News Bob Murphy named Next WB Captain

Who would you prefer to be the next WB Captain?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not a big fan of dual-captaincy, but right now we don't need a single figurehead leader. The time for that will be when the kids are rising up in a couple of years and we're finals contenders again. Right now we just need to steady the ship, and I think hedging our bets on Murphy and Morris is a good way to do that, just as an intermediary solution.

You don't have to be the best player to be captain. Just respected by all and able to communicate

See rule 3.7 Tom Harley, Nick Maxwell
Yes.. But what if this good communicator isn't good enough to make the grade?

None of this mess would have happened if Murf was our captain instead of Griff!

It can only be Murphy or Morris, but Murph is the clear stand out in my eyes...

We need his leadership and his face appearing consistently in the media for the fans...

I don't know why, but the idea of Roughy as captain appeals to me.

Not sure what he's like as an on-field leader, but there's something about him.

None of the other old guys seem like captains and the young guys who have the leadership skills don't seem to have stepped up on the field.
I'd go back to M. Boyd for a year, always a solid captain, and tell the kids to step up and take the captaincy if they want it and give it to the guy who shows the most leadership in the year and has shown they are willing to earn it.
Could do the same with Murph since he'll play more this year but I don't think he would enjoy the role.

Dale Morris for me. Strong, dependable, leader on the field.

As much as I like Murph as a player, I don't want him as captain - too odd a person for me!

Murph and Morris as co-captains. Their loyalty deserves to be rewarded and are the best 2 blokes to steer the ship in the right direction for the next season or 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I picked Tom Liberatore but that's not the major point

I think it should be a player from the next generation

I loathe dual and triple captaincies, it's indecisive and most clubs have Captain, Vice Captains and Deputy Vice Captains so I can't see the point in having more than one in the top job.

We got a player that should have alerted the club earlier that he didn't want it last time .. A Black Sheep, Bad Banana, Rotten Apple, Crook McFeast ....

But we shouldn't let a rogue captain halt what has previously served the club well and become overly risk averse

I loathe dual and triple captaincies, it's indecisive and most clubs have Captain, Vice Captains and Deputy Vice Captains so I can't see the point in having more than one in the top job.

Speaking of, at some former clubs I've played at we've had a club captain then 3 positional vice-captains, not dissimilar to having positional coaches.

So if we went with that, it'd look something like this;

CAPTAIN: Murphy
Backline vice: Roughead
Midfield vice: Macrae/Liberatore (or possibly even Stevens)
Forward vice: Stringer

Don't know about you lot but that looks pretty good on paper to me.

Speaking of, at some former clubs I've played at we've had a club captain then 3 positional vice-captains, not dissimilar to having positional coaches.

So if we went with that, it'd look something like this;

CAPTAIN: Murphy
Backline vice: Roughead
Midfield vice: Macrae/Liberatore (or possibly even Stevens)
Forward vice: Stringer

Don't know about you lot but that looks pretty good on paper to me.

Pretty close to my preferences. I'd though Go Murphy C, Morris & Libba VC's. I however think the likes of Stevens & Stringer are future options but Hrovat and Wallis I think will be miles ahead of the rest of the pack in a couple of years. Wallis super impressed me at his 1st East meets West day. He spoke well above his years and after chatting to him told my son he would one day be a captain of the club.

Has to be Murph for his last couple years just so we dont have a 2nd - 3rd year captain ( e.g Jack Trengrove ) so when most of our players have played 75-100 games somebody like Stringer, Boyd, Bonts, Roughy will step in.

Ummmm not to put a pickle in the discussion but how can Roughy be a realistic option when no one has any idea where he will end up playing under a new coach and he may not even be best 22

He ain't a fb
He ain't a chb
He ain't a ruckman
He ain't a chf
He ain't a ff

What is he long term? A 2nd option somewhere ?

So how in earth can he be captain guys?

Because at this stage, given our dearth of mobile KPPs, he is clearly in our best 22, and he's the outstanding candidate for the captaincy among the young players at this stage (someone like Wallis, Bontempelli, Stringer, Hrovat etc could emerge, but not now).

I think it'll go to Murphy or Morris (and rightfully so), but I'd have no issue with Roughie being appointed as captain.

As for not knowing where he'll play, that could apply to a few players. The new coach could decide that Bontempelli and Honeychurch belong in the backline, that Roberts belongs in the forward line, that Grant belongs on a wing, and so forth. Roughie will be an automatic selection in 2015, provided he's fit, whether that's up forward, down back or in the ruck.

Who would you prefer as captain, MD, and why?

Murphy. He embodies everything good about our club - and has a public persona outside of football via his articles. In short, he's everything Griff wasn't :)

Because at this stage, given our dearth of mobile KPPs, he is clearly in our best 22, and he's the outstanding candidate for the captaincy among the young players at this stage (someone like Wallis, Bontempelli, Stringer, Hrovat etc could emerge, but not now).

I think it'll go to Murphy or Morris (and rightfully so), but I'd have no issue with Roughie being appointed as captain.

As for not knowing where he'll play, that could apply to a few players. The new coach could decide that Bontempelli and Honeychurch belong in the backline, that Roberts belongs in the forward line, that Grant belongs on a wing, and so forth. Roughie will be an automatic selection in 2015, provided he's fit, whether that's up forward, down back or in the ruck.

Who would you prefer as captain, MD, and why?

If I hear one more bloke say Hrovat will captain out club I may scream

He isn't even best 22 yet so please stop saying it coz it hurts my brain it's stupid

Now I have no issue with Rough being captain WHEN he is clearly best 22. What I'm saying is that a new coach may not have him as best 22 because he is yet to prove he can really play well in a position.

I think Murphy is the obvious short term solution but past that a player will have to tabs up and take the role.

Personally I'd like Libba but I'm not sure he would want it

Back