Ben Newton

Remove this Banner Ad

Well yes and no.
No as Port will be upgrading players from the rookie list so not all active picks are "active" as such.
Yes as if they knew he would walk he would have been worth a bit higher than some of the other picks we have, but talk of second or early third rounders are way off the mark. His potential is higher than that but current worth is low.

For those wondering how bad someone that has only played 4 games in 4 years is, his first couple of years were mucked up and has been coming on in leaps and bounds lately. Definitely a player that may mature with age as some do, and will be a decent get for someone that needs a clearance player.
So why didn't Port try & trade Newton for some value, as surely could have got an improved draft pick?

So why didn't Port try & trade Newton for some value, as surely could have got an improved draft pick?
Well we don't know if he said he was going to walk.
Also I agree with you that the Ryder trade would have been a major distraction but IMO the biggest muck up would have been the large number of quality players that decided to walk during the trade period.
Pre trade it sounded as if a few mid range players were being discussed including O'Shea and Newton from Port.
Once the quality players jumped ship it would have mucked up a lot of plans including whatever we were hoping to package to get picks for both Ryder and Gorringe.

Well we don't know if he said he was going to walk.
Also I agree with you that the Ryder trade would have been a major distraction but IMO the biggest muck up would have been the large number of quality players that decided to walk during the trade period.
Pre trade it sounded as if a few mid range players were being discussed including O'Shea and Newton from Port.
Once the quality players jumped ship it would have mucked up a lot of plans including whatever we were hoping to package to get picks for both Ryder and Gorringe.
Probably did you a favour, as you may of ended up then with Gorringe who appears to be a headcase! ;)

Probably did you a favour, as you may of ended up then with Gorringe who appears to be a headcase! ;)
Yeah that's a weird one and hard to work out exactly why it happened.
Surely he didn't think that Port should have gone for him in a way that may have mucked up the Ryder trade.

Since when do players get involved with list management decisions?
What you hear from managers in the public and what is said in private are two different things.
A manager isn't going to bad mouth his former employer as it will induce alarm bells at his new club.

Paul Connors disagrees

Newton's first two years were wrecked with injury. 2013 he finally started to string games together. Early 2014 he looked set to overtake Moore and Young but only managed a few games at AFL level - too many guns in front of him.
I think Port has stuffed this up - there is no other explanation to why he wasn't traded. Any pick between 50-70 would have been ok imo.
Apparently Newton is a well like, humble sort of guy who just want a chance at getting a crack at AFL

Newton's first two years were wrecked with injury. 2013 he finally started to string games together. Early 2014 he looked set to overtake Moore and Young but only managed a few games at AFL level - too many guns in front of him.
I think Port has stuffed this up - there is no other explanation to why he wasn't traded. Any pick between 50-70 would have been ok imo.
Apparently Newton is a well like, humble sort of guy who just want a chance at getting a crack at AFL

I don't think so. Any pick after 40 odd is the same as any other really. Definitely after 50. How many live picks full stop do you think there'll actually be after 50?

Port offered him a contract thats why he wasn't traded... We wanted to keep him.
Lol, hardly.
Headcase probably isn't the right word. I think douchebag would be more appropriate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange that he can't find a suitor via the PSD.

Maybe he actually didn't attract much interest?
Either Melbourne aren't keen on he isn't keen on us. Otherwise that could be done by now or soon.

But when it comes to going the national draft it's a tricky situation that involves understanding his value and trying to get to the team that he wants. Ball and Jacobs managed it.

As no teams are back in training yet there is nothing to lose by being patient. If he's in high demand by any clubs we'll find out about it soon enough.

He'll find a place
Either at a bottom eight club or at Geelong.

Worse case scenario- he doesn't get selected by another club and port redraft him. Would be better than drafting an untried player. IMO

Ha - yeh sorry what I was getting at, is that the media reports are implying he already decided to enter the national draft, rather than the PSD.

It could just be that he hasnt had a chance to meet with many clubs yet, and may still nominate for the PSD.

Or it could mean he hasn't had enough interest for a commitment so he feels the need to give himself every chance by going through the national draft first.

Either Melbourne aren't keen on he isn't keen on us. Otherwise that could be done by now or soon.

But when it comes to going the national draft it's a tricky situation that involves understanding his value and trying to get to the team that he wants. Ball and Jacobs managed it.

As no teams are back in training yet there is nothing to lose by being patient. If he's in high demand by any clubs we'll find out about it soon enough.

True, but even if Melbourne aren't interested he can keep working his way down.

I guess he hasn't had a commitment - or wants to get to a top side like Hawthorrn, Sydney or Geelong.

Do you think we'd save a spot for him if he was emphatic about not coming?
We don't really have anything to lose. Can still sign DFAs after the PSD (I think) and there's no one else that we'd really be missing out on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back