Ben Newton

Remove this Banner Ad

Do the Dees have the list space to sign Newton? You had to delist Tapscott yesterday to make pick 40 a live pick.

They can because stretch can be the 3rd pick but if they were going to give up a good pick at 40 they would have just traded it for Newton anyway.

A club like Geelong, and a few others, have more list spots.

Do the Dees have the list space to sign Newton? You had to delist Tapscott yesterday to make pick 40 a live pick.
More likely that we delisted Tapscott so we can sign Newton. Don't think we'll be using 40 unless we can cut one of our contracted players.

I still think he is the perfect fit for WCE. Would love to see him go either there (mainly the go home factor) or somewhere where he will fit into the 22 straight off the bat and get game time.

McDonald, Frost, Garland and Dunn are far from a terrible KPD quartet. Loosing Frawley certainly weakens the calibre of our key defensive stocks, but the loss of Clark mean our key forward stocks are in much more dire need of replenishment.

And Pedersen is arguably more comfortable down back if needed.

McCartin is who we want, although Petracca and Brayshaw would be manna from heaven.

I doubt he only decided to not re-sign now.

Only speculating, but IMO it's likely that Port could have easily got him to where he wanted to go, but Port chose not to facilitate any such move.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...e-national-draft/story-fnia6ojc-1227108439819

Well Port have now agreed to delist him (rather than Ben delisting himself) so he can go wherever he wants as a DFA with Ben's manager publicly praising Port for their handling of the situation, so I hope you realise now how accurate that speculation of yours was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne it is. Good pick up. :thumbsu:

Very pleased. Does things in his highlights reel which make you think "surely he's a regular", or at least more so than other players. Would love to be in a position to force players like Newton away for lack of opportunity.

PAFC kicking more goals with their handling of the situation. A lot to like about them as a club atm.

We like Ben as a player, obviously, wouldn't have offered a contract otherwise, but we also accepted he was low man on the totem pole.

So no bad feelings, we helped out a lad we liked.

They were right, they didn't.

And a player who the vast majority of Port fans still wish well not ending up at ASADAndon drinking the Hird KoolAid is a big moral win for the club.

Can't help feel a bit salty about the situation as I liked the guy, but glad that Melbourne appear to be on intent on giving him game time. He deserves it, all the best next year!

Can't help feel a bit salty about the situation as I liked the guy, but glad that Melbourne appear to be on intent on giving him game time. He deserves it, all the best next year!
I guess Newton leaving must have happened to late in the trade period for a deal to be done because at this stage we wont even use pick 40 yet alone pick 53 (I think we will free up a spot to use 40).

Correct me if I'm wrong but with your first 2 picks traded I would've thought pick 53 would've been of use to you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back