BREAKING: Bulldogs to Ballarat

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That said its ironic that the last time the competition veered towards the free market that North were one of the major beneficiaries of the mid 70's 10 year rule...

And the club that refused to unionise, and the club that privatised itself listed on the sharemarket, and would have been purchased by Carlton had their not been intervention to allow it.

Disagree entirely.

Melbourne and Sydney are growing at unsustainable rates. Roads and transport are already at capacity, and this is only going to get worse.

I think you'll find huge incentives for business to put down roots in places like Adelaide and Hobart in the coming 20-30 years and their rates of growth will far exceed the bigger cities. This is particularly so as technology removes the need for face to face meetings, etc.

It's why I find Norths reliance on Hobart revenue, particularly in light of the Gold Coast bullet they dodged, so staggering.

Make no mistake. There will be a full time team in Hobart in 20 years time.

The population of Tasmania is often projected to decline, and more importantly age. The population of Victoria is growing at 1.9% per annum and adding the equivalent of the population of Tasmania every 5 years. The city of Wyndham (Werribee) alone will soon be larger than Hobart.

You can dream of Hobart reversing the trends, but exponential growth is a biatch. If Hobart (214k) grows at 3% (currently 0.3) per year they add 65k in a decade. If Melbourne (4.5m) grows at only 0.05% (1.9%) it still adds another 206k.

Tasmania are targeting 650k by 2050 and the target is considered ambitious

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/t...d-build-business/story-fnj4f7k1-1226864799834

In contrast by 2050 Melbourne alone could have between 7.5m and 8m

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/m...ing-to-plan-20140125-31fpo.html#ixzz3IQdiFH3g

This is probably not the case. Fencing off a public park is a council decision, which is why venues are typically council owned, particularly the suburban grounds. As far as Im aware only St Kilda ever owned the Freehold on their land.
very true, when you consider, most running tracks & tennis courts etc are fenced off and locked up.

thats interesting with Stkilda, of all of the Victorian club one would've thought they would be the least likely own the rights to Moorabbin.
do you know if the new facility up in Seaford, Linen house as well? as i can't find anything about it

Financial pressures also see less than ideal finances prevail in SA (BOTH clubs), and Queensland (both clubs) and NSW (Both clubs). In fact two of the worst clubs financially in recent times arent in victoria at all. Guess theres an oversupply of footy in South Australia and Queensland too.

Hell, if it came down to being consistently profitable the league would consist of
  • West Coast
  • Fremantle
  • Collingwood
  • Hawthorn
  • Geelong
Every other club has skated along either side of the profitability line or is well below it in recent times.

Not every crowd has to be a blockbuster or even reach 30,000 - and the fault for the ones that do likes squarely with the AFL itself where Etihad is concerned. Which is why it will be interesting to see what happens with the new perth stadium, given that its unlikely the WAFC will get the same rent arrangement its had at subiaco.
the difference between those Victorian & Interstate clubs is, the Victorian clubs own large quantity of poker machines & gaming venues. with the exception of the Lions, the other interstate clubs do not. That easy money adds millions to the overall revenue allowing the clubs to spend extra

Western Bulldogs run by successful Lawyer. North run by a failed ex cricketer. Enough said.
WB run by a lawyer who had to work his absolute backside off to make it. North run by a bloke who flapped around playing shield cricket, then did a bit of breakfast radio, arvo radio and talked some sports on TV. I know what I'd rather be doing.

Either way it's irrelevant. Eddie McGuire is one of the most successful Presidents of modern times yet was a corporate disaster. Melbourne's board has been run by well credentialed business men and women one after another.

It's irritating, this assumption that interstate teams should always be the ones shunted off to play in the boondocks.
If the Vic ALP wants to subsidise football in Ballarat let two Vic teams play there. Maybe one of the 14 or 15 games Collingwood and Richmond would otherwise play at the MCG

That's a good point, only for the two Western Australia sides though. Play Geelong at Etihad, GWS in Canberra and Hawthorn in Melbourne.

You mean the people who own WA footy, the WA taxpayer, no elitist freeloaders creaming our game like the stadium managers at the MCG. Clearly a big difference is the WA model encourages joining your footy club to go to the footy, no competing offers from the Cricket Club or the AFL Members (there was a WANFL Members Club long ago & it went the way of the dodo, unlike Vic & SA that hang on to anything old, good or bad).
When the clubs that put the game on are shortchanged ...

So are the WA taxpayers getting a financial return on their massive investment?

Why don't you like small clubs?

He more just hates Victorian clubs and loves everything WA.

If WA does it, that's the perfect method.

He's more than happy to kill off small Vic clubs and replace them with small clubs elsewhere (eg Tas).

Western Bulldogs run by successful Lawyer. North run by a failed ex cricketer. Enough said.
193549_james_brayshaw.jpg

Either way it's irrelevant. Eddie McGuire is one of the most successful Presidents of modern times yet was a corporate disaster.

I wouldn't say McGuire is a corporate disaster.
The company he owns is responsible for 50 percent of Foxtel's current programming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean the people who own WA footy, the WA taxpayer, no elitist freeloaders creaming our game like the stadium managers at the MCG. Clearly a big difference is the WA model encourages joining your footy club to go to the footy, no competing offers from the Cricket Club or the AFL Members (there was a WANFL Members Club long ago & it went the way of the dodo, unlike Vic & SA that hang on to anything old, good or bad).
Interesting, never knew a WANFL membership existed. What was it like? Essentially just free admittance to any WAFL match?

Interesting, never knew a WANFL membership existed. What was it like? Essentially just free admittance to any WAFL match?

Dunno, but if you remember the old Subi oval there used to be a stand on the Eastern side of the 2 tier stand. That was the members stand and i'm pretty sure that was only accessible to WAFL members. I don't know when the membership stopped being sold, but at the latest it was when that stand was demolished.

WB run by a lawyer who had to work his absolute backside off to make it. North run by a bloke who flapped around playing shield cricket, then did a bit of breakfast radio, arvo radio and talked some sports on TV. I know what I'd rather be doing.

Either way it's irrelevant. Eddie McGuire is one of the most successful Presidents of modern times yet was a corporate disaster. Melbourne's board has been run by well credentialed business men and women one after another.
Eddie is backed by some of the smartest people going. Also Eddie didn't lose Ballarat. Melbourne just need players. Recruitment is there issue.

All have their strengths and weaknesses. Eddie's weakness is his hubris which doesn't allow him to believe others are as capable as him, so he won't ever step away even though is time is clearly up and the club needs change.

For all of Kennetts weaknesses (lack of football knowledge, big mouth), unlike Eddie he knew the club needs change to reinvigorate.

Ultimately it's about flags so you can't really go past the boards at Hawthorn and Geelong in recent times. Everybody else lags behind to some degree small or massive.

If we could have one thread about victorian clubs that didnt involve certain West Australians of the board and their anti victorian diatribes Id be very much delighted. Note: Personal note, not moderator directive.

the difference between those Victorian & Interstate clubs is, the Victorian clubs own large quantity of poker machines & gaming venues. with the exception of the Lions, the other interstate clubs do not. That easy money adds millions to the overall revenue allowing the clubs to spend extra

Brisbane have a massive pokie facility at Springfield. Both Port and the Crows have at times dabbled in pokie licensed establishments I believe.

If we could have one thread about victorian clubs that didnt involve certain West Australians of the board and their anti victorian diatribes Id be very much delighted. Note: Personal note, not moderator directive.

Brisbane have a massive pokie facility at Springfield. Both Port and the Crows have at times dabbled in pokie licensed establishments I believe.
thats the lions social club, in Springwood. Where the proposed new training admin facility for the Lions is Springfield, but nothing had been built there yet

I always thought it was the AFL's intention to "expand" the game outside of Victoria.

If I was Footscray, I would push hard to play a season opener overseas in London when they have the opportunity to use The Oval before the English Cricket Season starts. That could do them many more wonders considering that people from Ballarat probably already support an AFL team of their own, whereas people in London probably have never seen a non-round Rugby ball in their life.

Their Bulldog mascot is an absolute freebie marker of identity to the English.

I always thought it was the AFL's intention to "expand" the game outside of Victoria.

If I was Footscray, I would push hard to play a season opener overseas in London when they have the opportunity to use The Oval before the English Cricket Season starts. That could do them many more wonders considering that people from Ballarat probably already support an AFL team of their own, whereas people in London probably have never seen a non-round Rugby ball in their life.

Their Bulldog mascot is an absolute freebie marker of identity to the English.

Yeah, get the Weagles or Freo to play you, they love to travel :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back