FTA-TV Boardwalk Empire

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that was something. Key characters done and dusted with contrasting emotions and style. Then you have the flashbacks binding the whole thing together. Last week I wasn't overly impressed with the season now i've done a 180 and want more. Excellent episode.

Amazing ep. The ending was superb; Chalky's execution having the song cut off with the gun shots and then the sound of the record needle playing nothing on rotation. Epic television.
I'm going to be mighty disappointed when this show ends in 2 weeks. One of the best TV series ever, up with The Sopranos, and possibly surpassing Breaking Bad.

Theory out there that the kid who found Nucky and brought him back to the hotel (Joel?) is Jimmy's son Tommy. Gillian has been writing letters to "Joel" from the mental home, telling him how much of a prick Nucky is (for what he did to Gillian and for killing Jimmy) and that Nucky should die, with Joel killing him.

AlarmedSpeedyHyrax.gif

Theory out there that the kid who found Nucky and brought him back to the hotel (Joel?) is Jimmy's son Tommy. Gillian has been writing letters to "Joel" from the mental home, telling him how much of a prick Nucky is (for what he did to Gillian and for killing Jimmy) and that Nucky should die, with Joel killing him.

I was initially pretty dismissive of that theory when I first heard it but I think it's starting to make a lot more sense after this weeks episode. I thought Gillian's arc was only still running because she's significant to Nucky's flashbacks, but this makes a lot more sense.

I'm still not sold on the theory but I think the fact that both he and Gillian are using/used pseudonyms sourced from literature makes a clear connection, plus I think the way he reacted to Nucky's "You think I don't know who you are?" call made it look like he's definitely hiding something.

I'm not totally sold on the theory myself, because he's already had a few occasions to take Nucky out (when he found Nucky drunk in the alley, when they were alone in his room and he gave him the cash) yet he didn't act on it.
Plus in real life, the real Nucky doesn't die for years, although Winter did say that the Nucky character wouldn't be completely true to the real life figure.
So who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good theory which I also thought about but figured the kid was too old.

I did tell my missus when he was in the room with Nucky that he has Jimmy's lips. Very similar. I like it.

Last edited:
Chalky! :( Went out like a boss though.. 'alright then'. Agree with Rod about the ending and the vinyl static over the credits, masterful.

Shame we didn't get to see one more trademark Van Alden meltdown.. he kinda did I guess, but I was hoping for something more on par with the face-ironing shennanigans of season 3. Glad Eli seems to have made it out alive. Nice take on how the feds get hold of Capone's books.

Flashbacks are getting better and better, I might even do a 180 on the Gillian stuff if they can pull it off. Really creepy seeing the Commodore talking to that young girl and (I assume) her mother looking distraught. Even more disturbing that Nucky sees all this at the same time he's pissed off about not getting enough props from the Commodore, then he meets Gillian at the end of the episode.. gonna be ugly. Pretty ballsy decision to end the show like this when you think about it. I mean yeah it's well known that Nucky kinda 'gave' Gillian to the Commodore but I think once we actually see that play out the audience is going to be left with a different lasting view on his character than they would otherwise.

Chalky! :( Went out like a boss though.. 'alright then'. Agree with Rod about the ending and the vinyl static over the credits, masterful.

Shame we didn't get to see one more trademark Van Alden meltdown.. he kinda did I guess, but I was hoping for something more on par with the face-ironing shennanigans of season 3. Glad Eli seems to have made it out alive. Nice take on how the feds get hold of Capone's books.

Flashbacks are getting better and better, I might even do a 180 on the Gillian stuff if they can pull it off. Really creepy seeing the Commodore talking to that young girl and (I assume) her mother looking distraught. Even more disturbing that Nucky sees all this at the same time he's pissed off about not getting enough props from the Commodore, then he meets Gillian at the end of the episode.. gonna be ugly. Pretty ballsy decision to end the show like this when you think about it. I mean yeah it's well known that Nucky kinda 'gave' Gillian to the Commodore but I think once we actually see that play out the audience is going to be left with a different lasting view on his character than they would otherwise.

I think it's Nucky's biggest regret and we'll see the remorse from him from when he does it but the change when he gets all the props from the Commodore.

I'm only up to date with the end of S3. But really adore the backdrop developed by the show. I did feel that S2 and early S3 started to hit a dark and brutal rut, but Buscemi had a really fantastic S3 imo, his last few episodes especially were excellent work. I loved how he never seemed to get any sleep and was always in the wars that season. The Gyp character ultimately was a bit of a letdown for me though, similar to one of the diversionary season antagonists in The Sopranos. Gaston Means on the other hand was such a fun addition.

Since the show began, Lansky and Gillian have been my favourite characters, although that bath moment with Gillian and Jimmy 2.0 was finally one step too far for me with her. Also love Kessler, so was good to see him get some notice late in the season, after being further in the background for a majority of the season.

Van Alden was the big surprise of S3 for me. After being somewhat of a one-note and somewhat isolated character in the earlier seasons, increasingly struggling between ideals and the pressures of reality, his S3 arc really promises great things. Intrigued to see where the character is taken from here, he could ultimately be the underdog character of the entire show's run.

On Harrow, I loved him initially but he has seemed like a character that has stuck around too long. Has a great moment every few eps, and a fantastic character, but probably needs to be written out at some point. He was always best used in small doses, but not really a type to stick around for more than 2 seasons, particularly post Jimmy.

Given I am over a season behind, I imagine a lot of the above is severely under informed, but just wanted to get it out.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back