Analysis Brownlow Medal banter - frock-up, raise that Crownie and join us for all the glamour

Remove this Banner Ad

my favourite moment was realising that selwood's whinging doesn't go unnoticed by the umps and he didn't romp it home like the media predicted.

I'm wondering if the ducking to draw free kicks counts against him given the frequency with which it happens. Technically the umpire might feel obliged to pay a free at the time, but using gamesmanship to win frees diminishes his general standing in the fairness department. The whinging would not help either.

To raise a hypothetical question - not a troll - where would Priddis sit in our side? For me, he'd be battling Sewell or Langford. He would have the better of Sewell (who cannot be understated) but it's almost as if you'd rather Langford in there with his drive and enthusiasm for the contest at such a young age.

Anyone else have thoughts on this and care to waste some time drawing a comparison?

He'd be handy at Box Hill, might struggle to get a game ahead of Woody and Hallahan

To raise a hypothetical question - not a troll - where would Priddis sit in our side? For me, he'd be battling Sewell or Langford. He would have the better of Sewell (who cannot be understated) but it's almost as if you'd rather Langford in there with his drive and enthusiasm for the contest at such a young age.

Anyone else have thoughts on this and care to waste some time drawing a comparison?

He'd be an upgrade on Sewell definitely. Depends on Langford as a ball winner he has him covered and disposal I'll give Langford the edge. Speed is Langford's way though but we Langers doesn't have the runs on the board in terms of consistency which Priddis can boast. I reckon he could maybe take Shiels spot although Shiels is a better run with player.

Depends on matchups I guess. I could fit him into the 22 but he wouldn't be in our top 10 players.

He talks to the umps a little too much...

The umpires need more than a good talking too.
They could do with some lessons on umpiring without bias also and wait......whats that other word......consistency.

Did poll well and hopefully, we can cut him loose from the tagging role a little bit more next year.
I was being facetious.

6th in the league for turnover, 52%DE and only 10 goals for the year in a side needing goal kicking mids.

We need Adelaide Hawk in here to give the "umpires don't watch the game" rant.

Hey, don't get me involved in a discussion about something so farcical as the Brownlow Medal. I couldn't give a stuff who the umpires think is the best player. And for the record, it's not that I think umpires don't watch the game, they just don't understand what they're watching.

I don't watch the Brownlow, it's right up there with the worst reality TV shows of all time. Goes all bloody night and is tedious as all hell. I couldn't care less what the players' squeezes are wearing, I couldn't care less about watching players guzzling grog and laughing at some crappy joke told whenever one of their team mates polls a vote, I certainly couldn't care less who the umpires think is the best midfielder in the game. Just a dull affair which the AFL have cleverly tinseled up to create an illusion something is actually happening.

No and if the other scenarios I listed hadn't occurred he probably wouldn't have won - I just think it's wrong to diminish his win through no fault of his own - he is no superstar but he never puts in less than 100% and the umps recognised that.

All that's true but I don't really get the 'he's a good bloke' or 'he always tries hard' argument.

Hodge should be a 7 time Brownlow medallist on that basis. It's supposed to reward the stand out player of the season. I'll never be convinced he was even close enough to that, despite the issues with Ablett etc.

Priddis? Surely they are taking the piss. Good player but far from the best in WA let alone the AFL. I guess what you do with the ball doesn't factor into the umps votes because if it did Priddis would rarely be in the votes. This is not me having a go at Priddis who seems like a good bloke and Consistent player but come on, best and fairest!

Also, Dangerfield polling 21 votes shows that the umps give votes on reputation not output. Lewis very stiff to only poll 11 votes but we have bigger fish to fry.

Also, well done on priddis. Won Me $65 and kept the medal out of the duckers hands

What was he paying? Never had a dabble this year but he had some really solid form during the season.

Well done Matt. I think it is a great result. Glad a media darling did not win it.

Tom Hawkins arrives for the buffet.

907458-fd18060a-4234-11e4-b1b2-871c50b86f82.jpg

I think I've finally found out why Hawkins is slightly cross-eyed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but between Buddy, Kennedy and McGlynn they polled more votes than all Hawthorn FC players combined. Heck not only the Syds 1, 2 and 3 but our best poll drew the same votes as the MyGlynn

The ultimate troll

How the * did we have an almost identical home and away season :confused:

Apart from Parker, does anyone else play for the Swines besides our ex-players? You wouldn't know it from the Brownlow votes or indeed the C7 coverage...

I really feel for Shane Woewodin. The poor bloke did bugger all in his career and the only thing he achieved was "Worst Brownlow medal winner of all time", but now that's been ripped from around his neck and given to a vanilla, nothing player.

On the plus side. Jonathan Simpkin has just realised he's a chance for the 2015 Brownlow.

basically this is the perfect quote "VANILLA NOTHING PLAYER WINS BROWNLOW, READ ALL ABOUT IT"

I really feel for Shane Woewodin. The poor bloke did bugger all in his career and the only thing he achieved was "Worst Brownlow medal winner of all time", but now that's been ripped from around his neck and given to a vanilla, nothing player.

On the plus side. Jonathan Simpkin has just realised he's a chance for the 2015 Brownlow.
People judge Woewodin based on his for AFTER he won the brownlow. I backed him in the year he won it. It was a great season and he deserved it. Most people didn't know who he was at the time and think he was nothing more than a solid player the year he won it when in actual fact he was pretty dam good.

Of all the players who got over 20 votes (8), only 3 of them are good kicks. The rest are average, or very, very average. Goes to show that umps are just looking at who's possessing it, not how they are possessing it.

Not what they're doing with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back