Opinion Beams deal reviewed - incoming players (bumped, see post #672)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aish would need to be traded. There is 0 chance that the Lions are going to trade him to us. I don't want him anyway, we have young kids developing we need another ready made midfielder.

True - I doubt we would want to trade with the Lions anyway.

With the Crap they did with Beams last season and they are a pack of Amateurs

True - I doubt we would want to trade with the Lions anyway.

With the Crap they did with Beams last season and they are a pack of Amateurs
A pack of amateurs that got exactly what they wanted at a bargain price. They definitely came out on top of the trade.

A pack of amateurs that got exactly what they wanted at a bargain price. They definitely came out on top of the trade.

Well - They had Beams Signed up by Mid Year and That gave us no other Choice to Trade Beams.

They had pot shots on twitter against us during the Trade Period and when the trade was done. Was Pathetic

Well - They had Beams Signed up by Mid Year and That gave us no other Choice to Trade Beams.

They had pot shots on twitter against us during the Trade Period and when the trade was done. Was Pathetic

We did have a choice.
We didn't have to trade him at all.
He was still under contract.

We did have a choice.
We didn't have to trade him at all.
He was still under contract.

But would you be happy to have someone on our list that did not want to be there or Not Play for us at All?

Happy to cop flack for this as the year unfolds but I'm pretty sure we robbed the Lions on the Beams deal.

Here is my early assessment of the players we received after watching them live:

- Crisp impressed me the most. I'm not sure what this kids major flaws are but he is strong, tall, fast and makes every single contest (like EVERY single one). I was told his kicking wasn't great but I did not notice it as an issue tonight.

- DeGoey's fourth quarter showed exactly why Hine rates him. That piece of play where he burnt Mitchell and hit up a target was straight out of a Collingwood supporter's wet dreams. Showed enough to suggest that he is special.

I'm not sure if we got Levi or Varcoe with our second rounder but this is my assessment of both of them

- Levi is a bull with natural presence. He has no issue bashing into every contest and comes out looking fresh as a daisy. He is a fit and healthy Luke Ball replacement that doesn't mind kicking a goal.

- Varcoe has received a lot of flack on here tonight but I'm going to have to politely disagree. This guy has the sort of silk and speed that causes teams to panic and perhaps more importantly he is very good defensively and doesn't stop harassing. He also carries that Geelong arrogance and backs himself in which I think we need more of at our club.

I know its still early days but the signs are good - the Beams 3-1 deal may have allowed us to fix a few holes in our list that would have otherwise been left open.

Varcoe like his old Geelong team in pre season games was in 2nd gear, had a poor game playing deep as a FP which imo is not his GO. He will give us much more as the season progress', some players take half a year to come to grips with new team mates and game structures. He could barely name a youngsters name (this imo was more dissapointing then his actual game as it shows a clear lack of character on his part!). Anyway he will come good.

Greenwood had me blushing at stages such was my man love for his attack on the ball/contest!

DeGoey I'm on the band wagon kid is a *ing Bull, 4 mins to go in the 1st quarter watch hi tackle on a hawk player (which resulted in turn over and goal to pies) he hits them with malice! Love those types!

Crisp very good game and for mine should be a starter in our 22.

Karny! you beauty exactly what our forward line needs if BLAIR gets a game over him I will be livid and extremely critical of our selection committee and Bucks!

I couldn't agree more on Patty K. He showed class when where we need and found space in the forward and read the play beautifully tonight. Definetly starting 22, and i agree with loki04 If blair gets games over him i'll be a bit annoyed, however i do understand often enough blair can be a bull himself playing inside.

Ben Kennedy really didn't impress me at all. De Goey looks great, Levi is great, and he was linking up plays really well for us.

Disagree with the OP that we can say much about winning the trade after one preseason game (and before Brisbane has even played at all) but I like the thread idea, will be interesting to see how we feel about it from rd 10 or so onwards.

Absolute madness to say we have won this trade already. It's all well and good to say these guys are good, beams was an exceptionally good midfielder, and at just 25 he's entering the prime of his career and can only improve. Last nights signs are promising, but it's only nab cup and you could easily say Beams can still take his game to another level this year or next.

Just said this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here.

I actually think Greenwood will complement Swan and Pendles better than Beams. He'll obviously never be a better player than Beams, but I think the reason our midfield got so smashed last year despite high posessions by the trio is because all 3 of Swan, Pendles and Beams are effectively outside mids. Yeah they can win the inside ball, but ultimately, they're outsiders. Greenwood seems to relish being under the packs getting the s**t kicked out of him like Luke Ball did, which I think makes Swan and Pendlbury more EFFECTIVE midfielders. Not necessarily better, but more effective. I'm looking forward to seeing those 3 walk to the centre circle together, I think it's going to be a good combination.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The OP is embarrassing. You don't swap Beams for 2 mediocre players (compared to Beams) and pick 5 and call it "stealing".

On last nights performances - if we swapped Beams with Anderson you would have said we won... Shocking call.

Beams has suddenly become the most underrated player in the league...

Very early days

DeGoey hopefully should become a star over the next couple of years

Crisp looks the goods but i am not sold on him yet

Greenwood is just a bull will be a pleasure to watch over the next 5/6 years

The OP is embarrassing. You don't swap Beams for 2 mediocre players (compared to Beams) and pick 5 and call it "stealing".

On last nights performances - if we swapped Beams with Anderson you would have said we won... Shocking call.

What????????????????

I think there is an awfully long bow being drawn here.

While I won't echo Zhou Enlai and his (actually misunderstood) answer in 1971 about the significance of the French Revolution (it's too early to say), I don't think we can get carried away yet on the guys we have.

And we haven't seen the other side of the equation at all...which is what does Beams bring to Brisbane.

I would be massively satisfied with a draw, because on the face of it we got unders.

Majorly early days, but in 4 years time when we're moving in for our back to back premierships, and Dayne is almost 30 and sporting a collection of wooden spoons to make even Gordon Ramsey blush then I wager our 22 year old JDG, 25 year old Crispy and our now beloved warhorse Greenwood will be looking prettttty bloody good.

Tend to agree with a lot of this, however I rated De Goey's game one rung below Anderson's so I'm not so sure about the bolded.

Just said this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here.

I actually think Greenwood will complement Swan and Pendles better than Beams. He'll obviously never be a better player than Beams, but I think the reason our midfield got so smashed last year despite high posessions by the trio is because all 3 of Swan, Pendles and Beams are effectively outside mids. Yeah they can win the inside ball, but ultimately, they're outsiders. Greenwood seems to relish being under the packs getting the s**t kicked out of him like Luke Ball did, which I think makes Swan and Pendlbury more EFFECTIVE midfielders. Not necessarily better, but more effective. I'm looking forward to seeing those 3 walk to the centre circle together, I think it's going to be a good combination.

Agreed, and I like Adams in that similar role to Greenwood added to the mix. We continually got smashed out of the middle in the last few years.

And ................ Dayne Beams is a jet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back