Injury Ben Reid Injured - announced 16th December, 4 - 6 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Right now going in to 2015 things aren't great. Buckley needs a big year to keep his job. Right now as it stands hes pushing the proverbial.
There's a number of areas of the club in the spotlight moving forward, including Bucks, his tactics, selections and his game plan, but it's not even January yet and Reid's calf is one piece of, admittedly, bad news.

There's a number of areas of the club in the spotlight moving forward, including Bucks, his tactics, selections and his game plan, but it's not even January yet and Reid's calf is one piece of, admittedly, bad news.

Good old TG can be relied upon to eventually turn every thread into a 'Sack Buckley' thread sooner or later.

Bless him.

It's easy to be downcast about Reid's potential to string a season of footy that is uninterrupted by injury. History is the best predictor and all that.

Recurring soft tissue injuries are nightmare material but one has to allow for the possibility of "a permanent fix" no matter how futile it might seem. The club has committed to the guy for the long term and he is important. All we can do is support him, and focus on the upside. Arguably it's our job as supporters.

@TG Please don't misinterpret your pessimistic view as realism. The truth is never as bleak as you paint it.

My gripe is with the morons that signed him up long term when he is the last player on our list that should have been offered 3 years or more.

:rolleyes: Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it. No one would have been saying that at the time he put pen to paper.

If we had not offered him a long term deal he may have left. Given that he is "essential for our chances" it would seem we had little choice.

I'd say that Brown is equally important for our chances, but I sure as s**t ain't giving him 4 years either.

If it came down to 4 years or I'm off, despite his importance, I would have taken selection 10 at the 2014 draft table over Ben Reid injured throughout a 4 year deal on 500k per year.

That's a massive drain on resources because not only does it deny you Reid, but it means you can't replace him under the cap...

Last edited:
It ain't hindsight when you make the comments before and directly after signing the deal :rolleyes:

Go find the thread of you doubt me!

Too much effort so I'll take your word for it, however not until 2014 was Reid ever so hampered by injury that it should have been a mitigating factor in his contract, and was he not signed in 2013? Perhaps a bit of clairvoyance on your behalf.

I knew Buckley was to blame. Sack him too. Sack them all!
I found the real culprit;

B5CoaZUCAAEp1Xj.jpg

Damn you Santa, just you watch, Jesse is in danger now.

This is a half truth. The Jolly injury also counted, and in both cases, it was a coaching decision to take the risk with these two. It was a case of judging that we would not win without them, given that there was no faith in Wood, and Brown was out injured. Perhaps we might have got there with two fit players of lower ability, but it was not Reid( or Jolley for that matter) that made the decision, it was the coaching staff of teh time.

I'll rephrase it then. It was Reid's injuries fault that we didn't win the grandfinal. If a fully fit AA Reid played instead of the injured underdone liability we would have one. We would have gotten away with carrying Jolly in the side if Reid was fully fit but he wasn't.

I'll rephrase it then. It was Reid's injuries fault that we didn't win the grandfinal. If a fully fit AA Reid played instead of the injured underdone liability we would have one. We would have gotten away with carrying Jolly in the side if Reid was fully fit but he wasn't.

Reid's injury is not a conscious life form capable of independent thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid's injury is not a conscious life form capable of independent thought.

I will say it words that you can understand.

If Reid didn't get injured we win the 2011 premiership.

What part are yo not getting?

How is anyone able to foresee the future?

He also cost us the 2011 grand final because of injury...

Malthouse cost us our shot at the 2011 premiership when he dropped the ball and failed to make the obvious call when Podsiadly went off injured. It was a disgracefully poor coaching performance for these reasons:

1. Reid went into the game injured/unfit and was always going to struggle to last the game. This was well publicized;

2. Tarrant was a much better one on one defender than even a fit Reid and was therefore more suited to playing on Hawkins, the only recognized key forward Geelong had after Pod went off;

3. Reid was a better intercept mark and far better kick than Tarrant so was more suited to playing the looser, third man up role Tarrant played after Pod went off; and

4. Not only did he fail to do the obvious straight away, but he left Reid on Hawkins as his condition worsened and Hawkins' influence increased.

Hey presto, Hawkins then went on to win the premiership on his own in a dominant second half performance.

My guess is that pre-game there was a discussion between the coaches as to who took Hawkins and Pod and Malthouse was adamant Reid was the better fit for Hawkins. He was then too stubborn to make the move because he would have seen it as a sign that he had changed his mind.

I have never been more furious watching a game in my life as I thought we were in trouble pre game because of our dip in form and Reid's condition. When Pod went off I thought we would win because the risk was over. There is no guarantee we would have won in the end but our coach took it out of our hands unfortunately. He was totally incompetent that day.

Last edited:
If Reid wasn't injured he would've done fine on Hawkins in the first place and Malthouse wouldn't have had to make the move.

My guess is that pre-game there was a discussion between the coaches as to who took Hawkins and Pod and Malthouse was adamant Reid was the better fit for Hawkins. He was then too stubborn to make the move because he would have seen it as a sign that he had changed his mind.

Considering that Pod came second that year in contested marking albeit far behind Cloke and he was Geelong's leading goal kicker Tarrant the better shut down defender was better suited to him. Once Pod got injured the move should have been made but with a fully fit Reid we would have still one the premiership without the move.

But I agree it was a poor coaching display from Malthouse.

If Reid wasn't injured he would've done fine on Hawkins in the first place and Malthouse wouldn't have had to make the move.

Considering that Pod came second that year in contested marking albeit far behind Cloke and he was Geelong's leading goal kicker Tarrant the better shut down defender was better suited to him. Once Pod got injured the move should have been made but with a fully fit Reid we would have still one the premiership without the move.

But I agree it was a poor coaching display from Malthouse.

Tarrant was the better fit for Pod at the start I agree but Geelong didn't get hold of us until after he went off, when there was no longer a choice to make. Mick just didn't do anything.

We simply weren't agreessive enough in trade week. We knew what Reid was offering, trade value teams would've been falling over to get him. Could've packaged Reid and Beams to grab Aish in that pick 5 greenwood deal.

If we had have added Reid into the Beams trade to get a kid who's played one year thrown in it would have gone down as the worst trade in the history of the game. It would have been worse than the Tom Boyd trade and that's saying something.

McCaffer ACL
Scharenberg ACL
Reid Calf.

And 2015 hasn't even started. Wait untill we get in to the middle of the season. It's going to be the same s**t again.
You're an absolute flog. I actually hate you (that real life internet hate). Who gives a s**t about the ACL's that happened during the season? Nothing we could have done about them to make them disappear by this stage of the year. The only reason you bringing them up gives me the shits is because you are using them to paint the club in bad light. Everything you say about the club is a F****** troll, you always, ALWAYS! have ulterior motives.

Just F**k Off already!

That's a Bullshit and stupid thing to say. You don't know that so why say it like it's fact? For all we know a fully fit Reid could have had an even bigger stinker. It's like saying if the 2010 gf went for another 5 minutes the saints would have won. Nobody knows that stuff, it's all speculation. Nobody knows the future or the outcomes of alternate realities so what's done is done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back