Brendan McCartney - murmurings Getting louder

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone post the video of the speech he made to an AFL function either late last year or this year. It was super impressive.

He sounds like he knows exactly what it takes to have success.

If senior players aren't buying into it, then he need not worry about keeping them happy.
A strong club is a ruthless club.

Knowing something and implementing what you know can sometimes be miles apart.

Man-managing is not an easy task and you can't be the only one in the chain of what goes out to the players in order to get the best out of them.

Good coaches have the right people around them.

I'm not in the same vein as a lot of other Bulldogs supporters.
He might be a good bloke, but he's got zero tactical nous for a game (which may or nay not be attributed to his lack of playing at the highest level), whatever culture or game style he's implementing, it's way too slow, two clubs with first-year coaches in GWS and Brisbane have moved past us, and I would put money on us finishing bottom two.
This is before you get into the players quitting the club like Tutt and Jones which who may not be superstars but the fact that people are walking out due to differences with the coach - whether it be the captain or the waterboy - isn't a good sign for the coach.
Poor start to the year and I reckon we won't be discussing it any more.

Might as well throw it away then.
Good list management and drafting, taking players like Bonts, Hrovat, Stringer, Macrae, Honeychurch in the last couple of years, and then Wallis, Talia, Liber, Dahl, JJ with good value-for-money picks in the years before it might paper over the cracks of a bad coach, and improvement from them might win a few games off their own boot next year just with raw footballing ability in spite of a poor coach.
But tactically speaking, and in aspects like team selection, I doubt there's a worse coach. Look no further than the very last game we played, lost to GWS with 20 players in their injury list, at a stadium at to that point that they had not won a game at yet, because we were so comprehensively, tactically outcoached. We had +15 inside 50's from that game from memory, yet the way that our forward line and delivery was structured and done - tactical aspects of the game, not the ability of the players, I'm talking about the aspects of the game the coach can control - was so, so much worse than a bloody first year coach in Leon Cameron.

Good list management and drafting, taking players like Bonts, Hrovat, Stringer, Macrae, Honeychurch in the last couple of years, and then Wallis, Talia, Liber, Dahl, JJ with good value-for-money picks in the years before it might paper over the cracks of a bad coach, and improvement from them might win a few games off their own boot next year just with raw footballing ability in spite of a poor coach.
But tactically speaking, and in aspects like team selection, I doubt there's a worse coach. Look no further than the very last game we played, lost to GWS with 20 players in their injury list, at a stadium at to that point that they had not won a game at yet, because we were so comprehensively, tactically outcoached. We had +15 inside 50's from that game from memory, yet the way that our forward line and delivery was structured and done - tactical aspects of the game, not the ability of the players, I'm talking about the aspects of the game the coach can control - was so, so much worse than a bloody first year coach in Leon Cameron.

What was wrong with his yeam selections

What was wrong with his yeam selections
Let me see
  • No support for Minson carrying an injury
  • No tall players in our lineup
  • Playing Stringer and Crameri to be taller than they actually are
  • Early part of the season, before Austin came in, we were well short in Key Defenders to the point that Tom Young was getting games as a key tall. Case in point was round 1 when West Coast played 2 key forward, 2 ruckman and a ruck/forward and we had all 190cm of Dale Morris as the second tall defender
  • Playing players out of position, like Wallis on the wing last year, when he's not a wingman
  • Players like Mark Austin getting 11 games
  • Irrespective of their "development" in the VFL, at the end of the day Talia and Roberts did not play enough games
  • Dropping players like Tutt and Roberts when they played well in the AFL, but not dropping players like Cooney

Bad decision by the dogs. Should have moved on the disgruntled senior players instead of the coach.
They'll be moved on, regardless.

That's what makes this McCartney resignation so disappointing. He needed to see this through, for the good of the club.

We need a coach who unites the players. Unfortunately Brendan divided them, and his postion had become untenable.

He is great at developing young players, but not so good at pampering the fragile psyches of veterans who see the young bucks as threatening their jobs.

Bad decision by the dogs. Should have moved on the disgruntled senior players instead of the coach.
They haven't done this for about 25 years. In a decade, Macrae and Bont will be the ones making the calls and holding the gun. It's a bizarre culture and one obviously curated by example. It's pretty rotten and it cannot exist, and if someone like Aker calls it out, you know there's fundamental flaws; questions that must be asked.

There has to be a top to toe clean out at the Bullies. Same with Richmond, same with Carlton. Freo still have one or two lingering turds in the toilet who just wouldn't flush, and they're the ones that'll annoy you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back