ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
With the tour of England coming to a close very shortly, we move on to a two test tour of Bangladesh (and one tour match).

Bangladesh have recently had very some good results at home, drawing a test series with South Africa (heavily rain affected) but more impressively, defeating them in an ODI series. They also defeated India and whitewashed Pakistan in respective ODI series, as well as drawing all but one test against said opponents.

Have Bangladesh finally turned that corner that they've been threatening to for 4/5 years? Their senior players in Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim and Tamim Iqbal are always a threat, and Mahmudullah has been in the best form of his career. But have they finally found a genuinely good fast bowler that isn't Mashrafe Mortaza?

Mustafizur Rahman, just turned 20 a week ago, averages 14 in tests and 12 in ODIs. Dismantled India and South Africa on the spin friendly wickets over there. Has taken two 6-fas in ODIs already. Keeps the RPO low as well. Will be playing a big part no doubt, and has another youngster in Mohammad Shahid as his new ball partner. These two have a huge chance to expose an inexperienced top order, with Warner ruled out and Rogers retiring. Unless injured, I doubt any other fast bowlers will play the two tests, with Rubel averaging close to 80 in tests, and Shahadat Hossian being suspended by the Cricket Board whilst under police investigation for allegedly assaulting his 11 year old house keeper (wtf is it legal to have child house keepers over there??)

Bangladesh also have a plethora of spinners at their disposal. Whether they're international standard is another thing. Jubair Hossain, Shuvagata Hom and Taijul Islam were the preferred trio during the recent home summer, however Taijul was the only threatening one (bar one good innings from Jubair).

On our end of it, between the 5th Ashes test and the 1st test here, Clarke, Rogers & Haddin have retired and Warner is injured. This means we'll have a completely new opening pair. Bancroft is favourite to be one of them, but who is the other? Joe Burns is a potential candidate, and even Usman Khawaja has been thrown up as one too.

Another question is, how does our batting lineup go? Who bats where? We have fair few holes to fill now. Does SMarsh get another crack at 4? Does Burns open or bat at 4/6? Where's Mitch Marsh bat (or does he even play?), do we bother with Khawaja? Does Voges go up the order? Are we gonna be beaten? Luckily our bowling is far better stocked, Starc was the pick of them in England, Hazlewood looks the goods, Cummins isn't getting injured, Pattoman is back (although bowling pies), Siddle returned to test cricket with a lazy 9 or 10 wicket match. Plus we've may have found a second spinner who isn't 35 and average, with Agar bowling well for Aus A and bowling well on his ODI debut in England.

3 day tour Match: Oct. 3-5
1st Test: Oct. 9-13
2nd Test: Oct. 17-21

How I'd line up first test:

Bancroft
Burns
Smith
Khawaja
Voges
MMarsh
Nevill
Agar
Starc/Siddle/Johnson
Hazlewood
Lyon

Bancroft
Burns
Smith
Khawaja
Voges
MMarsh
Nevill
O'Keefe
Starc
Siddle
Lyon

Cummins
Maxwell
Fekete
SMarsh

I think they should go in with
S.Marsh
Bancroft
Smith
Burns
Voges
MMarsh
Nevill
O'Keefe
Starc
Cummins
Lyon

I'm worried they are going to go with Khawaja on the back of limited cricket and no real form.
But you'd rather play Shaun Marsh?

But you'd rather play Shaun Marsh?
I understand the frustration with Marsh, but at the same time, he has always been the first scapegoat after a loss, shuffled around the order, never given the chance to establish himself. Take out one woeful Test match (in which everyone was woeful) and he has had a good record in Shield, Tests and Tour matches since last year. Averaged 50 against India, 60+ at Shield level, several hundreds in the Tour matches...far better form than Khawaja.

geez that's a terrible looking squad, could be a few lean years ahead if some of these untried younger players don't come on
To be fair, it's missing Warner, Johnson, Pattinson and Hazlewood. Automatically looks a lot better with those inclusions. But no doubt, the batting looks fragile; this is a series for identifying who might make it in future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voges VC is interesting, even if there was no other real option, I think Smarsh will open due to experience too

I'd have picked Fawad Ahmed. Sub-continent spinners often bowl really well on the sub-continent but no-where else. The rest our spinners are generally s**t there. Sandhu may have been handy too after his success with the A team bowling both spin and pace in India.

I have a feeling that they may experiment with the 3 bowler/2 allrounders like england did against us
Id go with
Bancroft
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
M.marsh
Maxwell
Nevill
Cummins/siddle
Starc
Lyon
Unsure if they will go with either siddle or cummins. Siddle will prob play the first but i know they will want cummins to play atleast one of the tests. Personally i would have picked agar as it would have been good to have a look but think they will really make him earn his selection

Bancroft
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
Maxwell
Marsh
Nevill (+)
Starc
Cummins
Siddle
Lyon

With the squad chosen I'd be more keep to bump Maxwell up the order a bit, touch more responsibility, and keep Smith at 3. I think it'll be reductive to have Marsh/Maxwell/Nevill at 8.

Agree on Agar; he seems to be coming good, time to bite the bullet and start picking him. Especially given it will be on pitches that suit him and will help his confidence.
Bancroft
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
Maxwell
Marsh
Nevill (+)
Starc
Cummins
Siddle
Lyon

With the squad chosen I'd be more keep to bump Maxwell up the order a bit, touch more responsibility, and keep Smith at 3. I think it'll be reductive to have Marsh/Maxwell/Nevill at 8.
Khawaja over Burns?

I have a feeling that they may experiment with the 3 bowler/2 allrounders like england did against us
Id go with
Bancroft
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
M.marsh
Maxwell
Nevill
Cummins/siddle
Starc
Lyon
Unsure if they will go with either siddle or cummins. Siddle will prob play the first but i know they will want cummins to play atleast one of the tests. Personally i would have picked agar as it would have been good to have a look but think they will really make him earn his selection

I like this - the top three did okay / well in India A. Should reward that and keep that confidence going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back