FTA-TV Boardwalk Empire

Remove this Banner Ad

From just a technical/artistry standpoint, that was perfect. Fitting, beautiful. A real work of craftsmanship.

I really did love the flashbacks here, but even in the finale of Nucky's story he's get overshadowed (the most compelling moment) by one of the supporting characters (Capone).

And I can't say I bought into Tommy killing Nucky. I get that it makes sense poetically, and I know he wasn't a baby when Gillian was telling him stories of Nucky, but even if all that stuck with him, I can't imagine Julia would have ever let him stray down this path, for a revenge kill. Maybe it's got something to do with how I invested I was in the Richard/Julia/Tommy storyline, and to see him kill him felt a bit flat.

Still, a great series, with some amazing characters, that got better as it went on. Can't say the same for a lot of other shows, even the top tier ones.

And I can't say I bought into Tommy killing Nucky. I get that it makes sense poetically, and I know he wasn't a baby when Gillian was telling him stories of Nucky, but even if all that stuck with him, I can't imagine Julia would have ever let him stray down this path, for a revenge kill. Maybe it's got something to do with how I invested I was in the Richard/Julia/Tommy storyline, and to see him kill him felt a bit flat

I got the feeling that he was telling the truth when he said he didn't have a home, had probably been away from Julia for a long time for whatever reasons.

Still, a great series, with some amazing characters, that got better as it went on. Can't say the same for a lot of other shows, even the top tier ones.

Probably the best ensemble cast I've ever seen, The Wire included. So many great characters, even most of the peripheral characters were amazing - some of them I liked just as much or more than the stars, notable highlights for me;

- Joe Masseria (could watch him play bocce and threaten people in an Italian dialect, without actually verbalising the threat, all day)
- Dunn Purnsley (his first scenes, with Chalky in the jail cell, are still some of my favorites in the entire series)
- Manny Horvitz
- Gaston Means
- Remus

I got the feeling that he was telling the truth when he said he didn't have a home, had probably been away from Julia for a long time for whatever reasons.

Yeah Winter has said that Tommy grew apart from Julia and Harrow's sister pretty quickly and never considered it a home.

I don't think he was there for vengeance, I think he just had some curiosity about his real family and he went to Nucky because that's what his grandma and father had done in the past. He says that Gillian talked about him a lot so I honestly think he wanted to form his own opinion of the man and didn't set out to kill him, especially considering the golden opportunities he had to do so. I think killing him was entirely his own decision, he has no family because of Nucky and I think when Nucky tried to throw money at him again rather than actually do anything to help him it just tipped him over the edge.

He's dead. Notice that the bullet wound was below his eye, same as where Nucky shot Jimmy.

And I was just reading about something entirely different about the show and stumbled over the fact that the first person Richard Harrow kills in the show is Jimmy's nemesis (the one that cut the face of a prostitute he was in love with), who he shoots under his right eye. I wonder if there is any significance?

And I was just reading about something entirely different about the show and stumbled over the fact that the first person Richard Harrow kills in the show is Jimmy's nemesis (the one that cut the face of a prostitute he was in love with), who he shoots under his right eye. I wonder if there is any significance?

The Moe Green special in the Godfather was a bullet through the eye.

This was based on the death of Bugsy Siegel, though in reality Bugsy was shot under the eye, but the pressure forced his left eye to explode and remove itself from his head, giving the public the false impression that he was shot in the eye.

If my theory that they are going to do a spinoff based around Luciano, Lansky and Siegel (why three unknown actors? And they're in every single season? hmmm)... perhaps this time they're going to do Bugsy's death right? As in, right under the eye?

Might become a recurring thing across the two shows.

Just finished with this for the first time & loved the time, place, people, the lot. The casting alone was a standout. Those last few episodes were gut wrenching & while she had her faults (o_O), poor ol' Gillian, the introduction of her as child was oh so sad. Definitely a series I am going to enjoy again not too soon.

Finally got around to watching the final season. It was not genuinely bad by any stretch - at its worst Boardwalk Empire was better than 80% of everything else on TV - but I did not like the heavy use of flashbacks. With only 8 episodes I would've preferred it was all about the characters (so many!) in 1931 and how their stories ended.

Best period drama series ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does this show stack up all these years later? I think you had to be a fan and right in it at the time. It was a slow burn at times which frustrated it. Some great characters.

Haven't re-watched yet but I'd still have it top 5. Was definitely slow burn but the characters, the dialogue, the sets, the cinematography.. all usually pretty amazing, was like a painting at times, can still remember some frames like it was yesterday

screen-shot-2013-10-07-at-2-01-52-pm.png

Unreal show. Will forever remain one of my favourites ever. The cinematography, cast and music were all just so amazing. Used to be so obsessed with this show. The last part of the show when Nucky goes to Cuba heaps or whatever are a bit eh but the first 3 seasons especially were so good.

I liked how they got you hating certain characters like Gyp Rosetti and Charlie Luciano (and his arsehole offsider Seigel)... and loving others... Michael Shannon brilliant as Val Alden, Chalky White and Richard Harrow. Brilliantly cast

Loved the nervous laugh float across the tense scenes too... can't remember the actor or character off the top of my head

ETA: Paul Sparks as Micky Doyle

Last edited:
Richard Harrow. What a character. Such a sad demise.
He's in the latest season of Fargo and the way I initially recognised him was the way he grunted (if that makes sense). Anyways, he's a shady character in Fargo, but I felt that he had some redemptive qualities until my wife pointed out that I was probably just projecting some of Richard Harrow's qualities onto this new character. His story arc was hands-down the best on BE.

He's in the latest season of Fargo and the way I initially recognised him was the way he grunted (if that makes sense). Anyways, he's a shady character in Fargo, but I felt that he had some redemptive qualities until my wife pointed out that I was probably just projecting some of Richard Harrow's qualities onto this new character. His story arc was hands-down the best on BE.
Watched the first two of Fargo...did it get better? I really struggled to get into it sadly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back