Best 22 for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Clippers
Very early on, I know. But with Frawley 95% likely coming to us next season, I thought we may as well have a rolling best 22 until the season starts. So with FA starting tomorrow and Frawley coming, this is what my lineup looks like.

B: Gibson - Lake - Stratton
HB: Birchall - Frawley - Hodge
C: Smith - Mitchell - Hill
HF: Rioli - Gunston - Burgoyne
F: Breust - Roughead - McEvoy
R: Ceglar - Lewis - Langford
INT: Suckling, Shiels, Puopolo, Woodward/Hallahan
  • Spangher very stiff, but if Frawley comes in, I don't think it's possible to add another big body to the team. Also feel that Schoenmakers may be traded for a pick.
  • Hale performed very well in the finals, but I think his time is coming and will find it hard to compete with younger Ceglar and McEvoy. Could possibly even retire in the coming weeks.
  • Lake will likely be offered a new contract in my opinion so he fits the team.
  • Woody and Hallahan to be fighting out for the last place in the team all season.
  • Litherland, Anderson, Duryea and Simpkin will be pressing for selection all season. I think Anderson has the ability to be a permanent if he is given a chance.

Last edited:
Very early on, I know. But with Frawley 95% likely coming to us next season, I thought we may as well have a rolling best 22 until the season starts. So with FA starting tomorrow and Frawley coming, this is what my lineup looks like.

HB: Birchall - Frawley - Hodge
HF: Rioli - Gunston - Burgoyne
F: Breust - Roughead - McEvoy
R: Ceglar - Lewis - Langford
INT: Suckling, Duryea, Puopolo, Woodward/Hallahan
  • Spangher very stiff, but if Frawley comes in, I don't think it's possible to add another big body to the team. Also feel that Schoenmakers may be traded for a pick.
  • Hale performed very well in the finals, but I think his time is coming and will find it hard to compete with younger Ceglar and McEvoy. Could possibly even retire in the coming weeks.
  • Lake will likely be offered a new contract in my opinion so he fits the team.
  • Woody and Hallahan to be fighting out for the last place in the team all season.
  • Litherland, Anderson and Simpkin will be pressing for selection all season. I think Anderson has the ability to be a permanent if he is given a chance.
No Shiels.

Do we trade him? He's my Mitchell replacement but we could get something very good for him

Like it but it does highlight the big challenge for Hawthorn will be convincing our fringe players to stick around as there isn't a lot of movement there.
There is no doubt some will be playing. We won't be injury free all season, that'd be absurd if we did. It is an opportunity for players to cement themselves, like Spangher did when we faced injuries all year.

B: Duryea Gibson Birchall
HB: Hodge Lake Frawley
M: Smith Mitchell Hill
HF: Breust Gunston Burgoyne
FF: Puopolo Roughead Rioli
R: Ceglar Lewis Langford
I: Stratton Suckling McEvoy Spangher

Like it but it does highlight the big challenge for Hawthorn will be convincing our fringe players to stick around as there isn't a lot of movement there.
Thats why we might need to offload a few decent fringe stars now and go up the draft order.

If we can offload 4 and get 2 future gun stars, it may be worth it

381780-jed-anderson.jpg

Early days

FB: Stratton - Lake - Gibson
HB: Burgoyne - Frawley - Birchall
HF: Rioli - Roughead - Breust
FF: Sicily - Gunston - Ceglar
R: McEvoy - Lewis - Shiels
IC: Langford - Hodge - Duryea - (Anderson)

EMG: Suckling - Woodward - Litherland

My team is very similar to yours... and what a team it is:

B: Josh Gibson, Brian Lake, Ben Stratton
HB: Grant Birchall, James Frawley, Sam Mitchell
C: Isaac Smith, Will Langford, Bradley Hill
HF: Cyril Rioli, Jack Gunston, Luke Hodge
F: Luke Breust, Jarryd Roughead, Paul Puopolo
R:
Jon Ceglar, Jordan Lewis, Shaun Burgoyne
INT: Jed Anderson, Liam Shiels, Ben McEvoy, Alex Woodward
  • Frawley to hold down the position for most of the year (replaces Spangher in the team).
  • Schoenmakers to stay as a required player. Will rotate with Lake playing FB in what will be Lake's final year.
  • Litherland, Suckling, Duryea, Hallahan and Simpkin pushing hard all season. Expecting cameos from all of them.

B Gibson Lake Stratton
HB Burgoyne Frawley Birchall
C Hill Hodge Smith
HF Breust Roughead Rioli
F Ceglar Gunston Puopolo
R McEvoy Lewis Mitchell
INT Shiels Langford Duryea
Anderson

IN: Anderson Frawley Ceglar
OUT: Suckling Spangher Hale

Suckling
Whitecross
Woodward
Hallahan

All fighting for spots

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anderson, Whitecross, Duryea and Litherland all waiting in the wings. 3-peat is a sure thing.. ;)

IN: Frawley, Whitecross
OUT: Spangher, Suckling

B: Stratton, Lake, Gibson

HB: Birchall, Frawley, Hodge

C: Hill, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Burgoyne, Gunston, Breust

F: Puopolo, Roughead, Rioli

R: McEvoy, Lewis, Langford

INT: Shiels, Duryea, Hale, Whitecross

Depth: Suckling, Sewell, Cheney, Ceglar, O'Brien, Schoenmakers, Spangher, Litherland, Anderson, Hallahan, Woodward, Hartung

FB: Stratton - Lake - Gibson

MID: McEvoy - Lewis - Mitchell
MID: Smith - Langford - Hill

HF: Breust - Gunston - Whitecross
FF: Anderson - Roughead - Rioli

INT: Ceglar,Hodge, Shiels, O’Rourke

----------------------------------------

I might be going a bit early with O'Rourke, but when Emma Quayle mentions it, you have too take some notice.
From all reports, list management have been looking for a young midfielder they believe can step into the side and make an impact, so it makes some sense. Great chance to make him and Anderson play 15 games with Mitchell, Hodge and Burgoyne running around.

I'm expecting a LOT of rotations this year, so I expect Lake, Gibson, Mitchell, Burgoyne and Hodge to only play 15-20 games each, meaning players like Woodward, Hartung, Suckling, Duryea, Litherland and Spangher too get plenty of game time.

IN: Frawley, Whitecross, Anderson, O'Rourke, Ceglar

OUT: Spangher, Puopolo, Suckling, Duryea, Hale.

I just wrote out a whole side and had left out about five that I have confidence in and another five or so at least that are good contributors. What a fantastic list we've built. This task is too hard for me.

That said... I still think we're one gun forward and a superstar mid shy of sustained dominance, as opposed to sustained competitiveness.

C: Hill - Hodge - Smith
HF: Bruest - Gunston - Lewis
F: Rioli - Roughead - Anderson

R: Ceglar - Mitchell - Sheils

IC: McEvoy - Langford - Puopolo - Duryea

E: Suckling - Spangher - Woodward

Hartung, Litherland, Sicily and others will be keeping all of them honest, very hard team to get into if everyone is playing to the best of their ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back