Brett Deledio in 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Megaman123

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Just read on the AFL site that Deledio is a restricted free agent at the end of the year, and the Cats were thrown up (with Collingwood and GWS) as clubs who may target him. Where will we stand in regards to salary cap, and would we look at getting him to maintain our list?

Personally, I think he would be the perfect sought of fit to continue moving forward, good age, versatile. Would cost a fair bit, but he could be the next Ottens type big recruit who would help the transition period.

Re: Brett Deledio 2013?

not worth the money he'd cost

Was Ottens cheap back in the day? (I don't actually know the details of that trade)

I'd take him and I think geelongs position (salary cap wise) will be improving drastically over the next few years.

He is holding off contract talks because he wants to see some success

I think his efforts in a (mainly) losing team have been admirable, I'd love to see him play in a team where he might be the 3rd or 4th player the opposition plot against, instead of being number 1 each week.

also. I dunno why but I see a lot of Deledio in Mitch Duncan

Was Ottens cheap back in the day? (I don't actually know the details of that trade)

I'd take him and I think geelongs position (salary cap wise) will be improving drastically over the next few years.

He is holding off contract talks because he wants to see some success

I think his efforts in a (mainly) losing team have been admirable, I'd love to see him play in a team where he might be the 3rd or 4th player the opposition plot against, instead of being number 1 each week.

also. I dunno why but I see a lot of Deledio in Mitch Duncan

He will only be 26 next year, and would offer a great deal to the side. With Enright coming to the end, he could be that creative, running half back for the next 6 years. Or play in the midfield, where him, Bartel, Selwood etc would form a pretty handy, and versatile, midfield. He would probably demand a pretty high price, I agree, but I think he is a fair better option than someone like Dangerfield, who is also mentioned as a target.

no doubt he can play... but... he'll be 26...

Duncan (with another preseaason and 12 months of footy under his belt)
Selwood
Kelly
Varcoe
Christensen (another 12 months and preseason on)

You get the drift. I reckon a bone fide gun Key forward would be much more needed. Hawkins is gonna be a star, but Pods is 30. There is no knowing if any of our young forwards will actually come up. Lets go target Patton or someone like that and throw everything at one star forward.

Selwood
Kelly
Varcoe

You get the drift. I reckon a bone fide gun Key forward would be much more needed. Hawkins is gonna be a star, but Pods is 30. There is no knowing if any of our young forwards will actually come up. Lets go target Patton or someone like that and throw everything at one star forward.

I know he isnt Chris Judd, but he moved to Carlton as a 25 year old, and has given them 5 years this year of super service. Im not saying he will be that good for Geelong, but he is a great player in an average side, he could be a fantastic player with all those young guns you mentioned. And he is more likely to be a replacement over the years for an Enright, Chapman, Corey etc rather than take a youngsters spot.

And I agree a KPF would be great, but going by your reasoning with our midfield, there is Hawkins, M Brown, Vardy, West, Kersten etc to work with.

I know he isnt Chris Judd, but he moved to Carlton as a 25 year old, and has given them 5 years this year of super service. Im not saying he will be that good for Geelong, but he is a great player in an average side, he could be a fantastic player with all those young guns you mentioned. And he is more likely to be a replacement over the years for an Enright, Chapman, Corey etc rather than take a youngsters spot.

And I agree a KPF would be great, but going by your reasoning with our midfield, there is Hawkins, M Brown, Vardy, West, Kersten etc to work with.

nope. Brown, Vardy and Kersten have shown nothing yet. Nothing of serious substance anyway. Opposed to that, Duncan, Christensen, menzel varcoe and Selwood (smaller players) have shown that they can sustain their form over a period of time and are in fact premiership players. Massive difference.

Who would you be willing to give up to get him also?

To get Otto we sent Moloney to Melbourne...not sure what picks either.

Great way to ruffle the feathers of the current playing group by going and offering Lids around 800K.

We don't need to be a big player with free agency IMO. We draft talented kids and develop them in a quality environment and it hasn't let us down yet.

I'd like it. Is a very good player with the potential to be elite, and would be particularly valuable from a games played/age perspective. He'd be 26 in 2013 with 170ish games under his belt - we've only got Varcoe, Selwood and Hawkins in a similar bracket.

But it'll never happen.

Who would you be willing to give up to get him also?

To get Otto we sent Moloney to Melbourne...not sure what picks either.

Great way to ruffle the feathers of the current playing group by going and offering Lids around 800K.

We don't need to be a big player with free agency IMO. We draft talented kids and develop them in a quality environment and it hasn't let us down yet.
It sounds like success is the reason he may want to leave Richmond not necessarily money. There seems to be no real issue with money, he just wants to play finals. A lot would depend on how much he wants and I don't think it will necessarily be a bidding war if it happens, otherwise, he would be saying I'm interested in GWS (to drive up his price) - which has been ruled out.

Also, the cost of trading for him is non existent as any free agency compensation is paid by the AFL like with the GC/GWS signings. Hence, the cost in terms of talent would be nil if Geelong could pull it off.

you be silly if you think we dont need a player of delidios quality.

He played mainly off hb rotating through the middle last year, we have enright, scarlett, jhunt, wojak finishing up in a year or two. sure we can throw guys like bartel, kelly down back but they not the type to create drive or break the lines..

established:

taylor, mackie, lonegan

unproven:

thunt, gillies, smedts, gutherie, varcoe, etc...

thats a terribley thin backline..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dangerfield FTW. Geelong loves hard players and he's one of em. Plus being a jet helps too. More likely you'd think considering he's from moggs creek. Ablett compensation plus a medium player

Agreed would prefer Dangerfield over him, but would still be a great get. Will be very interesting next year seeing if a quite a few players all jump ship to one club, i.e. us (we will have some spare dollars in the cap over the next year or so) or carltank etc, chasing flags and not money in the last few years of their careers.

Would be handy.

But he can't expect to get paid his open market 'value' at Geelong, he needs to compromise and accept a lower wage for a big chance at success, just as the senior players on our list have.

Would be more than handy. Would be a much better player in a better side.

But...

For us to get him under limited FA we have throw huge dollars at him or Rich will simply match $$$ and then he would still be tied to them.

After 10 years , he would be able to walk to who ever for min wage if he simply wanted success and Tigers could not stop him

Selwood
Kelly
Varcoe

Cant say I really do get the drift...

Kelly will be pushing 29, so take him out.

Deledio is an absolute star playing in an underachieving side.

Key position forward or not - if he's the best player on the market, we'd be stupid not to have a crack at him. Would be a terrific fit into the club with his excellent attitude.

He would be a walk up start into the Geelong of 2007-09.

Meaning??

He would be fantastic in our 2012 and beyond teams. Fast, skilled, ready made hbf or mid, perfect back up for Enright. By 2013, we could be minus Corey, Scarlett, Chappy and Wojo, Enright not far behind.$$$ would not be an issue.

No doubt we'll have the room in the cap to make a good bid, but I suspect up to a point Richmond will match other clubs bids (he's still only a restricted free agent not an unrestricted one) and the point you would have to go to to get them to not match the bid would likely make him the highest paid player on our list. He's very good, and would comfortably sit inside our best side and is in a good age bracket for us, but with the culture of a flat payment structure that we have, I can't see us turning that upside down to get him.

Regardless, if we do go down the FA route, list needs would suggest that as good as Deledio is, another good key defender or key forward would be the greater need for our list.

He would be a walk up start into the Geelong of 2007-09.

Thats probably fair. If he had come to Geelong in 04 , does anyone really doubt that he would have secured a spot by 07? Selwood did it after being drafted 06

Who would he replace is probably the question but imo he would have been in our best 22 in our Flag era. Someone compared him to Duncan , and he has done it in two years cant see any reason a #1 draft pick would take much longer.

Just read on the AFL site that Deledio is a restricted free agent at the end of the year, and the Cats were thrown up (with Collingwood and GWS) as clubs who may target him. Where will we stand in regards to salary cap, and would we look at getting him to maintain our list?

Personally, I think he would be the perfect sought of fit to continue moving forward, good age, versatile. Would cost a fair bit, but he could be the next Ottens type big recruit who would help the transition period.

The new veterans list rule will see us with possibly $700k in savings as we could put 7 players on the Vet list at $100k each being taken off of the TPP.

For me I would like to see this money spent on securing the 2009 draft players long term with any left over going to see if we could attract a KPD to help cover the eventual Scarlo retirement

One thing I will say is that I do think we will definitely make a bid for Deledio for 2 reasons:

1. If he leaves Richmond it's likely to be about desiring to play finals, which means he'll try and get to a current top 4 club (unlikely given those clubs are short on cap space) or a mid level club that he thinks is capable of pushing for finals in 2-3 years. Either way that's a direct competitor to us on field, and so if it looks like he will move, it's in our competitive interest to at least bid, and make it as challenging as possible for him to improve a 'flag rival' etc.

2. It becomes a good test case for the club in any future free agency plans we have. I.e. how far will Richmond go to match an offer for a player if he decides he doesn't want to be there? What is the tipping point? (indicative of what would be the tipping point for other clubs with their FA eligible players) Putting in a bid for him helps the club learn that, and that knowledge becomes very useful in any future attempt to get restricted free agents by us.

Combine that with the fact that we know due to 2011 retirements, 2012 retirements and the vets list changes that we will definitely have the cap room to make a strong bid, it makes sense that we will do so. I'm just not sure that the end result will be him ending up here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back