Brownlow Medal 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I still don't get how Nat Fyfe for example gets so many votes. Not because he's not a brilliant player, he is. But the Brownlow is unique as it is awarded to the fairest and most brilliant player over a season. Fyfe was already suspended by round 3 so he should be ineligible for any votes from that point on. He is no longer one of the fairest players in that season as defined by the voting rules of the Brownlow.
no, thats not right, he wouldnt get votes from the game he got suspended in but if he is in the best 3 in any individual game after that he deserves the votes, otherwise it isnt the best 3 players on the day getting votes.

no, thats not right, he wouldnt get votes from the game he got suspended in but if he is in the best 3 in any individual game after that he deserves the votes, otherwise it isnt the best 3 players on the day getting votes.

Yeah we had that discussion. I acknowledge the anomaly but I still don't like the system. Oh well.

1606925_10152328914253053_7324823302482692125_n.jpg

For my own amusement I compared the statistics between Tredrea, 2004 and Franklin, 2014:

Year KI MK HB DI GL BH
Franklin 2014 256 134 97 353 75 49
Tredrea 2004 286 192 105 391 81 44

50 more disposals, 60 more marks, 6 more goals.
Tredrea gets 15 brownlow votes, Franklin gets 22 votes.

It seems clearer and clearer to me that umpires shouldn't be the ones deciding the AFL's most prestigious award.

For my own amusement I compared the statistics between Tredrea, 2004 and Franklin, 2014:

Year KI MK HB DI GL BH
Franklin 2014 256 134 97 353 75 49
Tredrea 2004 286 192 105 391 81 44

50 more disposals, 60 more marks, 6 more goals.
Tredrea gets 15 brownlow votes, Franklin gets 22 votes.

It seems clearer and clearer to me that umpires shouldn't be the ones deciding the AFL's most prestigious award.

But Buddy spends half his game playing on the wing. That makes him eligible to get mid fielders votes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha was Kane annoyed he got 3 in the March showdown when he might have got 33 disposals but the majority were meaningless. Hartlett wins the medal and doesnt get a vote.

I think Priddis is a good player, but a brownlow medallist on this season is crap. Gray, Fyfe, Ablett, Boak all had better years.

I still cant get over Dangerfields polling. I think he is a great player, but i think he even would have thought that he was no show. He puts together a season and he will def get one in the next few years.

I think Priddis is a good player, but a brownlow medallist on this season is crap. Gray, Fyfe, Ablett, Boak all had better years.

I still cant get over Dangerfields polling. I think he is a great player, but i think he even would have thought that he was no show. He puts together a season and he will def get one in the next few years.
x2. Why not just call it the "showpony" medal now, because that is what it will become.

But I think we are missing that the umpires did eventually get it nearly right with the top votegetters. Ablett would have won but for his injury, Fyfe would have come second but for his suspension and Priddis would have come third. And Kennedy, Franklin and Boak would have been right up there. The only total stuff-up, and even the Adelaide board would have to agree on this, was Dangermouse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back