Free Agency Brad Crouch [joins St Kilda as a RFA for pick 23]

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely it's just:
Saints pay Crouch enough for band 1
Crows trade Dunstan for mid-second
Everybody wins, Brad Crouch in particular.
I guess the only real curve ball is how the AFL see the deals together, on their own they're not ridiculous, but the AFL are notoriously inconsistent, and the media are really honing in on this deal for some reason (when you'd think, for instance, they'd be talking about the shenanigans going on in the Cameron deal more).
Fascinating stuff.

I really rate this scenario, and with Gubby in the frame you never know.

Whether or not the AFL like it, I don't think they could do anything about it.

It makes sense because Luke maybe on 500k, you offload that and are willing to pay Brad.

If the Saints do the Crows a favour, something like 50/50 of the benefit would be fair.

So would something like this work as a subsequent trade (disregarding other clubs pushing picks down the order):

The Crows get their compensation upgraded from pick 20 to pick 2 (1605 point increase). Half this benefit is 802 points.

The Saints also send pick 59 and Dunstan to the Crows (giving Dunstan a value around a late 2nd round. 721 points).

Crows send what will be picks 21 and 30 to the Saints (1507 points).

All up, the Crows benefit 819 points, the Saints benefit 786 points. It's not an exact science, but close enough and I think this could be signed off by the AFL as a "fair trade".

Free agency altogether is a joke.... any contracted player gets to choose where they go anyway the way the system works.... So no different between a FA and a normal uncontracted player
Well no, if a player is contracted then the trade is the compensation for breaking that contract. If a player is un contracted or a free agent then they should be able to move because they have no contract tied to a club.

Which other mid are you going after who avg 28+ touches / 6 tackles and a clearance beast?
Oh yah that also comes for free....
Not to mention you have a pick 15 then about a 50.....
Anyone would think we are talking about Gary Ablett junior in his prime the way you Crows supporters are talking.

If he is really as good as you all keep crapping on about then why did your club not offer a suitable length and monetary contract.

At least be honest with yourselves he has become that good because due to your totally incompetent season he can all of a sudden potentially get you pick 2.

Your club does not value him if you did he would have had an acceptable offer on the table from Adelaide in the first place.

Not about Brad Crouch exactly but at what time can paperwork be lodged for free agency today?

Not about Brad Crouch exactly but at what time can paperwork be lodged for free agency today?

For the enjoyment of this thread hopefully 8:31am

Which other mid are you going after who avg 28+ touches / 6 tackles and a clearance beast?
Oh yah that also comes for free....
Not to mention you have a pick 15 then about a 50.....
Dont really need a clearance beast.. just another good mid to help the midfield. Adam Treloar with Pies paying some of his salary is better than Brad on an inflated one. Even a cheaper type like a Lyons or Greenwood (coincidentally both blokes Adelaide didn’t rate) both performing better than Brad.
My point is why overpay on a contract for a bloke who’s B grade and limited (only plays inside) and injured half the time, just to net you guys pick 2 even though you don’t really want to keep him if there’s nothing in it for us? Or trade and lose out on draft picks. Would rather you guys keep him if you match and most people agree. And that’s fine, you keep the clearance beast who won’t be apart of your next tilt and we save money for another player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well no, if a player is contracted then the trade is the compensation for breaking that contract. If a player is un contracted or a free agent then they should be able to move because they have no contract tied to a club.
Very true and with the draft they can go to whoever has the 1st pick

It's called equalisation

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fascinating stuff.

I really rate this scenario, and with Gubby in the frame you never know.

Whether or not the AFL like it, I don't think they could do anything about it.

It makes sense because Luke maybe on 500k, you offload that and are willing to pay Brad.
Luke’s salary dump helps next year, but what then? We’re left to pay an extra $150k per year for 4 years for a bloke we didn’t want to pay that much, just so Adelaide got pick 2. That’s why they’d need to take more of a salary dump for us or offer something like pick 20 for Luke, which ends up being probably 25. Yes Luke isn’t worth that much but we’re taking on a big risk paying overs salary wise for a bloke who isn’t worth it.

if it were a trade scenario for example, how would everyone feel if it was

Out - pick 2, Dunstan
In - Crouch, pick 20

Seems fair and reasonable I’d say.

If we’re upping our offer purely so it’s enough for them to get pick 2 then it’s Dunstan for pick 20, which ends up being about 25/26 after NGA bids. Otherwise they keep Crouch. Honestly not phased, would rather go moneyball picks like Jones again than overpay crouch for 5 years.
I get that, but if you're going to do a side room deal, you don't throw it in the AFL's face. Simple fact is that Dunstan isn't worth pick 20, and isn't worth 29(?) either. Probably worth around 35-40. If we get a pick for Higgins for Dunstan, and Crouch for free, then the 100k extra a year is worth it, I think

Luke’s salary dump helps next year, but what then? We’re left to pay an extra $150k per year for 4 years for a bloke we didn’t want to pay that much, just so Adelaide got pick 2. That’s why they’d need to take more of a salary dump for us or offer something like pick 20 for Luke, which ends up being probably 25. Yes Luke isn’t worth that much but we’re taking on a big risk paying overs salary wise for a bloke who isn’t worth it.

if it were a trade scenario for example, how would everyone feel if it was

Out - pick 2, Dunstan
In - Crouch, pick 20

Seems fair and reasonable I’d say.
Just as a side note, because I'm not sure, but would we only have to offer more money during the first 4 years, and not in the trigger year, for compensation consideration?
So, for instance, if the crows take Dunstan (400k next year), we take a a rookie (100k next year) and pay Crouch extra ( say 150k over 4, so 600k in total), we're out 300k in total salary for the 4 years? I don't think that's the worst result, considering we don't have to part with 15, and because we get the trade capital for Higgins.
That being said, I'd be equally happy to trade 15 for Crouch outright, if it meant we didn't have to pay him 800k, though it does reduce our ability to trade next year, as we'd have to take a first rounder to the draft in 2021

I get that, but if you're going to do a side room deal, you don't throw it in the AFL's face. Simple fact is that Dunstan isn't worth pick 20, and isn't worth 29(?) either. Probably worth around 35-40. If we get a pick for Higgins for Dunstan, and Crouch for free, then the 100k extra a year is worth it, I think
If we’re going down that route (upping our original offer Brad agreed to) It’s obvious for everyone to see it’s a side room deal regardless of whether it’s an early 2nd or late 2nd/early 3rd.

In the end Adelaide aren't in the drivers seat for this one, Crouch is a restricted free agent but they don't want to offer him anything more than 3 years, so any "deals" will be in the Saints favour.

His deal with the Saints would be end of Round 1 compo so I doubt we'd give up Pick 15 just so Adelaide can advance a few spots up the draft order.

In the end, Crouch is not worth any thing like Pick 2 and any "deals" that get that for Adelaide would be so transparently biased that the AFL would say no to them.

We won't screw them but Adelaide know they aren't in pole position so will take end of first round compo.

I tell you what, this media effort against the Crows is RELENTLESS, Barrett and Shame Cornes on fire.

Will be glad to see the back of this trade one way or another after today.

We're somehow in the headlines more the Collingwood or North at the moment.

Just waiting for Brad Crouch to get traded to Saints and for it to be linked to 'The Camp' somehow....

Last edited:

Stop it, you're making far too much sense. Logic is not welcome here

In the end Adelaide aren't in the drivers seat for this one, Crouch is a restricted free agent but they don't want to offer him anything more than 3 years, so any "deals" will be in the Saints favour.

His deal with the Saints would be end of Round 1 compo so I doubt we'd give up Pick 15 just so Adelaide can advance a few spots up the draft order.

In the end, Crouch is not worth any thing like Pick 2 and any "deals" that get that for Adelaide would be so transparently biased that the AFL would say no to them.

We won't screw them but Adelaide know they aren't in pole position so will take end of first round compo.

tenor (1).gif

Happy pick 2 compensation day Brad Crouch thread acolytes

Last edited:
I tell you what, this media effort against the Crows is RELENTLESS, Barrett and Shame Cornes on fire.

Will be glad to see the back of this trade one way or another after today.

We're somehow in the headlines more the Collingwood or North at the moment.

Just waiting for Brad Crouch to get traded to Saints and for it to be linked to 'The Camp' somehow....
Sook it up mate.

Not sure what you're hearing, but the Treloar story has been all over the media, a lot more than Crouch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back