POTY Bob Skilton Medal 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
The event isn't for a few weeks, but post all predictions, thoughts, opinions.

Won't tip the other awards yet because I cbf, but at this stage, I'd be picking the top 10 to be as follows, in order. I don't think this is what it should be, just what it will be imo, based on performance and the number of games missed. Given points are awarded for each game, the more games you miss, the less likely you are to feature in the top 10. It's an award that rewards consistency in performance and in getting on the field.

1. Josh Kennedy
2. Dan Hannebery
3. Dane Rampe
4. Jarrad McVeigh
5. Kieren Jack
6. Kurt Tippett
7. Heath Grundy
8. Ted Richards
9. Lewis Jetta
10. Nick Smith

Tom Mitchell and Luke Parker just miss out due to missing the first month of the season and injury respectively. Franklin also missed too many, he would have been top 3 or so when he missed the WCE game I think.

Pretty confident that Rampe will be on the podium this year.

If Rampe is top 3 I'd be very surprised. The first third of his season was very shaky, and while he's been super reliable since then, he's rarely played a dominant game. I suspect he'll comfortably be top 10.

Kennedy and Hanners will be the top 2. Reckon Grundy might make the top 5. It's a bit of a hard one to pick though, as so many players who otherwise had good years were also out of the side for extended periods, while those who played most of the year had significant down periods.

Also, why is Parker not in anybody's top 10 so far? I'd be surprised if he's not in the top 5.

Grundy is a good pick for top five, I didn't pick Parker at this stage because of the missed games and his shaky early season form. He didn't even have that good a year imo. Nowhere near his form last year. But yeh he might well make the top ten, probably will given how much the coaches like him. I just think his year was being overrated a little.

And Rampe hardly played a bad game and played quite a few great ones. I think enough to go very close to podium. Smith often places around sixth because he's a defender and doesn't often play a "dominant game" but Rampe had a few of those this year. Games where he could poll well into the forties.

The question should be.... will Jetta show up to the night???
He didnt show up for about 18 of our games so why would he I suppose.

He will hang at the back, spill a few drinks, make a mess in the toilet then go home early

Hard to tell who the coaches will give votes to. How highly they rate the defensive performances vs midfield and forward and whether or not players get favoured (or not favoured if your last name is Mitchell).

My top 10 for the whole year is:
1. Kennedy
2. Hanners
3. Mitchell
4. Grundy
5. Laidler
6. Rampe
7. Jack
8. McVeigh
9. Franklin
10. Parker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Kennedy - Top 2 is a lock, Kennedy's 'quieter' games are still pretty good, likely getting him over the line (absolutely should've been AA).

2. Hannebery - The other Top 2 lock, though his quieter games mightn't bring as many votes as JK's, which may be the difference.

3. McVeigh - Maybe shouldn't be quite this high but he and KJ poll very well. Be a fair gap from the Top 2 to the 3rd placed player I would've thought.

4. K. Jack - Same as McVeigh.

5. Grundy - Surely the pick of the Defenders this year?

6. Tippett - Start slowly, but will still get ok votes - should be getting some very high scores late to storm home.

7. Rampe - His good games may bring more votes than someone like Laidler (who is consistent but probably won't get many 35+'s).

8. Parker - Will get a lot of votes, did miss 5 games which will see him slip...but not far enough to miss a top 10 finish.

9. Mitchell - Could be anywhere from 4th to missing out on the 10, what sorts of votes will he get from the coaches? They seem to mark him harshly and did miss 5 games and start as sub once, while being subbed in another.

10. Laidler - Good solid year should poll steadily, while not spectacularly, to maybe scrape into the lower portion of the top 10.

Hard to place:
Jetta - some good games where he'll score very well, but inconsistent, so those games may be out weighed by his average games which won't score at all.
Franklin - Will poll quite well early but not as well as last year and probably missed too many games.
Smith & Ted - weren't as good as in previous years, both had a terrible patch mid year, but do get a lot of the big match-ups which could weigh into consideration.

1. Kennedy - Top 2 is a lock, Kennedy's 'quieter' games are still pretty good, likely getting him over the line (absolutely should've been AA).

2. Hannebery - The other Top 2 lock, though his quieter games mightn't bring as many votes as JK's, which may be the difference.

3. McVeigh - Maybe shouldn't be quite this high but he and KJ poll very well. Be a fair gap from the Top 2 to the 3rd placed player I would've thought.

4. K. Jack - Same as McVeigh.

5. Grundy - Surely the pick of the Defenders this year?

6. Tippett - Start slowly, but will still get ok votes - should be getting some very high scores late to storm home.

7. Rampe - His good games may bring more votes than someone like Laidler (who is consistent but probably won't get many 35+'s).

8. Parker - Will get a lot of votes, did miss 5 games which will see him slip...but not far enough to miss a top 10 finish.

9. Mitchell - Could be anywhere from 4th to missing out on the 10, what sorts of votes will he get from the coaches? They seem to mark him harshly and did miss 5 games and start as sub once, while being subbed in another.

10. Laidler - Good solid year should poll steadily, while not spectacularly, to maybe scrape into the lower portion of the top 10.

Hard to place:
Jetta - some good games where he'll score very well, but inconsistent, so those games may be out weighed by his average games which won't score at all.
Franklin - Will poll quite well early but not as well as last year and probably missed too many games.
Smith & Ted - weren't as good as in previous years, both had a terrible patch mid year, but do get a lot of the big match-ups which could weigh into consideration.

This is pretty much exactly how I have it, I think Sam Reid should finish top 10 though.

Kennedy was a beast this year. My tip.
Hannas very close to him.

But I think Tippo is a real smokey. So important to us this year. Might get votes just for holding the structure together.

Bump...

The Bob Skilton Medal WILL be live streamed this year, according to this email from the club.

sydneyswans.com.au will provide a live stream of Friday night's Club Champion Dinner being held at The Star Events Centre from 7pm AEST.

The event will include the crowning of the Bob Skilton Medallist along with a number of other key awards including the Rising Star, Best Clubman and Most Improved.

Veterans Rhyce Shaw and Adam Goodes will address those in attendance for the final time as Swans players after announcing their retirement this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back