Bottoms Up

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a rare moment of clarity at the game on Saturday. It was halfway through the 3rd quarter about the time GWS were inserting the second fist and the crowd number popped up on the screen. My two sons were sitting with me, the elder of the 2 was on Instagram telling me how many of his friends were laughing at him for a) barracking for Carlton and b) being at the game. So there I was sitting at a game where we were being humbled by a minnow in front of 16,000 odd people. By Christ how times have changed.

Being 43 I can divide my football life into 2 parts, the 20 years we were successful and the 20 years we have been a basket case. It struck me just how much this once proud club had fallen and dare I say it how irrelevant we have now become. Many laughed at St Kilda back when I was a lad at school but now that same laughter is directed at my son at school for the team he follows. It is a cold dark place where we are right now and it is hard to say how long it is going to take to fight back. We have lost a generation of supporters and from a membership perspective will continue to lag behind.
I am going to be in same predicament, my 5yo son sat down with me to watch the GWS game and sadly said to me "Dad, why can't the blues win any games" or "Dad, the Giants have kicked another goal". The good news is he still wanted to keep watching the blues play even when I wanted to turn it over and watch bbq pit masters or storage wars.

His little mates at school and auskick all follow the dockers and eagles and with them sitting 1 & 2 on the ladder it's going to be hard work in the coming years keeping him following the blues.

We are heading to the US in July and stopping off in melbourne on the way so I can take him to his first blues game which is against Hawthorn which is going to be a ugly night for us.

I am going to be in same predicament, my 5yo son sat down with me to watch the GWS game and sadly said to me "Dad, why can't the blues win any games" or "Dad, the Giants have kicked another goal". The good news is he still wanted to keep watching the blues play even when I wanted to turn it over and watch bbq pit masters or storage wars.

His little mates at school and auskick all follow the dockers and eagles and with them sitting 1 & 2 on the ladder it's going to be hard work in the coming years keeping him following the blues.

We are heading to the US in July and stopping off in melbourne on the way so I can take him to his first blues game which is against Hawthorn which is going to be a ugly night for us.
I really hope they win for you. :)

Stay golden, Pony-boy!

It's this time of night that I've caught up on the days posts and just think to myself... *!

Why Carlton, why?!?!

I look at our three number 1 draft picks and then I compare them to the other elite players in the comp who were take at higher picks, and then I wonder why they have performed way better than our picks.
Dont under estimate how poor the players selected in the same drafts that our number 1 picks have been, and also the players we traded away at around the same time or had to move on because of poor discipline etc.

Really unbalanced our side, exposed us for depth of talent and left significant holes on field.

These number 1 picks could of developed a heap more if they had some extra talent around them sharing the heavy lifting instead of some of the high risk project players we ended up taking after these initial first round selections were made.

The selections made by the club after Murphy/Kennedy in 2005 and then Gibbs in 2006 and some of the selections in 2007 after Kreuzer were (yes in hindsight mind boggling)......

Would love to know how other clubs rated some of our selections in comparison to who was over looked, we may never know.

Just think not only us but all clubs would be reluctant to take a ruckman inside the top 4 or 5 picks again when it seems you can get very serviceable ruckmen well down the order or via the PSD or RD these days and I would hope that our current recruiters would identify talent at a much better ratio after our first selection compared to our previous recruiters.

Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzer may not be the best players from their respective drafts but if we could of added some better talent to the list at the same time as we added them things may be very different at Carlton today.

Would like us to stockpile as much young talent as we can over the next year or 2 and have another crack at getting it right, I reckon we can get it more right now then we ever had with Sos involved, would love to get 4 picks inside the top 35 again this year.

Dont under estimate how poor the players selected in the same drafts that our number 1 picks have been, and also the players we traded away at around the same time or had to move on because of poor discipline etc.

Really unbalanced our side, exposed us for depth of talent and left significant holes on field.

These number 1 picks could of developed a heap more if they had some extra talent around them sharing the heavy lifting instead of some of the high risk project players we ended up taking after these initial first round selections were made.

The selections made by the club after Murphy/Kennedy in 2005 and then Gibbs in 2006 and some of the selections in 2007 after Kreuzer were (yes in hindsight mind boggling)......

Would love to know how other clubs rated some of our selections in comparison to who was over looked, we may never know.

Just think not only us but all clubs would be reluctant to take a ruckman inside the top 4 or 5 picks again when it seems you can get very serviceable ruckmen well down the order or via the PSD or RD these days and I would hope that our current recruiters would identify talent at a much better ratio after our first selection compared to our previous recruiters.

Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzer may not be the best players from their respective drafts but if we could of added some better talent to the list at the same time as we added them things may be very different at Carlton today.

Would like us to stockpile as much young talent as we can over the next year or 2 and have another crack at getting it right, I reckon we can get it more right now then we ever had with Sos involved, would love to get 4 picks inside the top 35 again this year.

There lies the problem. It wasn't necessarily a mistake to take any of three No. 1's ... but the main problem was our inability to select, develop or nurture our 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th picks from the same era. If you look at Geelong, Hawthorn, the Swans and even Collingwood, they made it an art form of taking down the list draft picks and turning them into not only very good players, but in some cases they developed into stars and eventually premiership players.

I believe that this will be SOS's and by extension the club's greatest challenge over the next few years. Usually the very high picks look after themselves, but if we want depth to be a contender again, we have to get all of our picks right, not just a handful of the first rounders.

There lies the problem. It wasn't necessarily a mistake to take any of three No. 1's ... but the main problem was our inability to select, develop or nurture our 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th picks from the same era. If you look at Geelong, Hawthorn, the Swans and even Collingwood, they made it an art form of taking down the list draft picks and turning them into not only very good players, but in some cases they developed into stars and eventually premiership players.

I believe that this will be SOS's and by extension the club's greatest challenge over the next few years. Usually the very high picks look after themselves, but if we want depth to be a contender again, we have to get all of our picks right, not just a handful of the first rounders.
Yep,

2005 Murphy 1, Kennedy 4, followed by Bower at 20 and Edwards at 36....
Only 1 of these players remained on our list a couple years later after we traded Kennedy and the other 2 never worked out.
Rookie draft alone had Toovey, Duffield, Priddis:eek:, Jack... Yes I know easy in hindsight, did the Eagles and Dockers hide Priddis and Duffield away ??

2006 Gibbs 1, Hampson 17, Grigg 19, Austin 35, Benjamin 51, Anderson 67......
When you see the project types selected there compared to what others clubs were able to do makes you wonder what were we looking at !!
Eric MacKenzie 29, Kurt Tippet 32, Todd Goldstein 37, Lindsay Thomas 53, Robbie Gray 55, Tyson Goldsack 63, Justin Westhoff 71.

Port Adelaide smashed this draft- Boak 5, Stewart 23, Krakouer 39, Gray 55, Westhoff 71.

We traded away Kennedy as well as pick 3 & 20 to land Judd/Armfield.

We smashed the PSD draft with Jacobs and Jamison... started to develop both nicely then gave Jacobs away for next to nothing in return after over paying by recruitng Warnock down the track.

In consecutive seasons we had 8 total picks inside the top 36 and the only 2 that were any good and remain on our list today cop more abuse/insult than the other 6 combined !!

Wont even go into 2007 as they have all been done to death in the past and I apologise for re-hashing it but yes in hindsight we have made many errors but think we will give the draft much more serious attention from now on because of the mistakes or carelessness of past seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep your chin up mate , my boy is 12 and he tells all the Eagles supporters at school that they are druggies and the Dockers supporters to come back when they have won a flag it is good character building.

I had a rare moment of clarity at the game on Saturday. It was halfway through the 3rd quarter about the time GWS were inserting the second fist and the crowd number popped up on the screen. My two sons were sitting with me, the elder of the 2 was on Instagram telling me how many of his friends were laughing at him for a) barracking for Carlton and b) being at the game. So there I was sitting at a game where we were being humbled by a minnow in front of 16,000 odd people. By Christ how times have changed.

Being 43 I can divide my football life into 2 parts, the 20 years we were successful and the 20 years we have been a basket case. It struck me just how much this once proud club had fallen and dare I say it how irrelevant we have now become. Many laughed at St Kilda back when I was a lad at school but now that same laughter is directed at my son at school for the team he follows. It is a cold dark place where we are right now and it is hard to say how long it is going to take to fight back. We have lost a generation of supporters and from a membership perspective will continue to lag behind.

We are no longer feared and worse still are actually pitied by some other supporters.

The reality for me was sitting there in that vacant chasm of a ground was the club I grew up with bares no resemblance to the one that shares the same address.
Wow. You've painted a very poignant picture. Putting aside the hatred, this post hit a nerve particularly about your kids. I admire that you're sticking fat by your club. The young generation need to feed off the oldies in knowing that it's just as important to stick & support your side through the rough times as much as it is to celebrate the successes. Better days are ahead. Chin up fellas.

I reckon that would be Carrazzo, his contract expires at the end of this season, Simpson still has another year to run and may want to go around one more time.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d Sun&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial

CARLTON midfielder Andrew Carrazzo has approached the AFL about becoming an umpire.

The Herald Sun can reveal the Blues’ best-and-fairest winner has held talks with the umpiring department about starting a career as a whistle blower in the lower leagues.

Carrazzo, 31, made contact with national umpiring director Wayne Campbell earlier in the year about following in the footsteps of former AFL players Leigh Fisher (St Kilda) and Jordan Bannister (Carlton) and becoming a top-line official.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back