! 2 bigger spud tall forwards your unlikey to see on the pitch at the same time! And fwiw if either or worse both of them could kick it would have been well over 100 pts

Biggest issue for me was it wasnt like cameron and hawkins killed the plan, it was daniher and hipwood ffs! 2 bigger spud tall forwards your unlikey to see on the pitch at the same time! And fwiw if either or worse both of them could kick it would have been well over 100 pts
That probably says to me that someone stuffed their role

The whole team had a shocker. Until we have another pressure forward who can play four quarters then Turner will play. He’s had good games this year, go back three pages in his thread lol. Paul Curtis should be straight back in but he alone isn’t enough for pressure in our F50.

When we surpass Kayne I will be as happy as anyone else to see him go. Until then, I will defend him from over the top criticism. He wasn’t great, but hey we lost by 13 goals, not many players were.
I'd still like to see Archer tried in that pressure role. At least he can be relied on to provide pressure.

I don't understand how Archer hasn't gotten another look in, has he been injured? Sure he lacks a bit of polish but there are a lot in our starting 22 that lack exactly that.. Archer with his defensive pressure, repetitive efforts and hardness at the contest is more valuable than certain others that are getting games.

Jack has been mostly ok this season and Turner has made some isolated contributions. The rest have been ordinary at best.

Bergman and Goater looked far better in my opinion, and even though each might have had the odd clanger these guys are the future and ought to be playing for experience.
JZ has been great, true. But other than his 25 touches I dont think he's adding any long term benefit. If it's for leadership, then why can't JMAC and Logue provide that? Let's find another player who can get those 25 touches that won't retire in the next 12 months.

Turners had a couple standout games, but again, isn't the long term answer. Find a small forward/back (Archer, Drury) and make them play like Turner. Then, when they have 5-6 touches and a poor game, at least they're building experience.

I'd still like to see Archer tried in that pressure role. At least he can be relied on to provide pressure.
You know what, that's actually a pretty good idea. Flexible too.

I don't understand how Archer hasn't gotten another look in, has he been injured? Sure he lacks a bit of polish but there are a lot in our starting 22 that lack exactly that.. Archer with his defensive pressure, repetitive efforts and hardness at the contest is more valuable than certain others that are getting games.
Has been coming off an injury. Young and plays it pretty hard. Has time still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a feeling our back 6 is possibly going to look very different next season. A lot less experience, but the qualities of the players will be vastly improved. Clarko has pointed out it's still not anywhere good enough in terms of ball-use and he'll need to make that a priority. Sheezel is just not going to be enough in terms of impact. He can't do it all.

That sorta explains the issue for me. We're so bloody reliant on our high draft pick players that come through when our seniors should be leading the way. It's great that Cheez is killing it, but it shouldn't be just him. Good teams will nullify him and not care about the other blokes not having impact. It's a really poor situation we find ourselves in and a real eye-opener in terms of what on earth our previous regimes were doing.

There are still a few players with question marks on them and that's what will keep this side from getting anywhere. The young players will become stars but if our bottom end aren't contributing, we're destined for mid-table putting all that effort to rebuilding down the drain.

Has his limitations as a player, but has been good since returning from injury.

Jack is probably holding him back at this stage.

I mean, who am I to question Clarko. But f me, why did their key forward have 25m of space for four qtrs?
It's a bit of a cop out, that Clarko line. It's a very valid criticism of an extremely puzzling gameplan. Our defensive structure didn't look anything like that against Freo or West Coast

How's his agility? Cos I look at his name in the back pocket and think 'I don't mind the idea of him up against a dangerous small forward'

When you’re in rebuild, hundred point losses happen. This was really a 100 point loss in many ways, giving up 42 scoring shots FFS.

But there is a big BUT. We aren’t playing a young side. Something is wrong with our mental state and Clarko will need to find that cancer and cut it out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's a bit of a cop out, that Clarko line. It's a very valid criticism of an extremely puzzling gameplan. Our defensive structure didn't look anything like that against Freo or West Coast
Agree, which begs the question what was behind the strategic decision to persist with this. Clarko & crew are highly intelligent & experienced coaches so their choices are based on footy nous not wishful thinking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back