Best forward 6 of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Young.
It wasn't a criticism, just wasn't sure if you were being facetious or not.

ps I'm old

Old is good, better than those who haven't seen certain players play.

How good would be if we had footage of Bunton? But we can only go by recounts, and based on the oral evidence he could be argued to be the greatest of all time, at least he was in his era, according to those who watched him. Based on what I've read, Haydn Bunton Sr was very similar to Ablett Jnr

Old is good, better than those who haven't seen certain players play.

How good would be if we had footage of Bunton? But we can only go by recounts, and based on the oral evidence he could be argued to be the greatest of all time, at least he was in his era, according to those who watched him. Based on what I've read, Haydn Bunton Sr was very similar to Ablett Jnr
Agreed.
And John Coleman

The Hawthorn forwards are absurd (cannot really include Ablett imo but you don't need him). Four can make legitimate claims to be in an all time AFL team and whoever you pick in the last two will be Hall of Fame level or close to it.

Probably a better debate is who is second - Geelong? Richmond? Essendon? Any other teams in contention?

Hawthorn v richmond or possibly carlton

Yes I know it's based on the one about the best back 6 of all time and Hawthorn probably win this one, but since it's season over for 12 teams may as well...

The Eagles one is probably fairly weak but quite competitive.

Darling Kennedy Embley
Ph Matera Sumich LeCras

Post yours - or not.

Brett Heady every day over Andrew Embley on a half forward flank.

Anyone who remembers Heady would agree. Genuine match winning forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong's 'd be up there I reckon. Not Hawks level, but probably Top 3-5.

HF: S. Johnson, Ablett Snr., Ablett Jnr.
F: D. Wade, T. Hawkins, P. Chapman

Doug Wade (1057 goals)
Ablett Snr. (1031 goals)
Hawkins (781 goals - current)
Steve Johnson (516 goals)
Ablett Jnr. (445 goals)
Paul Chapman (388 goals)

Combined 4000+ goals there. Ablett Jnr. slightly controversial, but he was a goal kicking forward for 7 years before he became a mid, so would be criminal to have guys like Brownless or Jez Cameron who has only been with us for 3 years, ahead of him.

Love the balance of that forward line too, and salivate at the the thought of those champs all playing together in a hypothetical universe, haha.
It wouldnt be criminal. Cameron is a better foward. Cameron kicked more goals in his 3 years then ablett jnr did in his 6.

Yeah remember Lindner, on his day could grab the game by the scruff and rip it apart. Cats were spectacular with him and Gary senior in the team.

I’m just trying to remember if he played in 89 or if he’d already left the Cats by then?
Lindner was one of our best in the 89 grand final. But oddly played in defence at the end of the season. Kicked some big bags earlier in the season though.

Lindner was one of our best in the 89 grand final. But oddly played in defence at the end of the season. Kicked some big bags earlier in the season though.
I think Ronnie Burns was 🔥 him and Stevie J as small forwards would be very good to watch.

Geelong's 'd be up there I reckon. Not Hawks level, but probably Top 3-5.

HF: S. Johnson, Ablett Snr., Ablett Jnr.
F: D. Wade, T. Hawkins, P. Chapman

Doug Wade (1057 goals)
Ablett Snr. (1031 goals)
Hawkins (781 goals - current)
Steve Johnson (516 goals)
Ablett Jnr. (445 goals)
Paul Chapman (388 goals)

Combined 4000+ goals there. Ablett Jnr. slightly controversial, but he was a goal kicking forward for 7 years before he became a mid, so would be criminal to have guys like Brownless or Jez Cameron who has only been with us for 3 years, ahead of him.

Love the balance of that forward line too, and salivate at the the thought of those champs all playing together in a hypothetical universe, haha.
Anthony William Brownless a bit stiff.

Last edited:
I'm 43, does that make me young or old? Did he ever win a Coleman medal? I'm sure I can google any player, but that doesn't mean I should know every single player, or that anybody else does.

I’m 39, hadnt set foot in Victoria until I was 30 and have lived my entire life in or near the geographical centre of rugby league heartland in NSW and I know who he is.

He was very good but with 3 other key forwards who have 2600 goals between them it’s hard to slot him in
Brownless is a tough one to rate. he was probably more talented then hawkins. brownless big finals performances speak for themselves. But doesnt have the runs on the board that hawkins did.

Brownless is a tough one to rate. he was probably more talented then hawkins. brownless big finals performances speak for themselves. But doesnt have the runs on the board that hawkins did.
Hawkins was very close to a Norm Smith and played a big part in getting us going last year as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back