Brownlow Smokies

Remove this Banner Ad

May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Carlton, Tennessee Titans
Had a punt on a left-field Brownlow pick on the weekend, Mason Wood, and it got me thinking. It seems pretty rare now for someone not already considered for a decent period of time in the absolute top echelon of players to win the Chaz and last ones that I can think of would probably be Priddis and Cooney.

Any other smokie Brownlow picks getting around?

SportsBet were a bit sus about the bet too which is different story but it did make me wonder if everyone just assumes nowadays that the winner will be from the current crop of top-tier players like Oliver, Cripps, Neale etc and don't really consider anyone else (Daicos being the exception but arguably top-tier already anyway).

Ollie Wines in 2021 I thought was a bit of a stretch, I don't really follow the odds so I don't know if he was a smoky or not, though.

A lot of AFL casuals genuinely had no idea who Priddis was lol
Always been a handy player but I'd never considered him amongst the absolute best in the comp.

Ollie Wines in 2021 I thought was a bit of a stretch, I don't really follow the odds so I don't know if he was a smoky or not, though.
He had been talked up a fair bit that year as among the top 5 or so, but also probably not a result many saw coming.

Would you consider Jezza a smokie? seeing as forwards don't win brownlows.

I'd love to see him win it.
A lot of people think he's the best player in the comp at the moment so not in that sense, but current odds are around $21 so probably classed as a smokie.

Zach Merrett @51.00 not bad.
Going on previous form he's a decent pick.

Jake Soligo.

Seriously way too early to predict this type of stuff, probably after the half way point of the season is when we should be discussing this
It's not a prediction of who will win, it's players who are a chance that aren't often talked about in the Brownlow conversation. From a betting point of view waiting until halfway through the year to put a Brownlow bet on will give you odds so low as to not be worth a punt.

Jeremy Cameron $21.00

Probably the number 1 player in the AFL, so he is not really a Brownlow smokey. Juicy odds, though.
Who is going to take votes off him this year? Stewart, maybe a couple

Jordan Dawson $67.00
Tim English $101.00
Jack Sinclair $151.00

Whoever wins this year's Brownlow medal will need to get past Clayton Oliver and Christian Petracca on 27 and 26 votes apiece.
The Dees dynamic duo will quinella it, I reckon. The last club to do that was West Coast in 2005 (Cousins 20, Kerr 19)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. This is a betting shill thread by people who don't even get paid to shill.
I'm not telling anyone to make any bets, just interested to see what other people's thoughts are on left-field Brownlow picks. I personally enjoy a small punt but like most vices if you can't moderate yourself then you shouldn't be doing it.

Would be good to see a non midfielder win it for once.
Jeremy Cameron is easily the best player in the comp.
He's certainly light years better than Ollie Wines

Had a punt on a left-field Brownlow pick on the weekend, Mason Wood, and it got me thinking. It seems pretty rare now for someone not already considered for a decent period of time in the absolute top echelon of players to win the Chaz and last ones that I can think of would probably be Priddis and Cooney.

Any other smokie Brownlow picks getting around?

SportsBet were a bit sus about the bet too which is different story but it did make me wonder if everyone just assumes nowadays that the winner will be from the current crop of top-tier players like Oliver, Cripps, Neale etc and don't really consider anyone else (Daicos being the exception but arguably top-tier already anyway).
What odds did you get for Wood?

I hope he does well, but history says his body won't allow him to play enough games

Adelaide- Dawson
Brisbane- Dunkley
Carlton- Walsh
Collingwood- Mitchell / De Goey
Essendon- Merrett
Fremantle- Serong
Geelong- Cameron
Hawthorn- Sicily
Melbourne- Langdon
Gold Coast- Rowell
GWS- Coniglio
North- LDU
Richmond- Baker
Sydney- Gulden
West Coast- Kelly
St Kilda- Hill
Western Bull- English
Port Adelaide- Rozee

I'm not telling anyone to make any bets, just interested to see what other people's thoughts are on left-field Brownlow picks. I personally enjoy a small punt but like most vices if you can't moderate yourself then you shouldn't be doing it.

It just pisses me off to see the god-awful prices on offer.

What odds did you get for Wood?

I hope he does well, but history says his body won't allow him to play enough games
$501 on Saturday night, around the second quarter. By Sunday lunchtime he was in to $151, which for me is around what he should be so I wouldn't bet on him again now.

Would you consider Jezza a smokie? seeing as forwards don't win brownlows.

I'd love to see him win it.

If Buddy didn't win one when we he scored the ton no key forward ever will.

Cameron is the best player in the comp as was Buddy in 08 and it wasn't even close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back