Be the Devil's Advocate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
On the eve of the season all the boards are loaded with prediction threads for the year ahead. On team board such as this they seem to mostly be positive and optimistic, but being the slightly pessimistic chap that I am, I figured I would skew the idea a bit. So, what's your call (or random prediction) on the following questions? -

1. Who's going to go down with a major injury this year?

2. In which round will Michael Gardiner re-injure himself?

3. How many senior games will Michael Gardiner play for the season?

4. When he has recovered from his current injury (3 or so weeks away), Will Travis Gaspar re-injure himself this season?

5. Of players that played over 15 games in '03, who is most likely to drop out the side and barely get a start? (Think Chambers and Collica in '03)

6. Who will do the opposite and claim a place in the team? (a positive one!)

7. Which youngster will not quite cut it at senior level when given the opportunity this season?

8. Is this Drew Banfield's last season?

9. Which will be the loss that seems like "the one that got away" at the seasons end?

10. And finally, the biggie - who will NOT be an Eagle in '05 ?

Bit pessimistic thinking about such things, but hey, it's not like any of the things listed can't happen.

Yes I know it's thinking too far ahead, but just give it a stab, and we'll see who can curse certain players/games when I drag this back up at the end of the year (if I remember to..)

Feel free to add your own questions.

Originally posted by Black JuJu
On the eve of the season all the boards are loaded with prediction threads for the year ahead. On team board such as this they seem to mostly be positive and optimistic, but being the slightly pessimistic chap that I am, I figured I would skew the idea a bit. So, what's your call (or random prediction) on the following questions? -

Bit pessimistic thinking about such things, but hey, it's not like any of the things listed can't happen.

Yes I know it's thinking too far ahead, but just give it a stab, and we'll see who can curse certain players/games when I drag this back up at the end of the year (if I remember to..)

Feel free to add your own questions.

You really are a miserable git, aren't you? :D

Nah, I'll give it a go..

Given he'll probably have a much higher workload than in previous years, Cox is susceptible, and ruckmen tend to be the most injury prone people in the team.
Of the midfielders, I have to admit I have nightmares about Judd doing a knee- its just the way he tends to use his leg strength to barge through packs- would be very easy to hyper extend that way.. (I am sitting on a wooden chair with both hands and feetfirmly planted on a wooden desk. Someone is installing wood laminate flooring here tomorrow)

If it happens, it will be sooner rather than later, whilst his lack of match fitness is still an issue- I'd say around round 9, another hammy.

I'll be optimistic and say upwards of 20. I think we'll be very gentle with him early on and build him up towards the finals.

4. When he has recovered from his current injury (3 or so weeks away), Will Travis Gaspar re-injure himself this season?
Of course not, wash your mouth out.

5. Of players that played over 15 games in '03, who is most likely to drop out the side and barely get a start? (Think Chambers and Collica in '03)

Green and Hunter need to hold form, l'd say Kaseys in a spot of bother early on, and if Morrison hits his stride then suddenly the HB line is a lot more difficult- Staker will also put pressure on the flank positions.

Banfield is in a similar position with Humm and Waters breathing down his neck, and I think our spine may have outgrown Jakovich and Carroll.

I'll say Greeny, Jakovich and Carroll will be unlucky this year.

Humm, Lynch, Johnson, Staker and McDougall should play 20 games or thereabouts if they put it together. I also expect Waters to get a game about round 17 and hold his place into the finals in a similar manner to Selwood and Staker last year.

7. Which youngster will not quite cut it at senior level when given the opportunity this season?

Butler is classy but lacks any real 'wow' factor about him. Selwood might also be bypassed by the new faces, and I don't think Jaymie Graham is at all read

He could play on if he wanted to, but I think Banners is smart enough to voluntarily hang up his boots- we've got a few gritty small defender types coming through, and if Humm and Waters develop as expected, I would say that by the end of the season it'll be a case of jump or be pushed.

9. Which will be the loss that seems like "the one that got away" at the seasons end?
I think we might very well drop both games against the dons- they always seem to beat us no matter what.

I think we'll do a bit of a clean out at the end of this season- aside from the possible retirements, neither of Collica or Pinocchio have done themselves any favours by getting injured just when they might have got an opportunity. If our new look spine gels, I think Hansen may get a bit ****ed off due to lack of opportunity and head east.

Retired/forcibly retired: Banfield, Jakovich (both these guys will *always* be Eagles) Collica
Traded or Delisted- Hansen, (to join Haynes at Geelong), Munro (to whoever wants him), one of Wooden and Chambers.

Phil Matera

Round 1

3. How many senior games will Michael Gardiner play for the season? 8 games

4. When he has recovered from his current injury (3 or so weeks away), Will Travis Gaspar re-injure himself this season? Not if he has 4 weeks in the WAFL before cominhg back into the team.

5. Of players that played over 15 games in '03, who is most likely to drop out the side and barely get a start? (Think Chambers and Collica in '03) Kasey Green

6. Who will do the opposite and claim a place in the team? (a positive one!) Beau Waters or Mark Nicoski

7. Which youngster will not quite cut it at senior level when given the opportunity this season? Brent Staker

8. Is this Drew Banfield's last season? Yes

Adelaide

Banfield, Jakovich, Collica, Rudeforth, and Hansen

Re: Re: Re: Be the Devil's Advocate.

Originally posted by Mr Eagle
Yeah right :rolleyes: Both are required players at this club!

Which club were you referring to?

I don't think we'll suffer from any major set backs, having said that i'll go with Morrison.

Round 13 - Hamstring

Yes Dammit :mad:

Hard one here, too bad Carroll only played 14 ;)

6. Who will do the opposite and claim a place in the team?

Lynch!

i'll go with Butler ?

Nope!

Hawthorn down at york park round 15

If Jako were to retire - Jakovich, Munro, Hansen,

Originally posted by Clayton

i'll go with Butler ?

Shirley you can't be serious!!!!

Read this and then apologise for ever doubting young Sam. He will be a superstar. Out of this years draft choices he would definitely be the pick of the bunch.

Sam Butler (Central District)
186/77 bottom-age right foot (dual-sided) inside mid-fielder/ HFF.
Was possibly the surprise packet of the '03 Champs. Only slim, but nice height for midfielder. A late convert from footy to soccer but is a natural in both skills and smarts and is athletic as well. And he is bottom-age. A very attractive package.
Bottom line: I believe he is definite AFL material. Good size for a middy, great vision, poise and skills. A late convert to footy (from soccer) but great upside. Ready year 2, maybe earlier if he bulks up quickly enough.

*STYLE LIKE: L Hayes

*TRADEMARK:
- Move well through traffic to gather, then show good vision and quick thinking to spot feed to a team in the clear, then immediately run on.
- Run hard to present, mark in front 1-1 on the lead, then accurate relaxed pass.

*SUMMARY ASSESSMENT, RECOMMENDATION:
A really smart, cool, clean, natural footballer. A newbie to footy but classy.
Can get his own ball and is also good at presenting an option is space. Overall I'd describe him as "inside".
Athletic, chases hard. Backs himself but is also very accountable to the nearest opponent.

*DISPOSAL, DECISION-MAKING, SMARTS:
- Not a physical hard nut in the usual sense but is excellent in close, especially at centre bounce. Great vision, poise, balance, disposal. A natural footballer. Very consistent, reliable. Gets own ball but also excellent link man. Good at creaing space and finding space to link.
- Very reliable disposal, hand or foot, either side, short or long, especially given that he gets many of his possessions under pressure. Relaxed nice kicking style (although slightly low take) - excellent depth, accuracy. Nice mix of feeds and kicks. Generally favours long option with kicks.
- Good at "blink & you miss it" feeds under pressure.
- Can create opportunities out of nothing close to goals but his non-set shots for goal are a mixed bag.
- Seldom uses non-preferred left foot but is adept with it, even under great pressure on the run.
- Excellent traffic management. Very good at stop plays - he mainly sits under the ruckman, reads the ball very well, shows quick reflexes, good awareness and clean hands both getting and giving.
- Reads play well, spots & feeds well, and is good decision-maker in close or on the run, even under the greatest of pressure.
- Great poise. Always looks for options - spots them quickly with good vision but will take as much time as he needs until an option presents. Everything he does is purposeful.
- Very cool, confident but occasionally shows poor awareness of the pressure he is under when he has the ball, resulting in him getting nailed or smothered. In those cases, he either takes too long or tries to do too much. Not too often and possibly of the learning curve involved in crossing from soccer and having to adjust to tempo.
- Keeps arms free when tackled.

*HANDS:
- Very clean

*OVERHEAD MARKING:
- Very clean. Pack marking is not really part of his style but he is rarely beaten 1-1 and he tries for front position.

*ATHLETICISM, INTENSITY, ETHIC, CONSISTENCY:
- DC/SS results were quite poor except for speed (which was reasonable). However, I have to go on what I saw in games, where he covered a lot of ground, showed good speed and agility, pushed himself hard and marked reliably overhead, especially on the lead.
- Good off the mark, good pace.
- Great ethic. Charges from one opponent to the next to apply strong pressure. Fierce tackler.
- Excellent balance. Keeps his feet.
- Good evasion and doesn't mind taking them on.
- Excellent lateral recovery / agility - definitely no big turning circle for this boy. You don't wrong foot him and find yourself free of pressure.
- Slim but quite strong already and will have a nice build.
- Is fairly quiet verbally, even on the ground, but is very determined and plays with a good combination of poise and intensity.

*SCI (SCOPE FOR CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT):
- Soccer convert so plenty of scope.

*AFL VERSATILITY:
- Should be very versatile. Ideal for midfield but could play anywhere down the flanks very efficiently (and not just on a pinch-hit basis).

*QUERY:
- Nothing significant.

*SOME STATS:
- Stats summary '03 U18 Champs:
Averaged 18 disposals and 4.3 marks in 3 U18 Rep games.
Kicks vs feeds: mixed
Tackles: 6
S.P. clearances: 9 incl 2 cbc & 4 other b/u (impressive as wasn't onball that much)
Gets own ball?: 15/55 TD were HR. 5 HBG
Kicks long vs short: routinely favours long. 21-5
Kicking accuracy: 5/31 were ineff
Handball accuracy: 3/24 were ineff/clang incl 1 clang
Marking: 13 (incl 0 contested)

*OTHER STUFF:
- AIS
- Played SANFL Reserves '03.
- Soccer.

Josh Wooden's collarbone will be the worst

Do a slight hammy with 2 min to go in the Grand Final

No

David Haynes :) (playing for Geelong would have to be as good as dropped)

Quinten Lynch

Can't see a way out of this one... ummm ... Kane Munro

It is decidedly so

We'll lose by two points to Essendon at the Dome. Won't seem so bad in a 24-1 season though

Matthew Richardson :D. Not only that but he won't even be linked to us next time round

OK, this time for real :)

Danny Chick

Round 8

Is the Pope Catholic?

Darren Glass or Drew Banfield. Would have been Haynes had he stayed.

Quinten Lynch. Of course the legend that is Trent Carroll will play every game

This season? Its between Selwood, Butler, Seaby and Waters, depending on who actually gets a go. Chambers if he counts as a youngster

Yes

We'll drop a game to Essendon at the Dome after leading at half time

Jako and Banfield and possibilities: Chambers, Hansen, Wooden

Travis Gaspar (again)

Rd 15

Yes - comeback will only be for a few weeks.

Kasey Green, Drew Banfield, Michael Collica

6. Who will do the opposite and claim a place in the team? (a positive one!) Staker, Lynch, hopefully Nicoski

Selwood & Humm

Yes.

Will lose 2 games by 12 points or less. One game we would have been in front with 5 minutes to go.

I'll give you two:
Kane Munro & Jeremy Humm

[/B]

Probably one of the young talls... they seem most vulnerable

somewhere in the first half of the season

20 at the most... I'm optimistic!

Probably

Banfield, Green, the guys coming back from injury

Who will do the opposite and claim a place in the team? (a positive one!)
As long as he keeps it that way, Lynch, as well as McDougall, Humm and NICO!!! :D And Staker, I'm convinced he wasn't a two-goal-wonder

hard to tell... Munro if he counts...

I'd like it not to be

The games against Essendon or Adelaide

10. And finally, the biggie - who will NOT be an Eagle in '05?
Munro, Jakovich, maybe Chambers/Collica... Edwards will have to be delisted but he'll probably be picked back up:rolleyes:

Re: Re: Be the Devil's Advocate.

Originally posted by Mr Q

Matthew Richardson :D. Not only that but he won't even be linked to us next time round

After the game he played tonight I wouldn't have minded having him on the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wooden ( already happened )
17 ( out for 2 weeks )
yes, but minorly and will play finals this year for us ( but he'll have to start bench becuase Johnson has CHF down )

Carrol, our defence will cope well and he'll be stuck in the WAFL
Lyncyh, Johnson, McDougall
Hamsen
It will be up to him whether he stays or goes
Essendon orund 3
Jakovich, Hansen ( too many ruckmen ), Chambers (trade for second round draft pick )

Carroll.

Round 4

Is that a trick question?

Green.

6.Who will do the opposite and claim a place in the team? (a positive one!)
Definitely Lynch and McDougall.

Nicoski. I like him, but needs another year.

No, he'll continue the current trend of playing 1 year past his use by date.

Essendon.

10. And finally, the biggie - who will NOT be an Eagle in '05?
Collica, Jako, Green.

Well, I may as well answer my own questions..

One of the midfield group - maybe Chad Fletcher or Michael Braun.

Round 3

Yes, within 3 weeks of returning,

I think Kasey Green may be up against it, I also have previously predicted that Ashley Sampi may struggle.

Hopefully, Quinten Lynch and a small, quick defender like Jeremy Humm. Pie in the Sky hope = Travis Gaspar.

7. Which youngster will not quite cut it at senior level when given the
opportunity this season?

I've got a feeling it will not all be smooth sailing for Brent Staker. I'm also of the opinion that it may not be a sure thing that Andrew McDougall is the saviour up front.

Yeah I think Drew may be winding down - hopefully not though, a cracker of a year from Drew would be awesome.

Willing to be quickly proven wrong, but round 1 against the Dogs.

Glen Jakovich, Drew Banfield, Ashley Hansen, Josh Wooden, Michael Collica, Callum Chambers - if he goes down again, Travis Gaspar.

Jako

round 13 - but it won't be anything major

no, but i think he'll have trouble stringing games together

Carrol

Lynch and Nicoski.

opportunity this season?

Brent Staker. it pains me to say it. hopefully i'll be proved wrong

depends on how he goes. if he does alright i think he'll stay for another year. With this being Jako's last, if Banners goes, we'll have no players over the age of 28 starting next season and i reckon Woosh will want to keep him on.

Round 3 vs the Dons.

Glen Jakovich, Ashley Hansen, Josh Wooden, Michael Collica, Clancy Rudeforth, Kane Munro. [/B]

I think we'll get lucky here, and have no one major go down with a big injury. but i have a bad feeling we may lose someone major for a crucial match or two later in the season......

middle of the year, but nothing serious

19 H&A games plus all finals.

He'll come back through the WAFL (I hope). come into the team bout round 9-10ish and play out the season i reckon (form permitting)...

well Haynes obviousbly, Carroll (played 14 in 03), and i think one of Green or Hunter may struggle with Staker coming through and the recruiting of Waters.

Waters, injury permitting.
Morrison and Lynch..... don't know. we've got so many players coming through it's unreal!

opportunity this season?

I think Nicoski will struggle a bit in his first season, but signs are he'll get through. Still think he's a bit small. And i think Selwood and Hansen may get overthrown by a few fresher faces.

most probably

don't know.

Retired: Jakovich and Banfield.
Delisted: Trent Carroll. One (maybe two) of Humm or Munro (most likely the latter), possibly Collica if he doesn't get back on track.

Dragging this back up!

Some interesting answers.

Everyone was so devasted after the round 3 loss to Essendon but it was easily the most popular pick for 'the one that got away' prior to the season!

I also picked that Michael Gardiner would reinjury himself in that match, sorry.

Black JuJu said:
Everyone was so devasted after the round 3 loss to Essendon but it was easily the most popular pick for 'the one that got away' prior to the season!

Isn't 'the Essendon game' ALWAYS the one that got away?

Black JuJu said:
Dragging this back up!

Some interesting answers.

I also picked that Michael Gardiner would reinjury himself in that match, sorry.
So it's all your fault.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back