Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
New senior coach Brendon Bolton has interviewed Craig, who heads a list of candidates for what is shaping up as a major overhaul of the Carlton coaching team.

Is director of coaching the boss of all coaches? So Bolton interviewed and picked his boss??:p

yeah sounds like it, similar to Bomber overseeing Essendon with Hird as head coach but we all know who the real head coach was.

Think this overseeing role is someone to keep tabs on the assistant coaches, sell the message etc so Bolts doesn't have to micromanage line coaches. Like Bolton's proxy.

Neil Craig would be a bad choice and if he gets this director of coaching role (which I think is total rubbish) it will smell like Trigg giving his old Adelaide mate a job.

I dont understand the job what did Rodney Eade really do to help Nathan Buckley when he was director of coaching? If the team performs badly it is still senior coach under pressure.

To those of you unhappy with this latest development, please list the reasons why Craig would be a bad choice.

He knows what it takes to play finals football, JC himself couldn't have helped Melbourne when he was there, and Arsendon...well...the less said about that the better...

If BB has had a chat and thinks they will work well together, what's the problem?

To those of you unhappy with this latest development, please list the reasons why Craig would be a bad choice.

He knows what it takes to play finals football, JC himself couldn't have helped Melbourne when he was there, and Arsendon...well...the less said about that the better...

If BB has had a chat and thinks they will work well together, what's the problem?

Craig is fine given the scope of works he can oversee/have input into.

Craig was on our hit list well before we appointed the panel to search for our coach, anyway.

BB say yes.
That's all we need to know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Craig is fine given the scope of works he can oversee/have input into.

Craig was on our hit list well before we appointed the panel to search for our coach, anyway.

when you say hitlist you don't mean we went to have him whacked but somehow we ended up employing him?

when you say hitlist you don't mean we went to have him whacked but somehow we ended up employing him?

Not exactly. :) I understand that we did court him for the head of fitness post that was to be open with Buttifant's impending clearance.

I'm happy for him to take over the Wiley role though as he is instructive around young people. You have to coach the mind as well as the body.

Could do worse than Neil Craig.

What does a "Director of Coaching" actually do, anyway? Is it in-case we get a Brendan Floggard type who wants to make a movie?

Think there needs to be clear and defined roles.
If Craig is Director of coaching where does this leave Andy Mckay who is the boss of the football department.

1 massive criticism of Craig when he coached Adelaide was his lack of a plan B and being very stubborn in the box and refusing to change things when his team was losing.

If Craig is Director of coaching where does this leave Andy Mckay who is the boss of the football department.

1 massive criticism of Craig when he coached Adelaide was his lack of a plan B and being very stubborn in the box and refusing to change things when his team was losing.

Craig wouldn't be coaching though.

Would have varied roles, including introducing best practices

Craig wouldn't be coaching though.

Would have varied roles, including introducing best practices
And in those roles he has performed well elsewhere. I have been impressed by him on a number of occasions listening to him on the radio discussing the * saga. Doesn't skirt the issues and answers those stupid gotcha questions reasonably and rationally.

And in those roles he has performed well elsewhere. I have been impressed by him on a number of occasions listening to him on the radio discussing the * saga. Doesn't skirt the issues and answers those stupid gotcha questions reasonably and rationally.

I think some didn't like Bolton because he didn't come across as an Alpha-male and some don't like Craig because of his coaching history and that he's...old.

With Wiley now having moved on, we need a Neil Craig type. Would be happy to have him at our club.

So I finally got around to listening to last Friday's SEN thingy...

Two points that sprang to mind;

He is the complete opposite of MM in terms of approach. I'm happy to admit I was an MM adherent, and felt we needed someone with the runs on the board. He did feel, however, very scatter-gun in his approach towards the end...mixed messages, if you will. This has been discussed AT LENGTH on this board so no need for more. As for BB, I couldn't be more sure that he has developed a plan, thought about that plan, and will stick to that plan come hell or high water. I'm not talking about game style here...more about, 'We need A, B, C, D, etc... to be in place to be successful, and until they are in place we won't be doing anything other than putting them in place.'

He feels to me like a more considered Ratts. Again, this isn't game style, just the vibe I get from a young, energetic bloke who has an idea of what it takes to be successful. Obviously BB has reached this point the long way, and as he pointed out several times, getting into the system is the hard part...ain't no fool gonna get to his level. He has thought long and hard about what success in league footy looks like. Ratts was working more from his gut-feel, imo...and deservedly so, he's an AA, BnF, premiership winning gun...

Anyways, that's what I think, so deal with it.

One can have all the game-plans, strategies and ideas in place but if you can't bring the planning to the field, it counts for little.

Ratten had a good tactical mind, but didn't yet have the personality to bring all the elements together..........amid fighting with city hall.
Malthouse may have well spent too much time fighting with the powers at be.................ultimately to his own downfall.

Listen to what Bolton had to say last week and you may find he already acknowledges some of the battle he has ahead............and it's not just with the playing group. Message came across loud and strong to me.............I hope it did with others, also.

Not at all Harks. Doubt very much that Bolton took on this job expecting to have battles with 'city hall' as you put it.

They spent a great deal of time together in the interview process ensuring they were on the same page. He is only reiterating the need to maintain that.

Last edited:

Andy McKay can now dedicate himself wholeheartedly to determining player contracts for new recruits...

200.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back