Society/Culture Being 'offended' - Australia's favourite pastime?

Are Australians in general too easily offended?

• No - we are laidback as, mate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - although we are getting there

• Yes - but we are getting better

• Yes - and it has always been this way

• Yes - and it seems to be getting worse

• Yes - and it has gotten MUCH worse recently

• I don't know

• Is offence spelt with a 'c' or an 's'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

733959-nick-d-039-arcy-and-kenrick-monk.jpg

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/swifter-higher-stronger-dumber/story-e6frfhqf-1226387957984

Can anyone tell me how this photo is offensive?

It's not. But it will offend the politically correct.
And because we are not allowed to offend the politically correct because that would involve being politically incorrect, which then causes even more offense, it is then deemed offensive.

I don't understand, why isn't there any outrage over Michael Diamond and all the pictures of him holding a gun?

I daresay it wouldn't have been an issue had it been Olympians other than those two bozos.

Well look what we have here, the Herald Sun managed to find someone who was offend by D'Arcy and Monk.

WALTER Mikac has hit out at Australia's gun-toting Olympic swimmers, revealing he is deeply offended by their controversial photo.

Mr Mikac, whose wife, Nanette, and daughters Alannah, 6, and Madeline, 3, died in the Port Arthur massacre, said Olympians Nick D'Arcy and Kenrick Monk should be role models who set standards rather than lowered them.

"I do find this photo of our Olympians cockily wielding weaponry offensive indeed," he said.
"Thankfully, I feel confident I am not alone."

I also like their not so subtle dig at Fairfax

In rare public comments, Mr Mikac spoke out after several commentators defended the pair, including a column published by Fairfax that dismissed the photo as a harmless holiday snap.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...mikac-in-despair/story-fn7x8me2-1226391682656

I hate where this country is going in regards to PC-ness.

WALTER Mikac has hit out at Australia's gun-toting Olympic swimmers, revealing he is deeply offended by their controversial photo.

Mr Mikac, whose wife, Nanette, and daughters Alannah, 6, and Madeline, 3, died in the Port Arthur massacre, said Olympians Nick D'Arcy and Kenrick Monk should be role models who set standards rather than lowered them.

"I do find this photo of our Olympians cockily wielding weaponry offensive indeed," he said.
"Thankfully, I feel confident I am not alone."

The standard victim/pity angle favored by social engineers these days.

The implication is that if you choose to trivialise the media driven hysteria of this non issue, then by extension you support the murder of children.

Let's be frank, it's an infantile exercise in emotional blackmail.

Mikac is quite obviously a shallow moron for allowing the murder of his children to be used in this manner.

Well look what we have here, the Herald Sun managed to find someone who was offend by D'Arcy and Monk.

I hate where this country is going in regards to PC-ness.

Its out of control and needs to be put back in its place. Even people on the radio this morning supporting them were saying it was a little bit silly - bit silly? makes me feel like heading down the gun shop for some happy snaps tbh. More people die to car accidents i trust the HS will stop advertising them? nah of course not, no person in their right mind would expect that.

Question for Walter Mikac.

Dear Walter, if you had a firearm in your possession at Port Arthur on the 28th of April 1996, would you have used it to defend your childrens lives?

Question for Walter Mikac.

Dear Walter, if you had a firearm in your possession at Port Arthur on the 28th of April 1996, would you have used it to defend your childrens lives?

Better yet, is he offended by the Olympics having shooting as a sport, surely he would view it as highlighting the fun of guns?

Better yet, is he offended by the Olympics having shooting as a sport, surely he would view it as highlighting the fun of guns?

Walter makes a living out of being a professional victim.

I think it's detestable that he profits off the deaths of his children in this manner.

Noel MacNamara is another one.

"Usefull idiots" for a political agenda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't see the thread with the Twin Towers, so can't comment. But fully agree with the sentiment regarding people being offended and too PC. Can't stand it.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/05/28/101-being-offended/ (It's from the website "Stuff White People Like", hence the constant references to white people"

To be offended is usually a rather unpleasant experience, one that can expose a person to intolerance, cultural misunderstandings, and even evoke the scars of the past. This is such an unpleasant experience that many people develop a thick skin and try to only be offended in the most egregious and awful situations. In many circumstances, they can allow smaller offenses to slip by as fighting them is a waste of time and energy.
But white people, blessed with both time and energy, are not these kind of people. In fact there are few things white people love more than being offended. Naturally, white people do not get offended by statements directed at white people. In fact, they don’t even have a problem making offensive statements about other white people (ask a white person about “flyover states”). As a rule, white people strongly prefer to get offended on behalf of other people.
It is also valuable to know that white people spend a significant portion of their time preparing for the moment when they will be offended. They read magazines, books, and watch documentaries all in hopes that one day they will encounter a person who will say something offensive. When this happens, they can leap into action with quotes, statistics, and historical examples. Once they have finished lecturing another white person about how it’s wrong to use the term “black” instead of “African-American,” they can sit back and relax in the knowledge that they have made a difference.
White people also get excited at the opportunity to be offended at things that are sexist and/or homophobic. Both cases offering ample opportunities for lectures, complaints, graduate classes, lengthy discussions and workshops. All of which do an excellent job of raising awareness among white people who hope to change their status from “not racist” to “super not racist.”
Another thing worth noting is that the threshold for being offended is a very important tool for judging and ranking white people. Missing an opportunity to be outraged is like missing a reference to Derrida-it’s social death.
If you ever need to make a white person feel indebted to you, wait for them to mention a book, film, or television show that features a character who is the same race as you, then say “the representation of <insert race> was offensive and if you can’t see that, well, you need to do some soul searching.” After they return from their hastily booked trip to land of your ancestors, they will be desperate to make it up to you. At this point, it is acceptable to ask them to help you paint your house.

I've read seen that site. I found it to be very offensive. :)

Not offensive to me. But the guy on the left may offend many gangster try hards. Who may say something like. "I been reppin (see pretending they be hard, hanging out at suburban train stations at night hassling people, talking gibberish, real gang bangers stuff off the streets of that place Ice cube raps about). Since day one yo.Keepin real. He best step up son, I'm so fresh he don't know who be playin with player bout to be played. Think he b real! I'll give low down, the 9...1...1. ect. As you see can clearly see this may been seen mocking them.

lolwut?

If the picture was of them smoking a bong, you'd get a similar reaction. Misplaced though the outrage is, it has nothing to do with your pseudo-anarchist fantasies.

That's not true. If they where smoking a bong they would be banned from the Australian team. The reaction would have much swifter. As our government would see a bong as much more dangerous than guns.

Lets hope Diamond doesnt post photos of himself in speedos!
Why not, he could enter politics. Pro guns got nationals on side. Tony Abbott's demeted smile from ear to ear. Yes, olympic gold medalist, who has no shame just like me. HAHAHAHHA

The standard victim/pity angle favored by social engineers these days.

The implication is that if you choose to trivialise the media driven hysteria of this non issue, then by extension you support the murder of children.

Let's be frank, it's an infantile exercise in emotional blackmail.a

Mikac is quite obviously a shallow moron for allowing the murder of his children to be used in this manner.

Guns are bad accept when held be soldiers in country far away. Then there called hero's.

Guns are bad accept when held be soldiers in country far away. Then there called hero's.

Soldiers aren't heroes by fact that they deploy to a faraway country on the whim of politicians that the populace allows into power by donkey voting or not giving a s**t about the political process (then hypocritically whining about the results).

Soldiers are heroes because they possess sufficient courage to volunteer do unpleasant things at the behest of a government which would force the citzenry to be conscripted to do unpleasant things if there weren't sufficient numbers of volunteers to do them, all whilst said populace which doesn't have aforementioned courage doesn't give a s**t beyond pretending to be a warrior for truth and virtue on the Internet.

Soldiers aren't heroes by fact that they deploy to a faraway country on the whim of politicians that the populace allows into power by donkey voting or not giving a s**t about the political process (then hypocritically whining about the results).

Soldiers are heroes because they possess sufficient courage to volunteer do unpleasant things at the behest of a government which would force the citzenry to be conscripted to do unpleasant things if there weren't sufficient numbers of volunteers to do them, all whilst said populace which doesn't have aforementioned courage doesn't give a s**t beyond pretending to be a warrior for truth and virtue on the Internet.

Come now si, no civvies have courage?

How many people do you know who are in the army? I have many mates currently serving an a few who have left. The did it for the money or pressure from there family. Who served. Everyone of them returned dead inside. Most suffered from some level of depression from complete brake down to just very distant. . An told me I was right not join up. As at one stage I considering joining myself as I wasn't working an was in a very bad place. However war goes against all of my morals. Courage is doing you believe is right. Courage is not giving up dispite adversity.
If everyone refused to go to war there would be no war. Forced conscription doubt it some nations have it. However it's been in place for a very long time. An excepted as the norm. There's protest over all sorts of things in the city. We would have riots like London had if they attempted to force it on us.

How many people do you know who are in the army?

Considering I was in the Army myself for 10 years, I'd say I've personally met somewhere around the 1000 mark.

I have many mates currently serving an a few who have left. The did it for the money or pressure from there family
Who served.

Me too, good folks, most of them I'd still willingly hop in front of a moving train for. I know one or two who joined for money - don't know anyone thankfully who joined because of "pressure from the family" - and I'd consider it genuinely sad of it's own accord if anyone did.

Everyone of them returned dead inside. Most suffered from some level of depression from complete brake down to just very distant.

Sorry to hear that. Service affects different people in different ways, according to their own experiences and ability to process those experiences. I've seen both good and bad from that, and to be honest the level of support given to those who struggle by the government is largely and historically, crap.

An told me I was right not join up. As at one stage I considering joining myself as I wasn't working an was in a very bad place.

Whether you join up or not is up to you as an individual. No-one can make that choice to join up, or not, except you.

However war goes against all of my morals.

War is considered to be a tragic waste by most reasonable people with any perception of reality. In terms of morals, well honestly, good for you.

My Moral code dictates to me that warfare can be a two way exchange, as such sometimes it becomes necessary to participate in it, even though the concept of doing so is not a pleasant prospect. At the time for instance, I saw what the TNI was doing to people in East Timor, now Timor Leste. My moral code dictated to me that if that ever happened in Perth, and someone wanted to burn my family's home, abuse and assault my family, or worse "disappear" them, that I'd be wanting someone to patrol the streets with an assault rifle to ensure that that didn't happen. Further my moral code demanded that if I was going to want someone I'd never so much as meet take that risk on my behalf, I owed it to them to be prepared to do the same.

I was aware that being a bunch of politicians, the government might decide to send me on a tasking that was morally more ambiguous. In such an instance, again my moral code told me, considering the nature of governments and conscription (see below and my previous post) that I'd rather the government send me to some sh!thole to get messed up rather than say, my younger brother, or my younger sister.

Funny thing about morals, some people believe they're relative.

Courage is doing you believe is right. Courage is not giving up dispite adversity.

Agreed. Courage is also sacrificing things in your life so that others don't have to.

If everyone refused to go to war there would be no war. Forced conscription doubt it some nations have it.
However it's been in place for a very long time. An excepted as the norm. There's protest over all sorts of things in the city. We would have riots like London had if they attempted to force it on us.

I like your idealism, even if it is simplistic. But I'm afraid you're wrong, and demonstrably wrong. Plenty of nations' governments have historically used conscription to fulfil an objective, even if that objective is to avoid being invaded. Australia for instance has had forced conscription before; Hell, one of our greatest Prime Ministers, a peaceful man who was ardently against it still legislated for it and we threw two battalions of conscripts with no training worthy of the name against a battle hardened Japanese force at Kokoda because it was clear that Australian AIF soldiers wouldn't get there in time. Little place called Kokoda, you may have heard of it? Some of those conscripts were boys who'd been picked up in the Sydney suburbs with an hour or two hours' notice.

Finally, how does anything you've responded above invalidate the point I was making?

@ ClubMED; Sorry mate, got carried away. Of course everyone has courage or is capable of it. If civilians didn't have courage, soldiers couldn't either, because every soldier is a civilian before (and hopefully after) they are a soldier. I should've said "some civilians". Courage certainly isn't defined by occupation... you can be just as courageous as a janitor as you can be as a cop or ambo for instance.

Apologies if I offended mate, that was dead wrong of me to say and you're absolutely right to pull me up on it. :thumbsu:

Back